Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #46
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Ok...it's a lot of hyperbole to suggest app-books will overtake ebooks. However, I do think we've just begun to see what tablets are bringing to the table. I, for one, love my Cooking apps (Jamie Oliver, Mario Batelli, Gordon Ramsey all have good ones) that combine video, step by step recipes with pictures, recipe management and shopping lists. Even apps like Big Oven which don't have videos offer far more than a traditional cook book can.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #47
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I think of when DVDs were introduced and of the many that came with Director's Commentary and lots of extras, and for the most part, people just didn't care, and they especially didn't want to pay extra for the extras.

I see more "bare bones" DVDs these days with minimal extras (if any).

I really don't see "enhanced" ebooks as making any kind of dent in the regular ebook market. It just seems like a hopeful, maybe desperate ploy to keep prices high.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 PM   #48
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
You can always count on MR for knee jerk reactions. Just because a book CAN have interactive elements doesn't mean every book HAS to have it.
So how else would you interpret the word "steamroll"? Or the phrase "transform the experience of reading"?

If we say that the DVD steamrolled the VHS tape, the meaning is pretty obvious. So when Glassman says the "app-book" (from context, something resembling the 90's multimedia) will steamroll the conventional book, why should we assume he means something else?

Sorry, but Glassman is being foolish. He's going from "oooh, shiny!" to "everyone will want everything to be shiny!" No, they won't. Wallace & Gromit is a joke. We don't live in a Jetsons world. And while the multimedia book has its uses, as have been noted in depth in this thread -- from coffee-table ebooks to things like my dreamed-of car innards app -- they're going to be both specialized and limited.

Interactive "books" for children? Nothing new. We sold one of those in Radio Shack in the early 90's. About 1991 or so. It was a computer program based around a kid's room with all sorts of things to discover. The kids weren't all that interested; the adults kept playing with the thing. Dorling-Kindersley has been selling things like their History disc for at least 10 years. Glassman is all psyched about something that's far from new; he simply doesn't realize that. But I can't see a sleepy kid getting ready for bed saying "let me play with my video book" ... it's still going to be "read me a story" (especially if we want to raise kids who don't think the movie is better because it's less mental effort).

To Glassman, new = compelling and video books = new. He's wrong on both counts. People have already been exposed to the things to "transform the experience of reading" and the response has been a resounding "meh." They will certainly find their niche, but it's highly doubtful they'll be steamrolling anything.

Speaking of world-changing technology, I saw a guy on a Segway yesterday -- first time I've seen one outside a 25-mile radius from where they were invented.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #49
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I can imagine great uses for this in non-fiction books, but it seems gimmicky for fiction.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM   #50
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Really, you don't think we're going to be stuck with mobi forever do you? ....
No, because epub is the default standard.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #51
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
When I read a book, I want to read a book. I don't want an "experience." I just want to read.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #52
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Agree w/ Andrew H. (and anyone else) seeing the ``App books'' as the 21st century version of luxury ``coffee table'' editions.

In addition to the nifty ``Elements.app'' for the iPad, an older exemplar would be Corbis's fabulous _Leonardo_ CD-ROM which was a multi-media presentation of the Codex Leicester brought out by Corbis.

An interesting examples of a book which might be worth revisiting as such would be Ursula K. LeGuin's _Always Coming Home_ which had a bundled audio cassette of music. Similarly one could see Mercedes Lackey adding in filk music at appropriate points in her Valdemar stories.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #53
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Do any of you get National Geographic via the Zinio app? Up til now, it was "enhanced" to the point of being almost too annoying to read. Every article had the first paragraph, then you tapped a link to open a popup in order to read the rest of the article. Slideshows or videos (or both) embedded in each article. Lots of interactive features. It was beautiful to look at, but sucked to try to just read the magazine. I feel certain that all of those extras costed Nat Geo a fortune to include in a digital edition that sells for half of the printed subscription price.

About a month ago, they sent out a very long survey about the interactiveness.

This month's issue was delayed by half a month. When it finally came a couple of days ago, it is completely different. No more popups just to read the articles, because now it has a scroll feature. Fewer videos and things.

Previously, it took anywhere from 1 to 3 hours to download. This most recent issue took about 5 minutes.

SO I SEE THIS DE-EVOLUTION to be the fate of any app book. Buyers will either choose to go for a book loaded with all sort of fancy tricks, or else the cost of making the extras will limit it to something like maybe video covers or whatever.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #54
BrentKnowles
Author
BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrentKnowles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Probably not

I doubt I'll ever buy an app-book. I just want to read.

As for creating app-books, it won't be cheap or easy and so will limit who can actually create them. I don't see it catching on in a big way.
BrentKnowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #55
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Do any of you get National Geographic via the Zinio app? Up til now, it was "enhanced" to the point of being almost too annoying to read. ...
No but I installed the (new) CNN app on my Xoom and it's a lot like that. Almost unusable. I really don't care for it much. Some people seem to love it though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #56
CarolC
CarolC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
My husband likes to read books on his iPhone but finds that the battery wears down very quickly. For me, I prefer my ereader (currently Nook Color). I find that I can read them on my reader and on my iphone. Also, I can get library books, many of them current bestsellers.
CarolC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #57
megthered1
megthered1 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I don't have any Apple products because I don't like the company, so what is an app?
megthered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:46 PM   #58
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
App = application and isn't only an Apple thing, there are Android and other OS apps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by megthered1 View Post
I don't have any Apple products because I don't like the company, so what is an app?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #59
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Do any of you get National Geographic via the Zinio app? Up til now, it was "enhanced" to the point of being almost too annoying to read. Every article had the first paragraph, then you tapped a link to open a popup in order to read the rest of the article. Slideshows or videos (or both) embedded in each article. Lots of interactive features. It was beautiful to look at, but sucked to try to just read the magazine. I feel certain that all of those extras costed Nat Geo a fortune to include in a digital edition that sells for half of the printed subscription price.

About a month ago, they sent out a very long survey about the interactiveness.

This month's issue was delayed by half a month. When it finally came a couple of days ago, it is completely different. No more popups just to read the articles, because now it has a scroll feature. Fewer videos and things.

Previously, it took anywhere from 1 to 3 hours to download. This most recent issue took about 5 minutes.

SO I SEE THIS DE-EVOLUTION to be the fate of any app book. Buyers will either choose to go for a book loaded with all sort of fancy tricks, or else the cost of making the extras will limit it to something like maybe video covers or whatever.
I read it on my PC, I have a good connection, so that the February issue only took about 40 seconds to download. March was about the same. Yes, March has fewer videos and you don't need to jump around as much (to continue to read an article), too. But that is less of an issue on a PC, of course.

Videos and active links can be nice extras for NatGeo. For newspapers I still prefer the "real paper feel" I get from Pressreader.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #60
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Three words: Carl Sagan Cosmos

Sagan's work is close to non existent in ebook form, and really I am not sure if ePub, or mobi would satisfy the need. I would love to see an "enhanced ebook" built for tablets like iPad, or Xoom for these types of books.

But I agree with most here, for most fiction eink reproductions are all that is required, or desired.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
app-books, e-books, shelf awareness