Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I like: Soul Identity - Dennis Batchelder

This thread informed me of a free eBook, and I had to check it out. Free, right?
Then I read the blurb on smashwords
Quote:
What if you could bank your money for your next life? Smart-aleck and computer security expert Scott Waverly is skeptical of his new client's claim that they've been tracking souls for almost twenty-six hundred years. Is it a freaky cult, or a sophisticated con job? As Scott saves Soul Identity from an insider attack, he discovers the importance of the bridges connecting people's lives
Sounds good, gotta have it.

So now I'm through with it, and I have mixed feelings.
On the one hand, it was an incredibly fun book to read. Excellent style, funny and witty characters, and a great story. I like the way Dennis made his protagonist a geeky smart-ass, without making him tedious or annoying. Leads to a lot of smirks and smiles throughout the book. I also like the idea of the soul identity, I wonder if this is in any way true. Adds a nice touch of religion, makes you yearn to know the absolute truth.
I was glad to see that once the book ended I could just go right on and read an excerpt of the sequel, Soul Intent, and as a matter of fact, I will buy it after I finish this review.

There is one bit that I found rather weird without being able to put my finger on it: the whole episode with India, or better,
Spoiler:
the buddhist monk who is a good enough programmer to get hired but has to program bad code because he's being blackmailed due to some orgies or whatever he and his fellow monks were part of.
It gave me a "now this is silly" feeling At the same time it was a nice look into the customs of India - at least I have to assume it is authentic, since I have never been there.
By the way, how do indians "wobble" their heads "back and forth"? I'm having difficulties seeing it in my mind's eye.

Anyhow, I totally recommend this book to anyone who's interested in thrillers. Great book, Mr. Batchelder, please keep them coming!

I rate this book (5/5 thumbs up)
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Thanks... I've downloaded this book and put it on my very long to read list...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
kainne
Connoisseur
kainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskainne can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: PRS-700
Great another book to read. My list is getting to long.
kainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Thanks for reminding me about this book I downloaded it and the follow-up a couple months ago but left them on my TBR list. I started Soul Identity last night and am enjoying it so far.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
denbatch
Enthusiast
denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.denbatch can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
At the same time it was a nice look into the customs of India - at least I have to assume it is authentic, since I have never been there.
By the way, how do indians "wobble" their heads "back and forth"? I'm having difficulties seeing it in my mind's eye.
mores: thanks for the post, and i'm happy you enjoyed soul identity!

here's some answers:

1) yes, most of the indian customs are authentic (i've been there many times, and i even lived there for 19 months back in 2005-2007). of course the monks' custom is made up. and i shamelessly took features from another gompa in ladakh (the really big buddha statue) and added it to the lamaruyu gompa.

2) head wobbling: imagine that instead of nodding up and down, you tilt your head left, right, left, right... now do it as fast as you nod. does that help your mind's eye?

dennis
denbatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert