Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #1
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Any new info about the ASUS DR-900/DR-950?

Last I recall reading, it was supposed to be out by April... Did it get cancelled?

Last edited by Dave Berk; 05-26-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Probably just delayed... I think the last reports were from the hands-on at Cebit, first week of March.

If there's not new info at the Computex expo in June, I'd start to worry.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Last I read was May, but that's basically over with now. I wonder if the Sipix display is holding things up. I'm pretty sure Astak said that's what was holding up their 9" reader.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 05-26-2010 at 02:39 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Teddman
Addict
Teddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enoughTeddman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
The only other factor that did make me wonder was that ASUS recently announced that their netbooks would ship with the Kindle4PC app, which may or may not make it less likely they're still releasing their own discreet e-reader.
Teddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
Trini
Connoisseur
Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Trini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs650
I believe they're still to be released. The DR950 is nominated for the 2010 Taiwan Excellence Gold Award incidentally so is the Plato ereader form Benq (check out the Computex preview page) so hopefully some more release info on it (them) will be forth coming. I really hope they offically launch it as I was waiting to see what it cost so I can finally decide what reader to buy.
Trini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
It will be released in Aug (this year) but will cost £280 from PC World. I love the style and readability (from pics). Info from here.
  • Is the Sipix screen the same as an e-ink screen?
  • Is it more robust? (it looks quite large or is a case supplied?)
  • How does the touch screen compare to Wacom or Sony PRS600?
  • Has anyone played with one?
  • Is it too big to carry around ie on holiday?
Hopefully the firmware will be top notch considering it should of been released last month so they've had lots of time to fix bugs etc.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
According to the link that mike_bite_kite provided, the device supports only non-DRM ePub. Does anyone know if that has changed? I'd like to get one if it would support both the Sony and B&N types of ePub DRM.

But it also makes me wonder what Sony is planning to come out with. If the DR900/950 isn't released until August, it will bump up against the new Sony models which probably will be released August-September.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
SiPix is a bistable electrophoretic display just as e-ink is BUT it uses a different process and a "microcup" design to house the pixels. There has been no way to compare robustness since there hasnt been a product shipped yet. Glass substrate so its probably about the same.

Touch is capacitive. No one in the media has really played with one yet except for at cebit

charbax at cebit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAas61WyGA

engadget (got the touchscreen wrong)

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/1150/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mi0B...eature=related

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 05-28-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
scheichxodox
Zealot
scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scheichxodox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Glass substrate? I always thought Sipix is based on plastic: http://www.sipix.com/technology/index.html
scheichxodox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
sorry more correctly it uses a glass backplane . the microcup film is a sandwhich of transparent conductor, plastic substrate , embossed microcup layer and sealing top layer

that film is then married to a glass backplane http://www.sipix.com/technology/assembly.html to make a display module. that's currently.They could move to a foil or plastic backplane but i haven't heard of them doing so yet.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
Humbaba
Humbaba began at the beginning.

Device: none
Not much of an update, but apparently they're showing the 900 at Computex:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=942749
Humbaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just looked at both the computex site and the Asus site and I couldn't find any info on this machine. Is it still going ahead? for August? this year? is there any info on the 3G component?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:00 AM   #13
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I just looked at both the computex site and the Asus site and I couldn't find any info on this machine. Is it still going ahead? for August? this year? is there any info on the 3G component?
Try this site:

www.asustekdr900.com. I've been checking it daily since I found it, but nothing new so far.

Dan
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #14
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Are you sure about the link? I just get a server not found error.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #15
CTH
Zealot
CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CTH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpayment View Post
Try this site:

www.asustekdr900.com. I've been checking it daily since I found it, but nothing new so far.

Dan
Just a http:// to much
try this
www.asustekdr900.com
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote