Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
Unhappy Downgrade from 5.14.1?

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, 10th Gen. I don't know what firmware I had before, but today I updated and it went to 5.14.1, with the new UI.

Someone please, please, PLEASE tell me there's a way to downgrade/rollback this horrible update? I've spent hours looking through threads here and on Reddit, but I haven't found anything. Probably doesn't help that I'm not very tech-savvy and can't follow anything I've read about jailbreaking...
Siavahda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Unfortunately there is no way to downgrade.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
Siavahda
Connoisseur
Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.Siavahda can eat soup with a fork.

No way to downgrade it EVER, or not right now? I found a lot of links about jailbreaking/downgrading earlier versions of the firmware, so will it eventually be true for this version as well, do you think?
Old 10-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siavahda View Post
No way to downgrade it EVER, or not right now? I found a lot of links about jailbreaking/downgrading earlier versions of the firmware, so will it eventually be true for this version as well, do you think?
Ever.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:36 PM   #5
Siavahda
Connoisseur

So the only solution is to get my hands on a Kindle that hasn't had this update, basically?
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 01:38 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No. It might work if your Kindle was jailbroken before the update. If it was not, downgrading won't be possible. Ever.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So the only solution is to get my hands on a Kindle that hasn't had this update, basically?
Yes, and to keep it in the airplane mode. Which also means not registering it.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #8
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
As a general principle, I choose not to upgrade firmware on any of my electronics unless: (1) The new firmware fixes some bug that affects me, or (2) The new firmware adds some new feature that I want. Both of these reasons to upgrade are predicated on: (3) The new firmware does not break or change something that I like or depend on.

There is no reason to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading in my opinion. My Kindle PW3 is running 5.9.4 - I don't know how old that firmware is, and don't care. It is stable and I have found no reason to change from it.

This doesn't help you in your current situation, but once you've fixed what's wrong or come to accept that you will just have to live with it, then you might want to consider only upgrading in the future if there is a demonstrable need to do so. At this point in the Kindle life cycle (mature product), updates are usually just "tweaks" and not "major changes". On top of that, about half the users like the tweak and half the users hate the tweak. So it's probably best to at least wait on completing an update until user reports have come in listing the pluses and minuses of it, so you can make an informed decision on whether you want it or not.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:08 PM   #9
Siavahda
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
As a general principle, I choose not to upgrade firmware on any of my electronics unless: (1) The new firmware fixes some bug that affects me, or (2) The new firmware adds some new feature that I want. Both of these reasons to upgrade are predicated on: (3) The new firmware does not break or change something that I like or depend on.

There is no reason to upgrade just for the sake of upgrading in my opinion. My Kindle PW3 is running 5.9.4 - I don't know how old that firmware is, and don't care. It is stable and I have found no reason to change from it.

This doesn't help you in your current situation, but once you've fixed what's wrong or come to accept that you will just have to live with it, then you might want to consider only upgrading in the future if there is a demonstrable need to do so. At this point in the Kindle life cycle (mature product), updates are usually just "tweaks" and not "major changes". On top of that, about half the users like the tweak and half the users hate the tweak. So it's probably best to at least wait on completing an update until user reports have come in listing the pluses and minuses of it, so you can make an informed decision on whether you want it or not.
I usually don't upgrade either, I only did it today in order to fix the issue of sideloaded ebooks' covers not appearing. Now I wish I'd stuck with that.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:09 PM   #10
Siavahda
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, and to keep it in the airplane mode. Which also means not registering it.
I think I could survive without having it registered, since I always sideload books onto mine anyway.

Thank you. Going to try and hunt down an older Kindle now!
Old 10-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I think I could survive without having it registered, since I always sideload books onto mine anyway.

Thank you. Going to try and hunt down an older Kindle now!

If you don’t have it registered you can’t set up any collections.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 02:28 PM   #12
Siavahda
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
If you don’t have it registered you can’t set up any collections.
I am VERY open to other suggestions, but I don't see any other options. I need a device with the old UI. That seems to mean getting one that has Airplane Mode on forever. If you can think of another way I'd love to hear it, because I would dearly like to keep my collections, but. Insert helpless shrug here.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am VERY open to other suggestions, but I don't see any other options. I need a device with the old UI. That seems to mean getting one that has Airplane Mode on forever. If you can think of another way I'd love to hear it, because I would dearly like to keep my collections, but. Insert helpless shrug here.
Get a Kobo. You can manage collections automatically with Calibre. Also you can downgrade if you happen not to like an update.

I'm suggesting this because you said you sideload everything anyway.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
If you get one with a version that can be jailbroken, do that, then take steps to prevent update, then quickly register, then turn airplane mode on. Alternitively, after jailbreak you can fake register.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #15
Drybonz
Connoisseur
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
What was the issue with the new firmware?
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote