Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
HoraceWimp
Enthusiast
HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Kobo Aura
Sony PRS-650 and Powerbook G4 running Mac OS X 10.5

Hello, new to the forum and new to eReaders and ebooks generally and am looking for some advice if possible.

I have searched for answers to some of the questions I'm asking here both on the web and through this forum and whilst I found some useful threads on the subject they didn't really answer my questions or asked used loads of acronyms I didn't know the meaning of!

I appreciate some of my problems can be solved fairly easily by simply upgrading computer hardware/software etc but for a variety of reasons at the moment that isn't an option for me.

I've finally decided to take the plunge and move over to reading books via an eReader and have done some initial research on possible readers that would suit my needs. I've rejected anything to do with Kindle/Amazon on ethical/moral grounds, I simply don't like the way they're trying to monopolise and dominate the market. Irrational perhaps, but that's me. I'm also not looking for a 'tablet computer', all I want to do is read ebooks on this device.

So with 'tablet computers' and Kindles out of the way, I've looked at Sony's, Kobo's and Nook's. To cut a long story short, I pretty much narrowed my search down to the Sony PRS-T1, T2 or 650.

Whilst functionally the PRS-T1 and T2 look great, for some irrational reason I just don't like the look of them aesthetically. I don't like the prominent logo at the bottom and those silver buttons and especially the glossy surface, I just know it's going to annoy me after a while, which leaves the 650. Whilst this one still has the logo, it's now at the top and the buttons at the bottom are far less prominent, which I prefer.

I know all that may sound a bit daft, but given I'm likely to be looking at this reader for long periods of time, I have to be comfortable with something visually and the PRS-650 just seems less cluttered.

So, having said all of that here's the question:

I'm currently running an Apple Powerbook G4 with OS X 10.5.8, how will I move files between the Sony and the Powerbook? Does Sony's software do this? I ask because when I looked at the latest release of Sony's software, it would not run on a G4 processor. Are there earlier versions that will?

If there aren't, can I simply move files across to the Sony via the Flash Memory Card slot?

I'm principally going to be reading either free ebooks or DRM free ones in ePub format.

Any and all thoughts and comments welcome, many thanks.
HoraceWimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Calibre can handle your library. I hardly ever use the sony software.

But even without software..

Yes, you can move files directly to a Flash Memory Card, infact pluggin in the 650 and or any sony (or other brand) into the usb of your computer presents the device as a usb device. The memory card and internal memory can be written and red to and from.

Then you can manually move file in/out etc.

As for logos a nice black sticker works fine to cover that up! I read somewhere sugar water can remove most printing off of plastic! or a mr clean magic eraser.. after awhile when you are reading from the device you will not notice the buttons, and or anything but the text you are reading. :-)

Good luck
tvuongpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
HoraceWimp
Enthusiast
HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoraceWimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle PW2, Kobo Aura
tvuongpham

Thank you for your reply, very helpful.

I do currently use Calbre on OS X but I have to say, it has to be one of the worst designed pieces of software I’ve ever seen. The GUI is dreadful and I don’t like using it at all. But being pretty much the only piece of software available for my current system for handling ebooks I’m stuck with it for the moment.

Given how much I dislike Calibre, I suspect I shall simply maintain a folder based system of file management for my ebooks and move them across to whatever ereader I end up with manually, using either of the methods you suggest.

It’s useful to know that the ereader will simply show up as a USB device which should enable the copying of files fairly straight forward.

I notice you have, or have used, a number of Sony devices as well as iPads, what’s your opinion of the Sony devices and iPads for reading books on?
HoraceWimp is offline   Reply With Quote