Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Romance Classics

Hi Everyone,

I really want to take advantage of all the free books on this site and I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations for any Romance classics. I mostly read contemporary Romance, so I don't know too many classic titles. Oh, I have a Sony prs-505, so they would need to be compatible with that. And it's fine if they are PDF.

in advance!
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Consider some of the following (all by Georgette Heyer):
The Grand Sophy, The Nonesuch, The Quiet Gentlemen, The Tollgate, The Convenient Marriage, The Unknown Ajax.

All regencies. All impeccably well-researched in terms of the depiction of society, the language and manners, the history that shows up in the background, etc. They also tend to be quite amusing.

Xenophon

Edit: I have no idea if any are legitimately available in bits. The copies my wife and I own are all in dead-tree-format.
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Thanks!! I will definitely check these out.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #4
ReD
Enthusiast
ReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-700, PRS-300, PRS-T1, Kobo Arc
If you haven't already read any of Jane Austen's works, you should check "Pride and Prejudice" (my all-time favourite!) and "Sense and Sensibility." Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" has a more gothic flavour to it but it's definitely worth a read. Another one I like is "The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery, a Canadian classic. All of these are available on mobileread.
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
You should be totally posting this in our Romance Readers group here on MR. Gimme a sec to get the link...

Here we go:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/group.php?groupid=10

Georgette Heyer is a good one (although I'll admit, I haven't read any yet). I also uploaded a quick read called, "Wanted: A Chaperon." It's a fun little book. Plus it's free here on MR

OK and now I need you to recommend me some contemporaries

Last edited by lilac_jive; 04-09-2009 at 08:06 PM.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #6
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD View Post
If you haven't already read any of Jane Austen's works, you should check "Pride and Prejudice" (my all-time favourite!) and "Sense and Sensibility." Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" has a more gothic flavour to it but it's definitely worth a read. Another one I like is "The Blue Castle" by L.M. Montgomery, a Canadian classic. All of these are available on mobileread.
Very good selection ReD. I would also add Emma to your list. It's a brilliant read also.

Slan,
Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Thanks Everyone!!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I love Heyer's books too, but unfortunately they're not in the public domain, except for The Black Moth: http://manybooks.net/authors/heyerg.html
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote