Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Fictionwise SF Sale!

March is SF Month at Fictionwise:

They're giving 30% off all multi-format SF and 30% rebate (Paypal/CC) for all secure SF until the end of the month.

(Funnily enough they announced it on a week with no new secure format SF).
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
At first I thought, "that can't be right... Ellison's Deathbird Stories is sitting in my cart, waiting for either a discount or me to have more money to spare for books"... and then I realized that Deathbird Stories has been categorized as "mainstream."

Erm... mythology about deities no human culture has ever directly worshiped is "mainstream?" Ooookay.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
At first I thought, "that can't be right... Ellison's Deathbird Stories is sitting in my cart, waiting for either a discount or me to have more money to spare for books"... and then I realized that Deathbird Stories has been categorized as "mainstream."

Erm... mythology about deities no human culture has ever directly worshiped is "mainstream?" Ooookay.

There are so many mis-catigorized books on FW (some series have 3 or 4 different books under different categories). When it was brought up on their Yahoo group they said they take the genre categories from their distributor.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #4
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
People have been able to get the categories corrected by reporting them to Fictionwise. It might be worth trying so that you can get the discount on that book.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

wow...I have been hunting about a dozen titles so this would sure be a great time to see what is there. THANKS!!
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I did pick up one of the other books in my waiting list (Too Young a King, the third Syran novel, by Ellen Anthony)--purchased, went to my bookshelf, and *poof*

The page you are trying to view is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Gah. It's a couple of hours later, and I can't get Fictionwise to load at all. I wonder if B&N is updating code or something like that.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #7
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
me, too. when i go to fictionwise, i get

Quote:
The page you are trying to view is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
We are sorry for the inconvenience.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

I'd like to suggest you don't purchase anything Ellison wrote.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/03/15/harl...ing-royalties/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Harlan Ellison is a creative genius who is a child. And as a person becomes older, the child becomes less charming.

He's been after money for close to 40 years - for one thing or another. While he's sought money (correctly or incorrectly) for wrongs or supposed wrongs, he's also allowed almost all of his books to be available. Many of them are now becoming available as ebooks.

Since we're offering opinions here, then here is mine: If you enjoy Ellison's work, then buy it, read him, and ignore Ellison's childish rants.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've been a huge fan of Ellison since he went after - and successfully prosecuted - a person who uploaded his books illegally to Usenet some years ago. If more authors were willing to stand up for their rights in this way, the world would be a much better place.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:40 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

Er, yes, Jon? He's is claiming royalties rightfully owed on works clearly derived from his material. Do you have a problem with that?
Old 03-17-2009, 06:49 AM   #12
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I'm not planning on buying the books; I don't care for Ellison's fiction. (I'd jump all over a collection of his non-fiction - that stuff's good.) My focus is simple, if I like the books or writer I buy the authorized edition. I let the lawyers sort the claims out. As long as I've paid my share I don't worry about how the money's divided in the back end.

Not for someone like Harlan Ellison, who's more than capable of taking care of himself.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Er, yes, Jon? He's is claiming royalties rightfully owed on works clearly derived from his material. Do you have a problem with that?

Yes, I do. Unless Mr. Ellison had a special, super-duper contract unheard-of in Hollywood at the time, his scriptwork and all the characters in it, were works-for-hire and there are no residuals owing. This has been standard Hollywood practice since sound came out. He effectively acknowledges this in his forward to his book printing of his I, Robot script.

Yes, individual contracts can be cut, but I doubt even Harlan had the clout in 1966 to get a ground-breaking one made; especially for a marginal TV show (at the time).

This is the world of Hollywood, which has no correlation to anything we think of as "reality".
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm sure you know as well as I do, Ralph, that Mr. Ellison has a reputation for suing people at the drop of a hat. I have no knowledge of whether or not this particular case has any justification, but given that Mr. Ellison is pursuing it, he presumably feels that it has some merit, or he wouldn't be throwing his money away on it .
Old 03-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure you know as well as I do, Ralph, that Mr. Ellison has a reputation for suing people at the drop of a hat. I have no knowledge of whether or not this particular case has any justification, but given that Mr. Ellison is pursuing it, he presumably feels that it has some merit, or he wouldn't be throwing his money away on it .

Or dead gophers....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote