Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Should We Be Able To Resell Our Ebooks? (First Sale Rights)
Yes 93 73.23%
No 34 26.77%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2011, 11:52 PM   #31
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
I don't see anything ethically wrong with selling a "used" ebook, but what would be the point? My used paperbacks never fetched much, and my main motivation in selling them was to clear out space for new ones. With ebooks that's no longer a consideration.

I suppose that if the Agency 5 (now 6) continue to jack up prices, I might become interested in the idea of *buying* used ebooks...but I agree with DiapDealer about the nightmare that would ensue if the process were regulated via DRM.
Well, you could probably get 50% or more of the price you paid for it selling it on eBay, or some other site that sprouted up for the purpose of selling/swapping ebooks. Then, of course, you'd need to be nearly brain dead to not check there before buying any title from the publisher. Which would have the obvious impact on the publishers.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:21 AM   #32
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Kill switch mwahahaha!
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #33
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Well, you could probably get 50% or more of the price you paid for it selling it on eBay, or some other site that sprouted up for the purpose of selling/swapping ebooks. Then, of course, you'd need to be nearly brain dead to not check there before buying any title from the publisher. Which would have the obvious impact on the publishers.
All books would be free. Or close enough. Publishers are going to need a new business model shortly.

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #34
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
We "should" be able to sell them --- but not right now since there is no reliable system set up to ensure that no copies are left behind with the original owner.

Anyway, I see either of two business models coming:

1.)Ad-supported books
2.)Books you can only access on a server while being online -- but not download.

Neither appeals to me at all. There is no free lunch, someone always pays, if not the buyers than the authors, editors, the publishers' staff, book sellers. 100,000s of people would lose their jobs if the US actually did away with copyright. You might also pay by providing your personal information, as you do with Google services.

Last edited by HansTWN; 03-15-2011 at 02:48 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 AM   #35
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
To make a long story short, do you think it's ok for someone, to resell ebooks they've purchased to another, as long as the sale deletes the original copy from the sellers device?
Absolutely. I already have that right, reselling software, in my jurisdiction. It's just that I'd need to de-DRM the book first in order to allow for the file transfer. The courts haven't ruled on that one yet.

Last edited by rogue_librarian; 03-15-2011 at 05:04 AM.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 AM   #36
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
... the response is Nay - no reselling (the idea of a "second-hand" digital object is almost a contradiction in terms).
Really. Why shouldn't I be able to resell my old copy of Windows XP if somebody want's to buy it off me, complete with DVD, handbook and Certificate of Authenticity? Once you agree to that reselling software in general is really just another small step.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Really. Why shouldn't I be able to resell my old copy of Windows XP if somebody want's to buy it off me, complete with DVD, handbook and Certificate of Authenticity? Once you agree to that reselling software in general is really just another small step.
One consideration is the licence agreement. If that says that ownership is not transferrable, you'd be in breach of contract if you were to re-sell it. Non-transferrable software licence agreements are not uncommon. The terms and conditions of most bookstores do say that ownership cannot be transferred, and you have agreed to those terms when you buy the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
If I download the books onto a flash drive after purchase, that's a legitimate, authorized copy. If I then sell the flash drive, I haven't made any unauthorized copies.
Yes, you have - it becomes unauthorised as soon as you sell it; it's no longer YOUR copy but someone else's, and that someone else is not authorised to possess it. It's no different to buying a piece of software, and making a backup copy of it. You haven't broken any laws by doing that, but you DO break the law as soon as you pass that "backup" copy on to somebody else.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:38 AM   #39
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaze View Post
Well, the problem here is that by making so, one breaks copyright laws.
The same would be true for keeping a copy after having sold the ebook, so what's your point?

Quote:
... that selling a digital media is not legal
That's very much open to debate, certainly over here.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:04 AM   #40
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
We "should" be able to sell them --- but not right now since there is no reliable system set up to ensure that no copies are left behind with the original owner.
How is that my problem? I am allowed to resell software, you know.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:07 AM   #41
AlexSno
Connoisseur
AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.AlexSno has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
To own a new e-book is always offering a great feeling. But also not having to pay much on it offers .... an OK feeling )
AlexSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
How is that my problem? I am allowed to resell software, you know.
Not if you've accepted a licence agreement that says otherwise.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:26 AM   #43
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One consideration is the licence agreement. If that says that ownership is not transferrable, you'd be in breach of contract if you were to re-sell it.
Luckily our copyright act makes resale an indispensable right. Spiffy, isn't it?

Quote:
Non-transferrable software licence agreements are not uncommon.
They're also not enforceable (the resale prohibition, that is).

Quote:
The terms and conditions of most bookstores do say that ownership cannot be transferred, and you have agreed to those terms when you buy the book.
No need to go into details here, but these one-click-shrink-wrap licenses are probably not watertight, either. Suffice to say our legal system doesn't like them very much, certainly not if consumers are involved.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #44
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Fair point, although few consider the operating system to be second hand, the PC you sell it on is a different matter. Note however, as HarryT already pointed out, much software is not intended to be transferable in this way - although not many people read their agreements. One curious item with XP, for example, is that if you purchased an "OEM" version (already installed on your machine) then you may be permitted to sell it on with your machine but what you are not permitted to do is install that copy on any new computer that you buy.

Last edited by gmw; 03-15-2011 at 06:33 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
No need to go into details here, but these one-click-shrink-wrap licenses are probably not watertight, either. Suffice to say our legal system doesn't like them very much, certainly not if consumers are involved.
Don't you think that you should consider carefully the terms and conditions of the store BEFORE making the decision to buy from them? It seems to me to be "wrong" to buy from a store and THEN turn round and say "I'm going to ignore the terms of the contract that I willingly and freely entered into with you".