Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #121
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I decided to go for it and ordered the Kindle Touch cover from Oberon. It works great with my T1! I am very happy. I wrote a detailed review in a separate post. Here's the link with more photos:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163426
Skinning an ereader is not my cup of tea, but that does not stop me from appreciating just how good your T1 looks!
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #122
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer102 View Post
...Sadly there is no magnetic closure. That's the only downfall I can see....
In case you haven't already seen it you might like to try this idea from another member. Maybe not particularly stylish but it works a treat.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 07:32 AM   #123
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Quote:
I find it interesting that no one really talks too highly of the sony branded covers.
They are just quite expensive, no genuine leather, etc.
I bit the bullet though (non lighted version), as I wanted to get something really light and tightly fitting.
If I had gone the luxurious way, I would have waited for the Noreve cover. I had one for my Gen.3 and really loved it. But what's the point of a cover, which is heavier than the reader itself?

So, I got the Sony cover, yes, it's a bit expensive, but you can't go lighter and tighter. I just does the best job for my needs.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #124
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
I find it interesting that no one really talks too highly of the sony branded covers. I bought the one with the light as I had one for my PRS505. I actually find the T1 case better than the original ones. It actually holds the reader so it is secure and not floppy. No weak plastic arms holding the reader in place. It works for me but by the sounds of these posts many of you are very creative. I wanted a case with a built in light because I find I need the light fairly often. Sadly there is no magnetic closure. That's the only downfall I can see.
I have had the lighted covers for the 505, 350 and the T1. I didn't mind the plastic tabs on the old design although I'd prefer a clip design. I think the 350 was the best design. The light was adjustable Hi or Lo. It had nice stitching instead of the obvious laminated look. It had the magnetic closure. The stylus was integrated into the ereader. I didn't like the 505 lighted cover because it was too bulky. I think if you had the lighted X50 covers in-between the 505 and T1 then that is why it's harder for people to get excited about the current cover. Perhaps if Sony had lowered the price to something more reasonable to go along with the obvious cost-cuts then people would consider it a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Skinning an ereader is not my cup of tea, but that does not stop me from appreciating just how good your T1 looks!
Thank you! I absolutely could not stand the glossiness of the T1. There is just too much sun & cloudless skies where I live (not that I'm complaining about that!). It functions like a mirror wherever I try to read inside my house. Now I am much happier without the glare.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #125
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
Quote:
Thank you! I absolutely could not stand the glossiness of the T1. There is just too much sun & cloudless skies where I live (not that I'm complaining about that!). It functions like a mirror wherever I try to read inside my house. Now I am much happier without the glare.
Yeah, the glare can be pretty awful. It used to not bother me, but when I traveled for the holidays and spent some time reading in an airport with lots of fluorescent lights overhead and daylight pouring in through the giant windows, the glare was horrible and distracting. It also revealed that the bezel on my T1 somehow picked up a light scratch over an inch long. I have no idea what could have caused it
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #126
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
Yeah, the glare can be pretty awful. It used to not bother me, but when I traveled for the holidays and spent some time reading in an airport with lots of fluorescent lights overhead and daylight pouring in through the giant windows, the glare was horrible and distracting. It also revealed that the bezel on my T1 somehow picked up a light scratch over an inch long. I have no idea what could have caused it
I took it with me to read while getting tires changed, and the glare from the fluorescent lights and windows in the waiting room was horrible so I know what you mean. I also have similar scratch (no idea how) and what looks like a small dent in the light (like that out of the box and must be an imperfection in the plastic). Now it's all covered up by the skin and not taunting me!
Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #127
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

How much of a hassle is it to correctly apply a skin? I always dread just putting a screen protector on devices because it almost never goes smoothly, and decal skins look like they would be worse, although the results can look quite nice
Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #128
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
How much of a hassle is it to correctly apply a skin? I always dread just putting a screen protector on devices because it almost never goes smoothly, and decal skins look like they would be worse, although the results can look quite nice
It's pretty easy. The skin is rather stiff, and you can reposition as you go.

It's much easier than applying screen protectors! I have yet to apply one of those without any air bubbles.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #129
Ozric
Zealot

Quote:
It's pretty easy. The skin is rather stiff, and you can reposition as you go.

It's much easier than applying screen protectors! I have yet to apply one of those without any air bubbles.
That's good to know, thanks. I might be dressing up my T1 here pretty soon, then
Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #130
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I will be buying one of the Gecko Lux covers shortly for my glare removal project. I have the Gecko basic cover with the corner holders and though a great cover, the glare is annoying me.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #131
Ozric
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I will be buying one of the Gecko Lux covers shortly for my glare removal project. I have the Gecko basic cover with the corner holders and though a great cover, the glare is annoying me.
Yeah, I was actually poised to get one of these from Tuff-Luv for that very reason:

http://tuff-luv.com/natural-hemp-boo...rown-5225.html

But Bookworm_Girl's thread describing how well an Oberon Designs cover for Kindle Touch works with the T1 has me thinking about getting one of those instead, even if I'd end up having to also get skin for the reader to eliminate the glare.

Glossy bezels on readers...boo
Old 01-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #132
cghipp
Zealot
cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cghipp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Yeah, I was actually poised to get one of these from Tuff-Luv for that very reason:

http://tuff-luv.com/natural-hemp-boo...rown-5225.html

But Bookworm_Girl's thread describing how well an Oberon Designs cover for Kindle Touch works with the T1 has me thinking about getting one of those instead, even if I'd end up having to also get skin for the reader to eliminate the glare.

Glossy bezels on readers...boo
I am looking at this one for my reader as well. I just want someone else with a red PRS-T1 to show their reader in this case first!
cghipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #133
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
I had a really terrific case delivered a couple of days back from:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B006...pf_rd_i=301128

I haven't found an english web-portal for it, but they do deliver to the US at a reasonable rate(€6,50 I think).

I think it's lots better than the Sony or Gecko cases and it's just WAY better than the Navitech.

I've written a comprehensive first impressions review in the german forum, but I'm too lazy to translate it.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163653

In about a week I'll post a full hands on with picutres right here.
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #134
Ozric
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghipp View Post
I am looking at this one for my reader as well. I just want someone else with a red PRS-T1 to show their reader in this case first!
Yeah, it's too bad they don't offer colors that match the ones the readers actually come in.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #135
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Angry Acase Kindle Touch Leather Case - lining color transfer problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by soseono View Post
I bought a Acase Kindle Touch Leather Case from Amazon ($11.45 w/ free Prime shipping) and the fit is perfect especially when I put in the T1 upside down
I'm taking back my recommendation. Today I took the reader out of the case, and the grey color from the case's lining had transferred to the reader's back surface. I lightly scrubbed with rubbing alcohol (didn't work), and then Lysol swipe; and although Lysol was somewhat effective, I couldn't get all of the grey spots out in the end.

I've found that the white T1's back tends to get dirty very quickly even before this incident, but this color transfer episode is worst of all. Anyway, if you have a white T1, stay away

Last edited by soseono; 01-08-2012 at 06:46 PM.
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote