Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #1
bobcat4
bobcat4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
downgrade from 5.8.11

First when I've tried to downgrade from 5.8.11 to 5.7.4 It was successful. Later, I've upgraded to 5.8.11 and I thought jb has been disappeared because I could not access usb net anymore so I've tried to downgrade to 5.7.4 again, but I cannot. The update file immediately disappear after usb disconnected.

170701:000427 OTAController[3330]: I UserstoreScannerImpl:scanFile:filname=update_PW3_5 .7.4_initial.bin:Parsing update file
170701:000427 OTAController[3330]: E BundleValidator:validateBundle:FB02 bundle applied on FB03 bundle:
170701:000427 OTAController[3330]: I UserstoreScannerImpl:scanFile:Bundle validation failed:

Any idea what happened and why was the first downgrade successfull?
bobcat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jail Break
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877 (open the spoiler).

We can no longer consider the "firmware version" number to indicate what is considered in the outside world (outside of Lab126) as describing changes in the software source.

The number is now being used by Amazon/Lab126 to indicate "feature set" rather than "source code change set".

In other Device/"Feature Set Number" combinations, coplate has identified a difference between "software as delivered in the box" with "same software after being used".
But no specific general pattern as been identified.

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2018 at 06:43 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
bobcat4

you guys mentioned the etc/bundle_type.txt file somewhere. can it be the reason of why it doesn't want reinstall the 5.7.4 initial fw again?
Old 02-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
bobcat4

I'm little bit confused what happened. The /usr/local has been removed while the update so I think the whole rootfs has been reinstalled from the update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.11.bin.

The thing that I don't understand how the logThis.sh has survived the update?
It is still the patched version so I can run the RUNME.sh...
Old 02-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat4 View Post
I'm little bit confused what happened. The /usr/local has been removed while the update so I think the whole rootfs has been reinstalled from the update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_5.8.11.bin.

The thing that I don't understand how the logThis.sh has survived the update?
It is still the patched version so I can run the RUNME.sh...
The /usr/local????
Do you mean: /var/local (a.k.a: partition #3 of 4).

The auto-reinstall code lives on /var/local (user persistent data).
If an Amazon update disturbed the usr's data (which is the usr's property) and you are located in the USA, then Amazon has just committed a felony.
Notify Homeland Security, I am pretty sure that is the agency that handles cyber crimes.
Advert
Old 02-07-2018, 07:07 AM   #6
bobcat4

I mean 5.7.4 has lot of files under /usr/local like usbnetworking stuff and that is not exist in 5.8.11.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I mean 5.7.4 has lot of files under /usr/local like usbnetworking stuff and that is not exist in 5.8.11.
ONE MORE TIME! ...
It is NOT the version number which is significant!!!

The significant difference is that between a "for factory, production line, testing ONLY firmware image and that which is (normally) released to the customer.
(It even says that several places in the file by none other than the author Amazon/Lab126)

You are trying to compare bananas and monkeys.

The one with the more entries in /usr/local is a FACTORY USE (on production line, for internal testing) ONLY firmware image.
The other one you are looking at is CUSTOMER USE firmware image.

Look more closely and you will discover that only the FACTORY USE firmware has the ;installHtml search bar command implemented.
The CUSTOMER USE firmware DOES NOT!

That is the significant difference, a way to install our package signature certificate.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
bobcat4

I'm talking about factory 5.7.4
Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I'm talking about factory 5.7.4
I know you are talking about factory 5.7.4
It is a different firmware build, built for a different purpose.
In this case, the version numbers are not what is significant, what is significant is the purpose for which each was designed and built.

You tell me why WindowsCE is different from Windows10 and then I will try to tell you what the word: "different" means.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
bobcat4

I have an idea how could I downgrade to 5.7.4 Can you please try it if you have PW3 with serial connection?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have an idea how could I downgrade to 5.7.4 Can you please try it if you have PW3 with serial connection?
If I have a serial connection I would just put our *.pem file in /etc/uks and be done with it all.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #12
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If I have a serial connection I would just put our *.pem file in /etc/uks and be done with it all.

I know that it is possible to downgrade using serial port - once you have the serial port access you pretty much have full access to the file system, the same as the updater software that kindle uses.

But if you are not very careful, and do anything wrong, it is very easy to brick your kindle this way, so it is not something I would recommend to anyone without a good amount of Linux experience.

Because the actual command can vary on different software versions, and different hardware versions, its not easy to put into a script.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:57 AM   #13
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
Quote:
ONE MORE TIME! ...
It is NOT the version number which is significant!!!

The significant difference is that between a "for factory, production line, testing ONLY firmware image and that which is (normally) released to the customer.
(It even says that several places in the file by none other than the author Amazon/Lab126)
Dammit, I've stupidly thrown away that scrap of paper where I wrote down the 10-digit build number in brackets after the firware version. But I remember definitely that there was a small difference between the "out-of-the-box 5.8.9.0.1" on the two PW3 I've jailbroken a month ago, and the build number in the "5.8.9.0.1" initial factory build. Interestingly, not in the last digits, but in the middle of this long number instead. If I remember it correctly: in one variant there was a "7", while in the other the same digit was "8". But all other digits were the same...

I propose that we should be more detailed when mentioning a "firmware version". This should always include the build number. E.g. the user fw I'm using right now is "5.8.11 (3243020037)"
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #14
bobcat4

Quote:
I have a feeling the recovery-util does not read the /etc/uks and reads the key from different place.

And it checks the bundle type and compares the version number as well.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have a feeling the recovery-util does not read the /etc/uks and reads the key from different place.

And it checks the bundle type and compares the version number as well.
You where not specific enough for a more specific answer.

What you are writing about now is the OTA implementation in the kernel's initramfs.

I have made posts here about how to extract and examine that appendage to the kernel.

Also, realize that the implementation might change with any firmware release number.
(since the uImage is always shipped with an update)