Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 09:00 AM   #16
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Got my Cybook in time for Christmas

Hi, I am new to the forum but I have been browsing it for weeks. Thanks to all the postings I decided to get the Cybook instead of the Sony 505. One main reason is that I had already been reading MobiBooks on my old Casio Cassiopeia PDA for several years until it died. The user replaceable battery was also a plus.
Talk about bad marketing. I was in London last week and just could not find a single shop that carried the Cybook. WH Smith, the book shop chain that has it on their online catalogue did not have it on sale in any of their shops and said it would take 5 to 10 days to order one. You would think that they could at least have a few in one of their bigger stores. Even with the credit crunch, their management does not seem to be awake.
Finally got one in Paris at the computer warehouse shop Grosbill.
I am very happy with it and look forward to reading lots of books on it. By the way, has anyone used it for reading Japanese yet?
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
W.H. Smith's only sell the Gen3 online. You should have known that if you've been reading this forum . You can order it to collect from a store if you wish, but it's not sold in the stores.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2008, 09:55 AM   #18
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are right Harry

I should have ordered online like you said but I did not have the time to do it before I left. Also, I thought I would be able to find a shop in Tottenham Court Road that carried it. As it turned out, two shops had the Sony 505 and the BeBook but none had the Cybook. It is strange that Bookeen is not doing anything to make it more easily available in the UK.
By the way, I just downloaded your scan of the complete Sherlock Holmes. It is just brilliant. Thank you so much for all your work.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:10 PM   #19
JinRoh
JinRoh began at the beginning.

Device: ¿Cybook / Hanlin / Sony?
Quick question:

Why did you choose the Cybook? I still haven't decided between this and the Sony... and the Sony is cheaper and *seems* better.

Why did you buy this?

Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, 2007 thread

Last edited by JinRoh; 12-27-2008 at 06:27 PM.
JinRoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #20
Polyglot27
Addict

Hi JinRoh, After looking at both machines I decided that I prefer the Cybook because 1. It is almost 100 g lighter, 2. It takes the Mobi format which has a lot of free titles. I already have a collection which I used to read on mu PDA. 3. the battery is user replaceable, 4. the page turn button is softer on the Cybook. The Sony has other advantages which might interest other users.
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #21
JinRoh
JinRoh began at the beginning.

Device: ¿Cybook / Hanlin / Sony?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
The Sony has other advantages which might interest other users.
Such as?

Thanks Still trying to decide.
JinRoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 PM   #22
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Talk about the gift that keeps on giving.....I got my Cybook last year for Christmas and this year I got a gift card from Books on Board in my Christmas stocking.

The Cybook is going strong, no problems, and I am just as happy with it today (more than a year later) as I was this time last year. One of the very best gifts I've ever gotten....and the gift card that was in this year's stocking is a big bonus.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 PM   #23
sw122683
sw122683 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
I recevied my cybook on Christmas, finanlly.Then I found this place when searching information about it...
Fortunately, I knew few things about ebook reader back to the time when I decided to go for one. I just followed my colleague's choice.I've to say, it's a pretty wise choice. So far, everything's been so amazing.
sw122683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #24
Polyglot27
Addict

Hi JinRoh, The Sony is said to have a bookmark function that is easier to use but since I never use bookmarks, it is not an issue. It also reads DRMed e-books in the EPUB format which you can buy from Waterstones in the UK, but it doesn't support the Mobi format which I am interested in.
For a fair comparison, look at this site:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/11...ders_round_up/