Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
bobkoure
bobkoure began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7 (v1)
Interesting new tablet

Every so often, I google for
7" android tablet capacitive IPS (here's that serarch on google
This time, a bargain tablet popped up - the Ainol Novo 7 Aurora. It's Android 4 (ICS), has a capacitive IPS screen (IPS means a wide viewing angle, so you can lay the tablet on a table and read comfortably. It also lets more light through, so you can run with less backlight, which might mean better battery life).
the downside? Nobody's rooted it (yet). No google market. No GPS, no 3G radio, I don'tthink it has BT.
But it's, IMO, pretty cheap: currently just under $170 on eCrater.

I may buy one, but only after someone roots it.

Any pioneering folks here using one?
bobkoure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
This is the same tablet that I am eyeing, as well.

Reading slatedroid and xda one finds some instructions on getting Google apps and market on Aurora:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/2868...-script-tools/

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/2865...ked-questions/

I am having a hard time deciding between Elf and Aurora. I love my Dell IPS display, but worry about the glossy finish that Aurora supposedly has.

I used to get horrible headaches from my Acer One when it had a glossy LCD(not IPS of course). When it mercifully broke, I replaced it with matte LCD and it has been great for reading ever since.

Thus, I figure I would probably be happy with Elf (same resolution as my netbook, except smaller form factor). Still, maybe Aurora would be even easier on eyes?

Another big question: How well would Elf/Aurora scroll/flip through PDFs, DJVUs. This is one area where my Ectaco Jetbook is not really sufficient.

Friend with dual core Samsung S2 Android phone claims that scrolling through PDFs is instant, but Allwinner A10 CPU is a single core chip using older architecture (Cortex A9 vs A8).
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkoure View Post
the downside? Nobody's rooted it (yet). No google market. No GPS, no 3G radio, I don'tthink it has BT.
But it's, IMO, pretty cheap: currently just under $170 on eCrater.
B&N just reduced the Nook Color to $169, and it IS rooted. In fact, in order to get ICS on it you have to root it.

I haven't been following the NC forum over at XDA-Developers, so I'm not sure if anyone has ported ICS to it yet, but I'd be surprised if they haven't.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I haven't been following the NC forum over at XDA-Developers, so I'm not sure if anyone has ported ICS to it yet, but I'd be surprised if they haven't.
Looks like they've got some experimental builds going right now.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Looks like they've got some experimental builds going right now.
I'm using CM9 as part of a Triple Boot with Stock 1.4.1 (latest and then rooted) on eMMC and CM9 (i.e. ICS aka Ice Cream Sandwich) & CM7 (i.e. GB aka Ginger Bread) on the sd card!!!! It's wonderful (except the CM9 part which is still a bit experimental). Previously, I had only Phiiremod 6.3 on my NC.

You can learn more about this on the xda forums, in the thread entitled "[ROMS]NEW! Dualboot Mirage CM7 / ICS CM9 Image for SDcard [2/19]".
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Yes, I spent a little time poking around over at XDA yesterday. I'm thinking it's time to drop the hammer on a NC. I need a touch screen interface for my home automation system, and this looks to be the one.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I'm using CM9 as part of a Triple Boot

and here I thought I was hard core because I blasted stock and installed CM9 on eMMC
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

and here I thought I was hard core because I blasted stock and installed CM9 on eMMC
Ha!

It took me a while to get enough confidence to tackle that flashing of three ROMs....

I bought my NC off ebay (Canadians can't just order one from B&N ) and it was already rooted on eMMC (with no stock firmware). It was (and still is) a very nice and capable android tablet, but I was missing the stock experience.

After I clobbered everything I tried updating from 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.3 and finally to 1.4, but nothing would allow me to register the device to my B&N.com account. I kept getting error "DAD1202" which I eventually found was because the previous owner, when installing Phiremod 6.3 on eMMC, didn't de-register the device from their B&N.com account when they were still using stock.

There is NO WAY to escape out of that predicament unless the original seller calls B&N to have their old device de-registered (which the fabulous lady who sold it to me, did for me, after my notifying her of that registration ordeal).

After completing the device registration, I can honestly say I'm becoming fond of this little ebook LCD reader. I like it as much if not better than the android nook app.

So yes, things usually do go wrong when venturing out to the unknown/untried, but perseverance helps win the battle!!!

Are you thinking of Triple booting now...
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote