Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I agree. My cell phones for the past 7 years have had a built-in camera and I have yet to take a single picture with it.
when I still had a phone with a camera, I made a few pictures with it. So I could change the background image with it
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #17
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish View Post
http://news.lenovo.com/article_displ...rticle_id=1468
Preorder - Ideapad from now and Thinkpad from 2 Aug.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/t...95B3D5E300F333

Thinkpad looks very interesting!
thanks for the heads up - here are anticipated prices and launch dates for the UK:
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/mobile-d...play-40093466/
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #18
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Front and rear cameras AGAIN bumping up the price. Why can't they offer a cameraless option?
Aren't they cheaper that the iPad? Why offer the same things for an even lower price and be called a cheap iPad?

Anyway, I found an article about what they should do to succeed. The last item on page 2 is the funniest:
Quote:
Target the Apple haters

It’s a rather odd thing in the tablet space, but so far, no company has been willing to directly target Apple haters in the consumer market. In fact, most firms are trying to appeal to all consumers. The only problem is, Apple is selling boatloads of iPads, and even people that don’t swear allegiance to the company are buying its tablets. However, there are still millions around the globe that can’t stand Apple and the very thought of buying its tablets sickens them. That’s the market Lenovo should capitalize on. After all, in that space, the company doesn’t need to compete against the most dangerous alternative in the industry.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Front facing still meets the definition of not being cameraless.

I do think rear cameras are unweildy on large tablets.
True. I was under the impression that it was the duo-camera thing people found unnecessary and cost-increasing.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #20
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I wont have a tablet without both cameras. I am not a teenager or using it to sext anyone.

I am a father of two children under the age of 8. the grandparents of these children( and a good portion of the rest of the family) live on the other side of the continent. when we video chat with them and other relatives its much easier to show them opening presents and blowing out candles when i can hold the device looking at the display, chat a little and then switch to the rear camera to allow the folks to watch the kids while i keep everything in view.

augmented reality is another nifty thing to use the rear camera for.

these cameras cost about 1.50-2.50 in volume to add. They are adding value to the device not expense. The retail margins are super slim already on tablets. leaving these out wouldnt alter the pricing but for many consumers would make them less desirable next to devices at the same price or lower that have them.

mind you there are plenty of tablets out there without the rear camera.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #21
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I wont have a tablet without both cameras. I am not a teenager or using it to sext anyone.

I am a father of two children under the age of 8. the grandparents of these children( and a good portion of the rest of the family) live on the other side of the continent. when we video chat with them and other relatives its much easier to show them opening presents and blowing out candles when i can hold the device looking at the display, chat a little and then switch to the rear camera to allow the folks to watch the kids while i keep everything in view.

augmented reality is another nifty thing to use the rear camera for.

these cameras cost about 1.50-2.50 in volume to add. They are adding value to the device not expense. The retail margins are super slim already on tablets. leaving these out wouldnt alter the pricing but for many consumers would make them less desirable next to devices at the same price or lower that have them.

mind you there are plenty of tablets out there without the rear camera.
What would it take to price these things in the $300 - $400 range consistently?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #22
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

much cheaper displays, processors and storage.

now of course these are not exact and the various companies may have better or worse deals because of contract pricing but these are very close

ipad 2 billof materials $326

the cameras together are costing about 4.30 for the ipad2

HP touchpad BOM $318

the single 1.3 mp front facer costs $2.50. it is what most companies are using for the front camera

the Xoom's cameras are pricier at $14 for the pair. They are using a 5mp autofocusing rear camera. Figure $12 for that camera considering a similar or possibly even the exact same camera is used on the Nexus One phone
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #23
Dulin's Books
Wizard

of course there are bigger issues with pricing than costs. the main problem with pricing comes from the mobile phone market where the actual cost of the device is almost entirely hidden. "if a phone is free why should a tablet( smartphone with big screen and no phone capability) cost so much more?"

for instance the most expensive phone to produce at $262 the HTC Thunderbolt will likely be free with a 2 year contract. at normal retail pricing that phone should cost $500,giving it a little wiggle room for sale pricing. but no one will ever see that price. so "they" don't have an understanding of the real costs.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #24
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
thanks for the heads up - here are anticipated prices and launch dates for the UK:
My head is having a hard time figuring out whether is it supposed to be focussing on the icons, or the person whose reflection I see glaring out at me from the Corning Gorilla Glass-equipped screen.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:35 AM   #25
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
My head is having a hard time figuring out whether is it supposed to be focussing on the icons, or the person whose reflection I see glaring back at me from the Corning Gorilla Glass-equipped screen.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote