Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: July 2009 Book Club Vote
My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse 31 36.90%
Topper by Thorne Smith 11 13.10%
Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of The Dog) by Jerome K Jerome 37 44.05%
Augustus Carp, Esq. - Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man by Henry Bashford 3 3.57%
The Silence of Colonel Bramble by by André Maurois 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #46
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
... unless you type it wrong ...

It took me a few seconds to figure that one out ...
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 AM   #47
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Well I'll read the Three Men in a Boat book if it wins -- at least I'm pretty sure that one does have a dog in the book (I like dogs). Actually, I'll probably read the top three books as they all sound good.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #48
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Well I'll read the Three Men in a Boat book if it wins -- at least I'm pretty sure that one does have a dog in the book (I like dogs). Actually, I'll probably read the top three books as they all sound good.
despite the subtitle ("to say nothing of the dog") there is actually quite a bit said about the dog.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #49
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
I can't seem to find the "Bramble" in e-book format (no Gutenberg, no Gallica)...
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:48 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
I can't seem to find the "Bramble" in e-book format (no Gutenberg, no Gallica)...
http://manybooks.net/titles/mauroisa...l_bramble.html

There you go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yeah, well, you go read both books, and then let me know what you think.
If the boat wins, I will read it and I do plan on reading Topper even if it doesn't win. So I'll be able to comment.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the boat wins, I will read it and I do plan on reading Topper even if it doesn't win. So I'll be able to comment.
We have had "unofficial" book club discussion threads before. It happened with The Time Machine when it didn't win.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #53
roger the rabbit
Addict
roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'roger the rabbit knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T3, 650 Black, 505, Kobo Glo HD Aura ONE
I will read the top three of these, have not read any of them
roger the rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #54
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger the rabbit View Post
I will read the top three of these, have not read any of them
I'm going to be hard-pressed to read the winner this month. Not that I don't want to read every one of the books, but I have 22 books (paper books no less) that I need to read and get into the mail to people in my book swapping group. I spent too much time in June reading electronic books "just because I want to".
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #55
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I'm going to be hard-pressed to read the winner this month. Not that I don't want to read every one of the books, but I have 22 books (paper books no less) that I need to read and get into the mail to people in my book swapping group. I spent too much time in June reading electronic books "just because I want to".
What are these "Paper-baked books" you speak of?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #56
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
My vote My Man Jeeves, I loved the (UK) TV series

Though the rest will go on my list
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #57
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thanks a lot...
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #58
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
I still new here and I was thinking of joining in the book club this month....and then I saw it on the front page...so that made it even more tempting.
My Sony 505 just arrived yesterday & I just downloaded the top 3 books that are being voted on this month, so I am all ready now.

I decided to make my vote before reading the thread....so using the descriptions in the first post, I voted for Topper. However, it seems that Three Men in a Boat is coming highly recommended, so after reading the posts in this thread, I would like to read that now.

Is there a book on how to read faster? Then I could read all 3.
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One way to read faster is to stay away from MR.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #60
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
Quote:
One way to read faster is to stay away from MR.
lol....yes, I have been using up reading time in here, but I can't help it.
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote