Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Readius news blurb - for those still interested

Ive been interested in this device since I first heard about it.

Here is a blurb about the company that bought it after bankrupcy, basically that there are plans for something to be released this year.

Will see .. fyi .. they dropped the phone aspect it seems .. yea!

Readis - Ahead of its time but never produced

Quote:
However, hope is not lost. A few weeks after the bankruptcy filing, CNET News quoted Polymer Vision's president, Karl McGoldrick, as saying that the company was looking for new investors to take the product to market. And find them he did. 12 million euros later, Polymer Vision was acquired by a Taiwanese company, Wistron, in the fall of 2009. Wistron's chief of product planning, Brian Chong, recently announced that Wistron is developing a device featuring a similar Readius design with a flexible display that will launch in 2010.
First page is recap of what was, 2nd page is what might be coming this year.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I would have been interested in getting one when they announced it, but now I think they should consider updating the design to have a 6" diagonal screen with the 600x800 resolution found in Kindle, Nook, Sony, etc. readers. I'd still like a reader that I could put into a pocket or attach to a belt, but I think the small screen size will limit its appeal in the marketplace.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
About 5 months ago I managed an introduction to Karl McGodrick and we had a good phone conversation about the state of Readius after the purchase by Wistron. We continue to carry on an email conversation.

Of course he has to be guarded about what he says and I have to be a bit guarded about what I repeat. But the basic gist is is that the Readius that you think of and as mentioned in the article is basically a 2 year old device. While the company was dealing with its financial woes the engineers were continually working on the device. They have made many improvements since then as has the electronics world in general.

So with the backing of Wistron and new supply chains developed what we will see later this year will be sort of Readius 2.0
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
well

that seems promising then =)

look forward to seeing more information.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote