Same question, different ereader.

Where can I get a PRS-950 in Canada?

Thanks
Chris
Christopher888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
The Sony store?
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher888 View Post
Hi,

Same question, different ereader.

Where can I get a PRS-950 in Canada?

Thanks
Chris
USUnlocked.com
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
starrlamia
Zealot
starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrlamia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PB 16g
My local sony store said the 950 wont be sold in canada so US unlocked is probably the best option (unless you know someone in the USA who can nab you one and ship it)
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
adorama.com, bhphotovideo.com ship to Canada.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
what 3G does it have? SIM card or simless CDMA?
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #7
hel
Sorceress
hel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to beholdhel is a splendid one to behold

Device: Onyx Air2&Nova 3C,Kindle oasis1,Kobo Forma,iPad pro 12.9&9.7,and more.
There is a SIM card. But you can access only Sony bookstore by 3G and only in US. I think this is the reason why 950 is not available in Canada. Actually for web-surfing you can use only WiFi. As far as I prefer to buy books from Amazon, 3G is quite useless for me.
hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Nesokas
Nesokas began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
My local sony store said the 950 wont be sold in canada so US unlocked is probably the best option (unless you know someone in the USA who can nab you one and ship it)
Have you used them before? Are they trustful? And someone know why all the sites that sell the PRS-950 internationally are out of stock? Would they be in stock again soon?
Nesokas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
burntbreakfast
burntbreakfast began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor or Sony Daily
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but already I love how helpful you guys are. Here's my question:

Living in Canada, we don't get the PRS-950, but since I'm heading down south soon, I plan to lock myself in Best Buy for an hour testing all the eReaders before settling on one. But here's the thing: I've heard waaaaay too many conflicting stories about the B&N Nook, and the (non)trouble with registering it, and having a US billing address attached to the credit card, blah blah blah, and yet I haven't heard a peep about Canadian users of the Sony Daily.

Is that true? Does Sony really not care? And I can just, buy one in the States, port it back, plug it in, register it here (or not, if it's not necessary), and start reading?

Cheers everyone!
burntbreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
jessie102
Addict
jessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animalsjessie102 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: SONY PRS505
registration isn't necessary for the usage of the PRS 950
jessie102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntbreakfast View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but already I love how helpful you guys are. Here's my question:

Living in Canada, we don't get the PRS-950, but since I'm heading down south soon, I plan to lock myself in Best Buy for an hour testing all the eReaders before settling on one. But here's the thing: I've heard waaaaay too many conflicting stories about the B&N Nook, and the (non)trouble with registering it, and having a US billing address attached to the credit card, blah blah blah, and yet I haven't heard a peep about Canadian users of the Sony Daily.

Is that true? Does Sony really not care? And I can just, buy one in the States, port it back, plug it in, register it here (or not, if it's not necessary), and start reading?

Cheers everyone!
Hi, burntbreakfast! Unlike B&N, Sony has an ebookstore specifically for Canadians. They call it "Reader Store Canada". Here is a link to a list of the current bestsellers at the Canadian ebookstore to give you an idea of the selection.
http://ebookstore.sony.com/bestselle...r-store-canada

You access the bookstore via special software from Sony called Reader Library. It is sort of like iTunes for ebooks. You then transfer the books to your ereader via USB cable. You won't be able to access the Sony Canadian store wirelessly with the 950 like we can in the US (see Post #7). You should still be able to use Wi-fi to surf the web and access wikipedia. Other posts that I've read suggest that the Sony Canadian ebookstore does not have as large a selection as Kobo does. Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
burntbreakfast

@jessie102 - You just heard a huge sigh of relief. Thanks.

@Bookworm_Girl - Actually, I plan to do most of my reading from the library (Overdrive) and Kobo (because I have a Chapters card), and I don't have a problem with sideloading. So the Reader store, although a useful option, isn't really a priority. However, it's good to know that the WiFi works.

Actually, I would go with a PRS-650, because it fits all my requirements, really, but every time I head into Best Buy or a Sony Style, I try it out, and it just seems so...fussy. A wee bit sluggish, too. And I definitely prefer a larger, 7" screen to 6". That's my rationale.

Ah, one more thing: Is the warranty only valid in the US?

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
For what it's worth, my 950 is my primary reading device. I really like the 7" screen. I had the older 900 and upgraded to the 950 in November. I thought the 7" was a weird aspect ratio before I used it, but now it just seems natural. The 950 is very light. It's very similar in size to my Kindle 3. I read a lot of Overdrive libary books, and the 950 works great for that. I also buy from Kobo frequently since they have great prices and lots of coupons. Library and Kobo books both work fine on my Nook Color too.

Sorry, I'm not sure about the warranty.

Have fun shopping!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntbreakfast View Post
@Bookworm_Girl - Actually, I plan to do most of my reading from the library (Overdrive) and Kobo (because I have a Chapters card), and I don't have a problem with sideloading. So the Reader store, although a useful option, isn't really a priority. However, it's good to know that the WiFi works.

Just so you know, you can't use your Chapters gift card to buy books from Kobobooks.com. I was told a year ago they're working on it but they're not there yet.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
burntbreakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Just so you know, you can't use your Chapters gift card to buy books from Kobobooks.com. I was told a year ago they're working on it but they're not there yet.
Actually, I meant the iRewards card, but I see what you mean because it's the same anyway, and which I didn't know. The message that pops up, when they redirect me from Chapters to Kobo, is that using "Indigo gift cards" and subscribing to eBooks is coming soon.

Irregardless. I had a look at the Sony Reader Canada store, and their selection isn't exactly puny. So using the Sony 950 and the NookColor in Canada, I'd have the selection of the same stores, reading much the same formats, and the main difference is, of course, the device. And judging by what I see and read of the NookColor, I'm really not sure the extras are worth the ridiculous trouble of acquiring it.

Just thinking out loud here.