Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
For those that are interested. I purchased the Black PDN from Bed Bath & Beyond when it came out in Canada (Before Cos-co's offering). I also have that folio cover that you just slide the PDN in from the top. This happens to be the weak point of the design as after weeks of use the covers grip tends to lessen over time.

I was disappointed with the Canadian Black PDN because it only came with Android OS 1.5 which is a big limiting factor w/re to availability of "Reading apps". Pandigital was offering a White version of the reader which has a removable back cover (exposes the battery and internal Micro-sdhc card reader). This white PDN was only available in he USA. To order one and have it shipped to my home added too much to it's cost to make it worth while, especially when there were other Android devices at a compareable price.

In late Nov of 2011 I noticed that Excess Cargo was offering the White PDN (refurbished) for $79 Canadian. I purchased one and I have not regretted my decision. It is a little heavier than the Black 7" PDN and comes with Android OS 2.0. Even though this device comes with the B&N reader built in I was able to add Kindle for Android as well as Kobo for Android. I also added several other non DRM ereaders. I exchanged the internal Micro SDHC card with an 8 gig Class (4) card. This gives the unit 4 gigs for the device and 4 gigs for the user. You still can expand user space by adding an external full size SDHC card (up to 32 gig in size). If the battery ever konks out you can probably replace it yourself).

The White PDN will not fit into the Folio cover designed for the Black PDN even though they are both 7". There is another folio cover that is inexpensive and locks in the reader via elastic straps at each corner. The W-PDN is a little heavier and appears to be better built. For $79 it is a better fix than repairing the Black 7" one. I still have my Black PDN and I have passed it on to my sister-in-law as an entry level reader for her.

I have occasionally popped into ExcessCargo to check on the availability of the White 7" PDN and I have found that they come in bunches throughout the year.

Summary - White Pandigital Novel 7' Colour e-reader.
Comes with Pandigital's latest firmware giving you open access to Android 2.0. You can easily upgrade the internal flash memory (not RAM). You can now use Kindle for Android as well as KOBO for Android. You can access books from the Local library as well. You can install any And 2.0 compatible app. You can sideload e-books via the external SDHC card reader or via USB cable, display/play compatible pictures and video etc.
It has a 800 mhz processor as well as supporting wifi 802.11 B/G/N.
It does not support Flash but there is an earlier version of "Youtube" app that does work. There is a web browser app that will play most video found on various web pages. The screen is a resistive touch screen but I find it is quite responsive to my touch.

Overall it is a good Android intro device as well as an e-reader.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote