Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Will publishing move to the middle?

I've been reading about new publishing start-ups with a different business model: no advance, bigger royalties, small POD digital print runs, and e-books published at the same time with competitive pricing.

The latter is good news for digital book readers.

Some small companies have been doing this for a while, but now Amazon, literary agents, and others are getting in. I think this is a sustainable, reader-friendly model that could be successful...if it gets the distribution.
What do you think?
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Considering that I won't buy another cartel book, companies like that will get my business. That, and the used book seller, if I ever want a DTB again.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I don't really understand what you mean by if it gets the distribution. The internet would be the distribution channel for the ebooks, and the shop window for the POD books with delivery through the post.

What sort of royalties do you get from those deals?
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some small publishers offer 10 or 12% on print books and 50% on e-books. It's the distribution of print books through brick-and-mortar stores that gets problematic for POD companies. I think it will be less of an issue in the future, but for now many readers still like to walk into a bookstore to find or order titles.
L.J.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LJ, I don't think bookstores will be around long enough for a new model to emerge--I think there's less than a 5-year window to have a viable distribution below the bestsellers (who I suspect will thrive in paper for probably a decade or two longer). Here's some illuminating articles, and I am not sure the "middle" will exist anymore. Though we are doing something similar to what you propose through Haunted Computer Books, small publishers may not offer enough to make up for the cut they will be taking.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...ublishing.html

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...g-options.html

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nicholson View Post
LJ, I don't think bookstores will be around long enough for a new model to emerge--I think there's less than a 5-year window to have a viable distribution below the bestsellers (who I suspect will thrive in paper for probably a decade or two longer). Here's some illuminating articles, and I am not sure the "middle" will exist anymore. Though we are doing something similar to what you propose through Haunted Computer Books, small publishers may not offer enough to make up for the cut they will be taking.
Scott

I agree. I think all the bookstores will soon be online, with a single aisle at Walmart/Target. Electronic books will increase to repleace traditional books quicker than anyone today believes.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I think b&m stores will be around for a while yet - at least another 20 years. E-readers are too expensive for the casual reader and most multi use devices aren't ideal as readers. I think the model you described is the future of publishing, but it's going to take a while before it's mainstream.

LJ - are your books available as ebooks? I did a quick search and could only find dtb.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
There was an article in our local paper about a guy who was opening a new bookstore and reserving the top floor of the store for meeting space, which he planned to rent out to local literary groups. I think this type of store (i.e. 'books plus something else vaguely book-related') will be the model of the future. For example:

- Books plus coffee shop
- Books plus used books
- Books plus meeting space for rent
- Books plus something kid-related (make your own book?)
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Years ago, I self-published my novel with a company and had an account with them. When a POD book was ordered, money went that day into my account. I drew from it as desired.

This was about a decade ago. I'm still waiting for a "real" publisher to offer a deal like this!

I've been through a "real" publisher now and am not planning to repeat that process. I have the rights back and I'm dealing with a micropublisher who is ebook and POD only. Sure, I'd love to have my book back on the shelves in bookstores, but not enough to return to the old business model with a publisher.

The big guys are now fighting the same losing war that the music publishers fought, trying to shore up the high profit margin on CD's...I mean, hardcover books...when they should be figuring out how to sell electronically, profit and thrive. Meanwhile, I'll be happy to see them price their ebooks at $12-15 since mine will, by contract, sell for less than $5, which gives me an edge.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I think b&m stores will be around for a while yet - at least another 20 years. E-readers are too expensive for the casual reader and most multi use devices aren't ideal as readers. I think the model you described is the future of publishing, but it's going to take a while before it's mainstream.
I disagree that dedicated readers are too expensive for casual readers, and that multi-use devices aren't ideal as readers. As a user of a multi-use device (a smartphone), I can attest to the fact that they are easy to use and very readable. Anyone who doesn't want to pay $200 for a dedicated reader (and some will soon cost less than that) can easily use a multi-function device instead.

I can see bookstores not disappearing, but morphing into a different kind of store that allows visitors to peruse digital or special paper versions of the books, then conveniently download them to their reader of choice or print them in-house. Since they won't carry as many physical books, they will likely shrink in size, to fit into any medium-sized storefront. This will likely happen over less than a decade's time.

Hopefully these stores will be impartial to source, as opposed to selling only Big Pub labels... that will depend on licensing agreements and leverage, and influenced by successful indie novels (so, hopefully, there will be a lot of those!).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
Some small publishers offer 10 or 12% on print books and 50% on e-books. It's the distribution of print books through brick-and-mortar stores that gets problematic for POD companies. I think it will be less of an issue in the future, but for now many readers still like to walk into a bookstore to find or order titles.
L.J.
What does the publisher do for the 50% that they charge you?

It might be different in America, but most of our independent book shops are already long gone. Most books here are sold in supermarkets, where you only tend to get best sellers and "celebrity" tie ins. I doubt anyone will get POD books in places like that.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
I can see bookstores not disappearing, but morphing into a different kind of store that allows visitors to peruse digital or special paper versions of the books, then conveniently download them to their reader of choice or print them in-house. Since they won't carry as many physical books, they will likely shrink in size, to fit into any medium-sized storefront. This will likely happen over less than a decade's time.
I've seen coin operated kiosk machines here where you can choose a music CD or film DVd and have it burnt onto a disk for you, I'm sure they could easily include books if there was any demand for them. Better would be something that prints out and binds a book for you on order. I don't think a book shop would be the best position for it though. The real money would be in casual readers.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
L.J. Sellers
Novelist

Rich, my e-books are on Kindle, B&N.com, Fictionwise and others ($2.99). Thanks for asking.
L.J.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I've seen coin operated kiosk machines here where you can choose a music CD or film DVd and have it burnt onto a disk for you, I'm sure they could easily include books if there was any demand for them. Better would be something that prints out and binds a book for you on order. I don't think a book shop would be the best position for it though. The real money would be in casual readers.
I read about this about a year ago. I don't know how successful it's been:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009...chine-launches
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #15
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
I agree. I think all the bookstores will soon be online, with a single aisle at Walmart/Target. Electronic books will increase to repleace traditional books quicker than anyone today believes.
I agree, but i think it may be more in about the 5 year period
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote