Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #61
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@sydney's Mom: Feel free to continue using drop box, but just be aware of the pitfalls
Oh, I am aware of the pitfalls! I was having a problem backing up my brand new netbook - said it couldn't find the Calibre ebook library. Well, I had not only changed the library from the standard to my dropbox file, but I also deleted the empty default library. So, I tried to recreate that file, and point Calibre there. Well, Calibre was so helpful, it deleted all the books from my dropbox account and started putting them in the new (old) account. Well, I knew they weren't gone, so I went online and found out how to restore a previous version. It only took 5 minutes to reupload all those files. I just hope my netbook backup goes through.

Last edited by Sydney's Mom; 03-30-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 AM   #62
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
SirBC: Does your NAS allow you to run a Web Server on it? If so you might want to look at using Calibre2Opds as the way of allowing your family to access your library. That is how I do it.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #63
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
SirBC: Does your NAS allow you to run a Web Server on it? If so you might want to look at using Calibre2Opds as the way of allowing your family to access your library. That is how I do it.
Why do you do it that way rather than directly through the content server? (I can think of reasons, I just wondered what yours were.)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:36 PM   #64
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Why do you do it that way rather than directly through the content server? (I can think of reasons, I just wondered what yours were.)
I assume it is because calibre will not run on his NAS device while a web server software will.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:54 PM   #65
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume it is because calibre will not run on his NAS device while a web server software will.

BOb
Got it in one!

There is also the fact that the NAS runs 24x7 whereas the PCs that I use Calibre on do not.

The other point is that Calibre2Opds catalogs give more structured navigation than the Calibre Content server making it easier to use for most people. It is also by definition Read Only which was one of the things being asked for.

I looked at porting all the packages to the NAS to get Calibre Content Server to run there but gave it up as a bad job
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #66
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
So, for the NAS, are we talking about something that's *nix based or Windows Home Server, or something else?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #67
itimpi
Wizard

My NAS (and most of those I know off) are Linux based. However it is a cut-down variant of Linux with no support for GUI's etc which means things like Qt cannot be ported with any real chance of success.

The NAS have comes with Apache installed which is used to support the Web admin interface. I use modifed firmware to get in at the Linux command line level and that makes it easy to configure in a new web site to run under the Apache server. Quite a few NAS systems give user level access to the Web server without any need to hack the system.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #68
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
The NAS have comes with Apache installed
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #69
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
I believe it does (It's a QNAP 509). I will take a look at that program.
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #70
jemedwards
jemedwards began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hello:
Bigtime lurker here but I had to put on my Big Girl Pants and ask a question.
The conversation about Dropbox was great and I installed it on my laptop and Netbook.
I'm now working on my Netbook and I opened Calibre and changed the path for my books to the "secret folder" in the dropbox public folder area.
However my books aren't showing up. I see them in the dropbox "secret folder" but they not being pulled into Calibre so I have 0 books.
Does it have something to do with the metadata file (which reads at 76k)? I saw an earlier reply regarding the metadata file but I don't know how to apply it to me.
I also have a _catalog folder but the only folder in there is "thumbnails" and it's empty. BTW the laptop is off so I don't have dropbox or calibre open anywhere except on this netbook now.

I don't have the knowledge that you folks have regarding techology so I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong so I'd appreciate any assistance I can get here please.
Thanks so much.
jemedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #71
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemedwards View Post
dropbox .... my books aren't showing up.
...Does it have something to do with the metadata file
Yes, it has to do with your metadata file. The metadata file provides Calibre with a list of all of your books. If there is a metadata.db file in your library folder (the one Calibre is pointed to), and you don't see any books in Calibre, then that file is empty, even if you have books in the folder. To fix this, you need to get all your books into your library folder and get the right metadata.db file in there.

Be careful about starting your laptop, as the "empty" metadata.db file may be newer, and may be written over your good metadata.db file on the laptop. Wait for someone who knows dropbox to help you get the files squared away. It may be a simple matter of waiting for dropbox to finish, or you may have to look for CONFLICT files.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #72
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemedwards View Post
I'm now working on my Netbook and I opened Calibre and changed the path for my books to the "secret folder" in the dropbox public folder area. However my books aren't showing up.
Secret folder???

Anyway... I assume you had nothing in dropbox yet when you did this? How long did you wait? Calibre has to copy all the files over to the new folder. Once it does that it should work the same.

Or, did you do this on the desktop first then do it on the netbook?

BOb
Old 06-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #73
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
HELP!!

So I stumbled across this thread from a while ago and Syndney's Mom basically asked the same question I had around Calibre libraries on multiple computers.

I have followed the advice, opening up a Dropbox account. I have uploaded my entire Calibre library which I typically keep on my Desktop to Dropbox. I want to be able to access the library from both my Desktop and Netbook. Everything appears to have uploaded successfully (the Dropbox arrow is green as are the subfolders). I have changed the directory on both instances of Calibre to the Dropbox location for both Netbook and Desktop.

Here's the problem: when I open up Calibre on either machine, the library is empty. Can someone provide me guidance on possibilities of what I am doing wrong? I appreciate any comments or suggestions.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #74
Katseye
Katseye began at the beginning.

Device: pc
I don't know what dropbox is but I am always leary of relying on an outside source to maintain my data. However, there is a very simple tool to do what the original poster asks that I use. It is free and works very well to use as a back up tool for the library and to synch changes.

Microsoft Synctoy

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Katseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #75
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
So I stumbled across this thread from a while ago and Syndney's Mom basically asked the same question I had around Calibre libraries on multiple computers.

I have followed the advice, opening up a Dropbox account. I have uploaded my entire Calibre library which I typically keep on my Desktop to Dropbox. I want to be able to access the library from both my Desktop and Netbook. Everything appears to have uploaded successfully (the Dropbox arrow is green as are the subfolders). I have changed the directory on both instances of Calibre to the Dropbox location for both Netbook and Desktop.

Here's the problem: when I open up Calibre on either machine, the library is empty. Can someone provide me guidance on possibilities of what I am doing wrong? I appreciate any comments or suggestions.
Did you use claibre to change the location of the library? Or did you just copy it manually?

BOb