Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #1
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Cybook Orizon, PocketBook Touch HD
Question newly appeared overdrive connection error

As of the last days, it seems that I'm no more able to connect to overdrive with my PB631. I've tried returning a book which I lent some ten days ago, and as well to open the .acsm files of two other titles which I borrowed from two different overdrive-powered libraries. In all cases all I get is a PB popup X dialog spelling:
Quote:
Download was aborted (E_STREAM_ERROR: CURL returned 60 (3C)).
Has anyone encountered this as well? A quick net search tells me that this is a SSL certificate error. Here I even found a proposed solution for XAMMP, I don't know whether I should pursue something along the lines with the PB (how come now), and what would be the certificate file whereabouts on the filesystem.

In true honesty so far I only tried connecting from my home access point, but I wouldn't think that has a part in the problem.

Last edited by EastEriq; 10-11-2021 at 05:14 AM.
EastEriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:07 PM   #2
EastEriq
Groupie
EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!EastEriq rocks like Gibraltar!

addendum: tried deleting and readding the Adobe DRM profile on the reader, at no avail.

However, perhaps Lets Encrypt is the reason?
Advert
Old 10-07-2021, 04:21 PM   #3
EastEriq
Groupie

https://www.hooksettlibrary.org/libr...-older-devices
Old 10-11-2021, 03:29 AM   #4
EastEriq
Groupie

A fast reply this time:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting our Pocketbook Customer Support. ​

Yes, we can confirm it. The E_STREAM_ERROR: CURL returned 60 (3C) error means that the period of validity of the certificates has expired.
It is due to the fact that validation of the certificate chain issued by LetsEncrypt (provider of certificates for Overdrive books) is not working at the moment.
A software update is going to be released soon or the owner of your source Overdrive will replace invalid certificates with new ones.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
Customer Support Team
I'm a little worried about their vague "is going to be released soon or the owner of your source Overdrive will replace", but however.

Out of curiosity, noone affected but me? I was a little surprised to find no similar complaints here across MR, other device brands as well.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:57 AM   #5
granola
granola began at the beginning.

Device: Touch HD 3
Hi,
I can confirm I'm getting the same error on a Pocketbook Touch HD 3 I spotted your post last night when I was googling to find out about the problem - I don't borrow library books all the time, so had only just discovered it! Maybe the bulk of Pocketbook users don't need to use Overdrive for their country's library system? (I'm in the UK and do.)

Thanks so much for reporting the issue! Fingers crossed Pocketbook bring out a fix
granola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2021, 05:00 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastEriq View Post
Out of curiosity, noone affected but me? I was a little surprised to find no similar complaints here across MR, other device brands as well.
I hadn't borrowed a book from Overdrive in a while. I tried borrowing one from the local library on the PocketBook after reading this thread and got the same error as you did on my Touch HD3 (PB632). Than I tried it with Tolino (which I just recently updated) and it still works. There's an upgrade I've been avoiding for the HD3 that I'll try and report back (I would have upgraded already tonight, but was told I needed a full battery. Maybe I can do it hooked up to power?)

EDIT: The update didn't help with the Overdrive error, but that's to be expected since the error is recent and the update was a month or two back. It looks like Send-to-PocketBook has quit working for Overdrive (at least). It just sits there at 0%. ... Ended up getting the same error as when dowloading it with the browser. Hope they get this fixed soon. This is main reason I chose a PocketBook reader

Last edited by rcentros; 10-11-2021 at 06:01 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 05:12 AM   #7
EastEriq
Groupie

IIUC, things boil down to older devices/firmware releases using openssl-1.0.x instead of openssl-1.1, whereas the former hiccups on the new authentication chain of Let's Encrypt, because of whatever quirk. I would therefore not be surprised if all devices constrained to firmwares 5.x (like my Touch HD) suffered from it, whereas 6.x moved on to the newer openssl.

May I suggest that others nudge the pocketbook support too, to gain momentum?
Old 10-11-2021, 05:39 AM   #8
granola
granola began at the beginning.

Device: Touch HD 3
Quote:
May I suggest that others nudge the pocketbook support too, to gain momentum?
Done!
For info for rcentros, my Pocketbook claims I have the latest update, which is
Software version: U632.6.4.466
Release date: 20210802_173938
Localization: WW
granola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 06:04 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola View Post
Done!
For info for rcentros, my Pocketbook claims I have the latest update, which is
Software version: U632.6.4.466
Release date: 20210802_173938
Localization: WW
Same software I just updated to. I'm also using a PB632. I'll write support.

Sent.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-11-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
...I would therefore not be surprised if all devices constrained to firmwares 5.x (like my Touch HD) suffered from it, whereas 6.x moved on to the newer openssl....
Same issue with 6.x.

EDIT 2: I was just able to download (Send to Pocketbook) a book via "Send to PocketBook" from ebooks.com, so ignore what I wrote about this being an Adobe issue.

Last edited by rcentros; 10-11-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Received basically the same email as EastEriq...

Quote:
Thank you for choosing PocketBook.

The E_STREAM_ERROR: CURL returned 60 (3C) error means that the period of validity of the certificates has expired.

It is due to the fact that validation of the certificate chain issued by LetsEncrypt (provider of certificates for Overdrive books) is not working at the moment.

A software update is going to be released soon or the owner of your source Overdrive will replace invalid certificates with new ones.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your understanding.
If it's an issue with LetsEncrypt and Overdrive, why does my Tolino still work for direct downloads via its browser? Anyhow, I'll be patient and hopefully this will be fixed soon. The new Calibre plugin DeASCM now makes it possible to open books without Adobe's ADE in Linux, so at least I have a "backup" for my PocketBook available now.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:12 AM   #12
winstons_ulcer
winstons_ulcer began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Hello people.
I found some information on the error in this forum and after I contacted the support I got some more information and wanted to share it here. This is the answer I got from support after asking what the "or" means.

Quote:
PocketBook devices (like a lot of other devices worldwide) cannot interact with the above-mentioned domain because of two main reasons:
1) devices do not have root certificate 'ISRG Root X1' inside of the firmware;
2) devices do not support validation with multiple chains.
We are about to fix both problems in the nearest future with the new version of the firmware release, in order to avoid such problems.
So I guess we are doomed to wait.. Are you in general happy with your Pocketbook readers, does stuff like this happen often? I just bought it and could still send it back. Not the very nicest experience right in the beginning.
winstons_ulcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 02:52 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstons_ulcer View Post
...So I guess we are doomed to wait.. Are you in general happy with your Pocketbook readers, does stuff like this happen often? I just bought it and could still send it back. Not the very nicest experience right in the beginning.
I like my PocketBooks (I also have an older one) quite a bit. But one of the main reasons I bought them was because I use Linux and I wanted to use them to directly download eBooks I bought (from Kobo or eBooks.com or wherever) or borrow them from the library via Overdrive. So, hopefully, they get this fixed fairly quickly, it's a big part of why I bought a PocketBook. (Not the only reason I like PocketBooks, I also like the way the they render fonts, allow you to use the whole screen and that they have good quality screens and page turn buttons.)
Old 10-14-2021, 01:14 AM   #14
eMole
Zealot
eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eMole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch HD, PocketBook Era
I wonder if they release a firmware update for older devices, like the PB631 ones (Touch HD, Touch HD2). They are stuck at firmware 5.x, they never received the current 6.x firmware.
eMole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 02:09 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMole View Post
I wonder if they release a firmware update for older devices, like the PB631 ones (Touch HD, Touch HD2). They are stuck at firmware 5.x, they never received the current 6.x firmware.
I hope they do. It shouldn't take much (I say with zero programming experience).