Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
andiskater
andiskater began at the beginning.

Device: none
Release Date of DR1000SW?

Hi!

Has anyone of you an idea when the DR1000SW with WLAN and Bluetooth will be available?

Greets,
Andi
andiskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Tomek
Enthusiast
Tomek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
No... but I'm impatiently waiting
Tomek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I was informed that it would be probably in the new year.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:16 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All that has been said is "during 2009".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
andiskater
andiskater began at the beginning.

Device: none
during 2009? I hoped it would be available before year's end. I need the digital reader mostly to read scientific papers and books, but internet through WLAN would be nice, too.
andiskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 03:43 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Alas, you are going to be disappointed .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 AM   #7
Boreras
Connoisseur
Boreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBoreras can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: TBA
The shop Selexyz (big Dutch bookstore) says the SW "will become available late 2008" (original dutch text: "De modellen 1000 en 1000SW komen later 2008 beschikbaar").
This message has been there for quite a while, but because there's been no official iRex statement, it's to be considered outdated and untrustworthy.
The 9" and up have been nothing but disappointments, except iRex's DR. Wireless & touchscreen 9.7"s and an actual A4 are up for spring '09. But, again, there has been a lot of vapourware before, so don't get excited. Pessimism is justified.
Boreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Laurent
Laurent began at the beginning.

Device: (expecting a) iRex DR1000S
Hi.
I seriously doubt, and I hope, we won't have any DR1000WS too soon: it's only logical for iRex to adress the DR1000 series battery issues before trying to graft any energy-demanding wireless communication interface (whether IEEE 802.11b/g or BT, these wireless protocols pump the juice like hell)
I wish liseuse vendors use less demanding protocols such as ZigBee or low power 802.11). This requires some thinking. Let iRex publish their 1.02 and 1.5 DR1000 firmware versions that should allegedly fix battery/stand-by/hibernate mode issues, then let's think about getting wireless...
My two cents. Laurent
Laurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
DannyR
DannyR began at the beginning.

Device: buying iRex DR1000S
Anybody know what wireless features the new version would have?

Is the wireless/bluetooth going to be limited just to transferring books to the device, or would it actually allow web browsing as if on a real computer?

Since the base OS is linux, anybody have any experience with how hard it would be to port a modern web browser on such a device?
DannyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From the FAQ:
Quote:
Q: In what facility has Bluetooth been implemented?
A: The main function is to setup a data connection to a 3G enabled mobile phone (dial-up) in order to connect to the internet. Other functions can be added depending customer requests.

Q: Will there be a web browser on the device and if so which one and will it support Java?
A: Yes, the iRex Digital Reader 1000 SW will have a limited browser (web-kit based). It will support text and images, non-supported formats (e.g. flash) will be replaced by content that can be displayed (static images) or ignored. It supports java scripting, radio buttons, checkboxes, input fields, buttons and downloading files.
Based on the effort involved in porting FBReader, probably any lightweight GTK+ based web browser could be ported to the DR.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Latest over on the iRex forums, from Karel, is "not before Q2 2009."
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #12
majaka
majaka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
In my mind iRex have plastered themselves as over promising and under-delivering and judging from my wonderful experiences trying to enable even basic WiFi on the original iLiad, I'm not sure that it's even something worth waiting for...

A bit cynical, yes, but more likely closer to the truth.
majaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
So anyone who orders a DR100SW now may (according to the track record of the company) have their credit card debited with the full amount and will have to wait upto six months to get the device? If so, I'm not ordering until they have been available for quite a while which means Q3 2009 at the earliest?
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I didn't think you could even order one yet.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:40 PM   #15
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Perhaps not, but I recall a number of people have ordered other devices and then been immediately charged on their credit card and have to wait weeks for it to be delivered. If that's truly the case, then ordering and paying for something that does not exist is hardly surprising. :-D
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote