Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Question for iLiad users viewing PDF

Someone I know says that she can read 8x11 sized PDF files just fine on her iLiad and I'm kind of wary of that statement considering I though the screen size was slightly smaller on the iLiad and feedbooks says they use 122 x 150 mm for their PDF creations?

I don't have a iLiad to check myself how a 8x11 sized pdf looks on the device so I was hoping someone could let me know?

I'd appreciate any and all help.

I'm attaching an example file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Demotu_A Matter of Time copy.pdf (1.30 MB, 599 views)
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
abolourian
abolourian began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2 2.12
PDFs with around 2" margin on both sides will look good when you zoom in. But it's too small to read like the one that you sent unless font size is really bigger that normal.

Ali B
abolourian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by abolourian View Post
PDFs with around 2" margin on both sides will look good when you zoom in. But it's too small to read like the one that you sent unless font size is really bigger that normal.

Ali B
I think she may have increased the font size? it's hard to tell on a computer.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
abolourian
abolourian began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2 2.12
Here's a screen capture. It's readable but not optimal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00179.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	603.1 KB
ID:	21485  
abolourian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This isn't readable on the iLiad using the standard portrait mode unless you have very good eyes. I don't use PDFs on the iLiad but there are varients of the standard PDF reader that might work (e.g. landscape for 1/2 the page at a time).

For a "text" PDF your best bet is to convert it to MOBI before transfering it to the iLiad. Windows MobiPocket Reader can import PDFs and produce a MOBI. The transfer isn't perfect (e.g. no TOC and one sentence paragraphs not detected), and if you have a HTML or RTF (e.g. from MW Word) version that will likely transfer better. The attachment is from Windows MobiPocket Reader, but the iLiad MOBI reader would be similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WMR_PDF1.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	21503  
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by abolourian View Post
Here's a screen capture. It's readable but not optimal.
Thanks for the screen capture. You wouldn't by any chance have another recommended setting I can pass along to her? I sent her the feedbook settings but I don't think she used them.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
If text is really small, I find it best to change to landscape mode, zoom until the text reaches the edges of the viewing area, and then switch to continuous scroll mode. iPDF (the software) not only keeps track of your history of page views, but separately your history of zooming. So I can zoom all the way in if text is still too small, do some scrolling, then hit the 'back zoom' button to go back to my previous zoom level.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote