Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 11-24-2006, 02:32 PM   #1
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Pepper Pad 3 runs FBReader and MobiPocket

The Pepper Pad 3 is now in stock at amazon.com for $659. It is about 2x as wide and high as a Nokia 770 (significantly wider than I expected), with the screen about 1.6x as wide and high (800x480). I find I use my PP3 on the arm of an armchair (it has a built in stand), and my 770 for portability around the house and on travel.

A major advantage of the PP3 is that its AMD Geode LX800 processor is i836 compatible, and it runs a nearly standard version of Fedora Core 4. This means that many FC4 GTK+ rpms can be used "as is".

FBReader is available, and is an example of standard FC4 rpms working without change. A very basic Mobipocket reader is bundled with the machine, so reading encripted e-books is possible. However, I still use the 770 as my primary e-book reader.

A 7" 800x480 screen appears to be very popular on UMPC's. This screen size and the Geode cpu are used by the Raon Vega and the Kohjisha SA1F00 (both available in the US from Dynamism).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
I would think the PP3 would be much more usable if it included a touchpad (pointer button, whatever you want to call it) to control an on-screen pointer rather than depend on pen input, since it seems well-designed for two-handed use. How is it to use two-handed and still navigate buttons and such?

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
In normal use, this is a touchscreen device and it works best for stuff that does not need heavy text input. I tend to use the pen and the scrollwheel only for most tasks. This works well for web navigation and for e-book reading. MobiPocket has on-screen arrows for next and last page, and both MobiPocket and FBReader accept the scrollwheel for the same purpose. The scrollwheel is large and below the right hand keypad, and works just like a standard mouse scrollwheel. I find the direction pad on the left less useful, although it will also page flip e-books.

You are correct, though, that two-handed text heavy work needs another navigation method. CarryPad's review made the same point. However, I don't know what kind of input device would work best. Two handed keypad operation is actually better for a small screen, if the input ergonomics could be sorted out.

For anything complicated I put the PP3 on a desk with a USB mouse and keyboard (bluetooth also available).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote