Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
Forkbeard
Forkbeard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Is there any software for managing "screensaver" images?

Hi, I'm aware of the "screensaver hack" for changing the images displayed on sleeping Kindles, and it's something I could manage once or twice, but it's a somewhat painful process. I'm wondering whether anybody has made software that handles the back end?

Basically I'm imagining something that works sort of like Calibre, only for the images. Plug in your Kindle, fire up the software, import images to a small library on your computer, and some upload / download functionality for moving the images between your computer and your Kindle. Then reboot your Kindle when the software tells you, and voila!

I've done a fair bit of searching but haven't found references to any such thing. Does it exist yet?

Thanks!
Forkbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 AM   #2
DairyKnight
Connoisseur
DairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with othersDairyKnight plays well with others

Device: PRS-505
Such a tool should be easy to develop. First in the firmware update script you put in
'mount --bind /mnt/us/pics/ /opt/amazon/screensaver'(whatever...)

And then it's just a simple picture management tool to deal with amazon drive's pics directory.
DairyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
This sounds like someting I might be able to build. It will require a fair ammount of pixel flipping to set the image to the right size, resolution, and depth...

interesting...
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote