Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #16
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Hey, can we also use this to control margins, font size, paragraph spacing etc?
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #17
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
Hey, can we also use this to control margins, font size, paragraph spacing etc?
Yes. Anything that is controllable by CSS and is supported by ADE is a fair game for this hack. You may need to use the !important modifier to override book's settings, though.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #18
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
I may have failed to express myself, too, because what I wanted to say was that I tried messing with the PRS-505 internals, in order to make the Adobe Digital Edition program use a user CSS stylesheet, but I failed ; you succeeded, and for this I thank you.

My PRS is now configured with Caecilia as my default font for ePub, and that's great !

Moderators, maybe we could pin this thread, because it's IMHO one of the major discoveries in the PRS-505 history...

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #19
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Yes. Anything that is controllable by CSS and is supported by ADE is a fair game for this hack. You may need to use the !important modifier to override book's settings, though.
I thought that might be the case.

Now if only the version of DE on the 505 would support text justification... Then I could completely replace LRF as my format of choice.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Moderators, maybe we could pin this thread, because it's IMHO one of the major discoveries in the PRS-505 history...
agreed, and pinned. bravo to pepak for this hack.

now, it would be great if you mad hackers could discover the userstyle.css for the 600 and 700 !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 PM   #21
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
now, it would be great if you mad hackers could discover the userstyle.css for the 600 and 700 !
The same hack I used should work for 600 and 700, IF we have an ability to flash them. If someone were to send me a current firmware image, I would replace it.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:28 AM   #22
pepak
Guru

If someone wants to give it a try, here you have a modified ADE for Sony PRS-600: http://tmp.pepak.net/hack-epubfonts-...ebug_only!.zip

I extracted it from the hacked russian firmware (http://translate.google.com/translat...D12146&prev=_t) and did the same modification that worked for PRS-505.

Note: I don't know if it works. I don't even know how to flash it back to the reader. If it breaks your reader, I don't know how to flash the original firmware back.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #23
pepak
Guru

And the same thing for PRS-300:
http://tmp.pepak.net/hack-epubfonts-...ebug_only!.zip

Extracted from russian firmware as well:
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...8lxEcMQeyc861g

Same cautionary note applies: I don't have a PRS-300 so I can't test the hack. It may not work at all, it may brick your reader, anything. Not recommended for anyone who doesn't have a lot of experience with flashing his reader.

Last edited by pepak; 12-24-2009 at 03:16 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #24
pepak
Guru

And for PRS-700:
http://tmp.pepak.net/hack-epubfonts-...ebug_only!.zip

Again made from the russian source:
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...otIIeMYIxT-VBA

The same cautionary note applies.
Old 12-24-2009, 03:19 AM   #25
pepak
Guru

If someone manages to modify their firmware with these hacks, I would appreciate it if they could write a guide on how they did it.

Alternately, someone who speaks russian could perhaps contact user boroda who created the original russian firmwares, asking him to create a non-russian firmware which would be exactly the same as the original firmware, only with my ADE hack included.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #26
sherman
Guru

Well, yesterday I decided to try this out (and combining with the PRSCustomizer hacks including new LRF fonts) and it works perfectly! It will be so nice to be able to change fonts whenever I wish without having to reflash the firmware.

Thanks Heaps pepak
Old 12-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #27
pepak
Guru

You're welcome.

Too bad I can't find anyone with PRS-300/600/700 to try the other hacks :-(
Old 12-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #28
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
You're welcome.

Too bad I can't find anyone with PRS-300/600/700 to try the other hacks :-(
Pepak,

I'm just not that familiar with cramfs. I tried to unpack the image on the Russian flasher so I could insert your altered file using cygwin, but kept getting a missing superblock error. If you want to give me some pointers in that area, I'm willing to give it a shot. I was planning to simply modify the russian image and use their install routine to flash my 600.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 AM   #29
pepak
Guru

Well, that's the problem, really - as I don't have 300/600/700, I can't try it and then provide a proper guide.

I think it should be possible to extract just a flasher from those russian links I provided and then use the "build new image" - "flash image" method of Igorsk's flasher (rather than the "copy image from card" - "flash image" expected by the russian guides).

Updating your original firmware (with cramfs tools) will be difficult because the firmware is encrypted.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #30
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Pepak, I need to test whether this hack was correctly integrated into PRS+. Could you please send me sample epub & userStyle.css? (email to kartu3@gmail.com or any other way) All books I have are LRF.

PS
I've changed path filename, hope you don't mind. In prs+ it looks like:
/database/system/PRSPlus/epub/style.css ("///opt/prps/epub/style.css" in so file, /opt/prsp is a symlink)

Last edited by kartu; 12-30-2009 at 01:57 PM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote