Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
visgean
visgean began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g
Kindle 3 wifi mode monitor | sniffing

Hello, did anybody tried to get kindle 3 into monitor mode? I have tried it to do it by myself - but as i have expected - module is not supporting this operation. The wifi card used there is Atheros ar6000, acording to some messages i have found so far it´s the wifi card used in openmoko. So there should be some open drivers. It would be nice to run kismet on kindle...

btw: I failed to manually modprobe wifi - "modprobe ar6000" has no effect at iwconfig nor ifconfig at all... The results may be different if you manage to modprobe it manually because if it´s done automatically then "ifconfig wlan0 down" has no effect at all... (strange for me). I have noticed that there is script for running wifi at /opt/ar6k/host/support ... from the file /opt/ar6k/target/AR6002 we can see that wifi is actually not ar6000 but ar6002... That´s all I know about it.
visgean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
The kindle wifi chip supports three modes, iBSS (for adhoc), Master (for ap hosting), and Normal. I would think that master mode would have monitor or advanced functions. Try /etc/init.d/wifi stop, then /etc/init.d/wifi --mode=ap

Also, do /etc/init.d/wifid stop before putting the device in ap mode so the kindle doesn't auto reset the wifi module. In ap-mode do what you can. However, kismet is not ported to kindle and the kindle wifi drivers afaik is not supported by kismet.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:54 AM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Just wondering: what are the practical uses for this?

Do you plan to have a one-click connect to any WiFi with bad encryption so that you don't have to pay for 3G or what?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
visgean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Just wondering: what are the practical uses for this?

Do you plan to have a one-click connect to any WiFi with bad encryption so that you don't have to pay for 3G or what?
I dont have kindle 3G, only wifi, but anyway: no, i dont plan anything like that, i just love the idea... And why not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
The kindle wifi chip supports three modes, iBSS (for adhoc), Master (for ap hosting), and Normal. I would think that master mode would have monitor or advanced functions. Try /etc/init.d/wifi stop, then /etc/init.d/wifi --mode=ap

Also, do /etc/init.d/wifid stop before putting the device in ap mode so the kindle doesn't auto reset the wifi module. In ap-mode do what you can. However, kismet is not ported to kindle and the kindle wifi drivers afaik is not supported by kismet.
Thanks, I will try it.. IMHO there is no problem with compiling kismet on kindle - it´s a linux.. there should not be problem with drivers as far as they support monitor mode - "Kismet will work with any wireless card which supports raw monitoring (rfmon) mode, and (with appropriate hardware) can sniff 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, and 802.11n traffic" ...from the official site.

Thanks for your replies...
Old 02-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This would actually be pretty awesome if you could get it to work right. Just think... You could run aircrack-ng from your kindle. You could be hacking wep/wpa when people think you are reading a book!
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
This would actually be pretty awesome if you could get it to work right. Just think... You could run aircrack-ng from your kindle. You could be hacking wep/wpa when people think you are reading a book!
WPA isn't "crackable", it's brute-forceable, but not like WEP, which can be cracked. That is why I haven't seen a WEP network in a year. So, it wouldn't be that useful anyways.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm not sure why you say it's uncrackable... You can't really run a brute-force attack against it (unless aircrack-ng has added functionality recently), but using dictionary files and rainbow tables are definitely ways of "cracking" WPA
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #8
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
I'm not sure why you say it's uncrackable... You can't really run a brute-force attack against it (unless aircrack-ng has added functionality recently), but using dictionary files and rainbow tables are definitely ways of "cracking" WPA
I consider those "brute forcing".
Old 05-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #9
Zatakawa
Enthusiast
Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zatakawa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm curious, did visgean or anyone else get monitor mode or aircrack-ng working?
Zatakawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
visgean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatakawa View Post
I'm curious, did visgean or anyone else get monitor mode or aircrack-ng working?
Ergh, no, I had troubles with compilling tools for kindle platform which should be arm-something, also there is no gcc on kindle so you cant just compile aircrack or kismet for kindle. And I just did not have time for playing with it... BTW even if we would succeed IMHO it would eat battery in no more than hour...

You should have a look at /etc/init.d/wifi which controls wifi driver, also there seems to be open source driver for kindle wifi: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tivousbwifi/ , but i dont know whether it´s for kindle 3...
Old 07-19-2011, 04:04 AM   #11
rastik
Connoisseur
rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.rastik is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by visgean View Post
Ergh, no, I had troubles with compilling tools for kindle platform which should be arm-something, also there is no gcc on kindle so you cant just compile aircrack or kismet for kindle.
Try optware - you can get gcc and many other tools and libraries already compiled for Kindle (ARM architecture).
rastik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
khmann
Enthusiast
khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: b006
I wonder if it is best, getting started, to consider the k3 wireless capability sucks. In my free time I'm trying to get a rt2500 series USB miniPCI-E card working in the 3G slot. I'm really keen on the idea of running Karmetasploit - Kindle is a very unsuspicious platform in places like StarBucks...
khmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #13
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by khmann View Post
I wonder if it is best, getting started, to consider the k3 wireless capability sucks. In my free time I'm trying to get a rt2500 series USB miniPCI-E card working in the 3G slot. I'm really keen on the idea of running Karmetasploit - Kindle is a very unsuspicious platform in places like StarBucks...
The kindle has an atheros ar6000 chipset, which is actually really good. For example it supports AP mode and I'm pretty sure monitor mode. It's just that the amazon software doesn't use the full potential.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 PM   #14
khmann
Enthusiast
khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: b006
Maybe then try to get OpenWRT's madwifi-ng package compiled? It has working and stable AP, Adhoc Demo and monitor mode with injection.
khmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #15
fullbandwidth
fullbandwidth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
There are a few different versions of the ar6000 driver in various linux source trees. Of all those I've looked at, none support monitor mode - there's an ioctl for set/get monitor mode and the code is basically a stub. So, while you might be able to get iwconfig or iw to process the "go into monitor mode" command, when it talks to the driver via the ioctl, the driver simply won't do anything. It's also possible that, since the ar6k needs a firmware load in addition to a driver, and that firmware is Atheros proprietary, the firmware may not support monitor mode. That might explain why no one has ever implemented the monitor mode ioctls in the driver, which IS open source. I think the 2.6.3x (as of July 2011) linux kernel tree does contain an ar6000 driver, though it's not integrated with mac80211 or compat-wireless. I believe madwifi is (a) for ath5k and ath9k and (b) a dead effort, as support for those chipsets is migrating to compat-wireless.

Cheers
Fullbandwidth
fullbandwidth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, sniffing, wifi