Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-17-2006, 04:59 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thoughts how to flash the iLiad ourselves

Couldn't we think of booting the iLiad directly via a TFTP-Server addressing the iLiad through its MAC address? Does anyone know if the iLiad has a serial interface?

Also check out this PDF: Running Linux on ARM Platforms
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Pretty sure it does. Part of the core bootstrap includes the OpenEmbedded tool setserial.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then it should be relatively easy to boot the iLiad via TFTP, especially since we have the compressed linux image.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #4
deadite66
Groupie
deadite66 began at the beginning.

Device: irex iliad, uk Kindle gen3
is it possible to redirect (ettercap?) to a custom ids server and download that way?
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:59 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
The 91c111 and the PXA-255 support a firmware downloading feature.

The PXA-255 has a well defined JTAG interface for driving it (and downloading firmware) that may be hooked to the USB interface through extended USB registers (a common embedded system hack).

The PXA-255 has a light weight and a full hardware handshake UART for RS-232C.

I don't know which of the above (or some other means) iRex implemented in their design. I'd put my money on the USB JTAG interface though, it is the most straight forward and provides pretty complete hardware debugging support.

One other clue, their developer posting made a reference to a debug environment that was unfamiliar to me. Someone could run that reference down in Google...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch

scotty, can you post us the reference to the debug environment? That's very exciting news if we don't have to open the iLiad in order to access its serial interface.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #7
b_k
Übernerd
b_k is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
...One other clue, their developer posting made a reference to a debug environment that was unfamiliar to me. Someone could run that reference down in Google...
http://www.lauterbach.de/icd.html
Thats what i found with google "lauterbach debugger" and going through their products listing searching for JTAG.
b_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #8
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Or possibly this device:
http://www.lauterbach.de/frames.html?bdmarm.html

Thanks for the Google work, I'm guessing my clicking on English only in my preferences kept me from finding it...
Old 08-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned

More on JTAG: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTAG
More on Philips USB chip said to be in iLiad: http://jp.semiconductors.philips.com...ISP1362-04.pdf

The Philips USB chip has the three test pins... but the above PDF doesn't document how to open up any support the chip might have for USB debug access. iRex may have a hacked Travel Hub that allows yanking a pin to enable/disable JTAG access. This kind of hack allows for easier diagnostics of returned defective units, which is why this kind of support gets my money as it allows all units to be JTAG'd for repair, not just "development" units.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #10
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
I'd put my money on the USB JTAG interface though, it is the most straight forward and provides pretty complete hardware debugging support.
At some point, some iRex guy told that a full reflash couldn't be done by the iRex programmers themselves, but only in some hardware repair center. (Anybody can find that or tell me I remember it wrong?) Since then, I'm no longer convinced that the JTAG interface is accessible through the connector.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned

I've been wondering where the boot code lives.

The MSystems device seems to have the kernel and user document filesystems but can't hold the reset, POST, configure and boot loader.

Maybe they were speaking to that?
Old 08-18-2006, 03:04 AM   #12
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
For thoso who want a gentle introduction to what is a JTAG, and how to use a JTAG from Linux to program a Linux device (an iPAQ in the example), here are some links:

http://web.archive.org/web/200410290...de/jtag-howto/
HP iPaq H5450 JTAG HOWTO

http://openwince.sourceforge.net/jtag/
JTAG Tools (Linux)

http://repair4pda.org/handheld_jtag.html
How to Build a JTAG Interface for PDA or Handheld PC

http://openwince.sourceforge.net/jtag/iPAQ-3600/
How to connect the cables on an iPAQ for JTAG flash programming and a sample work session with Linux JTAG Tools

http://axl.freeyellow.com/iPAQ/image...C5-pp2jtag.pdf
Schematics of a simple DIY JTAG adaptor (parallel port to JTAG), supported by Linux JTAG Tools (it seems to be the one used in the previous example).

Now we only have to know if the pins of the JTAG are in the iliad connector or if it's necessary to open the iliad to reach the nedded points.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote