Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you be upgrading to the Paperwhite II proposed below?
Yes. Upgrading from Paperwhite. 17 22.67%
Yes. Upgrading from and old reader, or different brand. 7 9.33%
No. Have Paperwhite already. Not enough improvement. 44 58.67%
No. I haven't got a PW, but will wait until my reader breaks. 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #46
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
So you are honestly happy that the PW has such a few selectable fonts, few margin choices, few line spacing choices, and basically little control of the text? I seriously doubt it.
No, I'm not at all happy with either the limited options above or the fact that the PW doesn't play nicely with Calibre. I have JB my device but it still doesn't function as smoothly with Calibre as either the Sony or Kobo readers. Another annoyance is the fact that never switching on wifi means that the clock doesn't keep correct time - clocks do NOT need internet access to keep time, this is ridiculous.

The PW is both my first and last Kindle reader and, for me, the only advantage it has is the amount of real estate devoted to text when in reading mode. Just waiting to see what the offering from Sony is this year, and whether Kobo release another 6" reader, before deciding what to buy. Even if Amazon release a new PW, I doubt very much whether they will change any of the things that would make it better for me.

I did in fact have a Kobo Glo before I bought the PW - I made the change because at the time it was impossible to dim the light on the Glo sufficiently. However, I understand this has now been rectified, so in the event of no interesting new 6" readers appearing this year, I may get another Glo. In any event, there will soon be another PW for sale on eBay.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #47
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn2012 View Post
Another annoyance is the fact that never switching on wifi means that the clock doesn't keep correct time - clocks do NOT need internet access to keep time, this is ridiculous.
Are you *seriously* going to tell me that *no wifi* is the reason why the clock starts going haywire once in a while? That's just...
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle's clock is reset when you reboot the device. It gets set correctly when you connect to Amazon's servers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #49
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That explains it. Sometimes I need to reboot because the front-light gets stuck. It won't turn on when it's off, or won't turn off when it's on. It has something to do with the interaction between the sleep cover magnet and the on-off button. A reboot fixes this. It happened a few days ago, so I'll take a look at the clock.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Turn on WiFi and do a "Sync and Check for Items". That'll set the clock correctly. You can turn WiFi off again then.
Advert
Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #51
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Heh. I just set the time in the settings. Does that count, or is this too low-tech?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

But you didn't set the date (there is no local option to set the date). That's why I said you needed to connect to WiFi. I don't just make these things up for my own amusement .
Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #53
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

That's it. I'm going back to reading parchment....
Old 07-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #54
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Are you *seriously* going to tell me that *no wifi* is the reason why the clock starts going haywire once in a while? That's just...
It sounds ridiculous to me as well, but it's the answer I got when I started posting about it in forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle's clock is reset when you reboot the device. It gets set correctly when you connect to Amazon's servers.
My device is not registered with Amazon and so is never connected to their servers. I fail to see why I can't just set the time manually and expect it to keep good time without accessing the internet (or Amazon) like any other device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Heh. I just set the time in the settings. Does that count, or is this too low-tech?
That was my first thought, unfortunately after a few days or a week I suddenly realise that the clock is wrong, not by minutes but by many hours. This happened a number of times until I eventually gave up using the clock altogether.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #55
Zakilephoth
Zakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire
I'm interested in a PW II if improvements have been made to the original's front lighting. A higher res eink screen would be a mark on the plus side as well.

Going to have to buy some form of upgrade for my K4 since I have used the page turn buttons to the point the right hand side page forward has fell off..
Zakilephoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #56
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakilephoth View Post

Going to have to buy some form of upgrade for my K4 since I have used the page turn buttons to the point the right hand side page forward has fell off..
That is the first I have heard of that happening.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #57
Zakilephoth
Zakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enoughZakilephoth will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That is the first I have heard of that happening.
Well I'm not sure if it was caused by of daily use over 2 years time or it was just a slip during QA checking. When I first got it, the right side page turning buttons were loose to the point they could rattle and had a spongy movement when you pressed them opposed to the left side where the buttons were stiff.

Perhaps I was sent a factory misfire?
Zakilephoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #58
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Quote:
Quote:
But you didn't set the date (there is no local option to set the date). That's why I said you needed to connect to WiFi. I don't just make these things up for my own amusement .
Lol. You mean that you can't manually set it? What were they thinking?? That people are too stupid to figure it out on their own? The target audience is people that read books, for heaven's sake!

Last edited by DSpider; 07-03-2013 at 01:38 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #59
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
I've recently upgraded from a K2i to a KPW and I'm very impressed. I tell myself I'd like more screen space and less edge but this would probably just end up with me touching the screen when I don't want to.

I didn't think I'd like the touch screen but I now prefer this to the buttons on the k2i. It also makes the dictionary very easy to use now.

I'd like to have text to voice back but then I found the voice a bit grating - perhaps if they really improved the voice reading then that might be an advantage (to me) but I only ever used it when I was soaking in the bath.

I used to like the fact that my old one had 3G - I would always demo the k2i to sceptical folks by asking them what their favourite book was and then quickly downloading the 1st chapter. I was a bit cheap this time round and didn't go for 3G as really I never used it.

Probably the stuff I'd want more than anything else is just the active content which us poor users outside the US can't have. I'd just like to have a game of scrabble every now and then or perhaps have an interface to a chess server on the internet. A nice calender or a simple text editor would also be nice.

Maybe I'm just easy to please.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #60
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
I don't think that there will be a new kindle this year. They pushed the tech just about as far as it can go for now. I expect in a year or two to see a liquivista kindle and in the meantime nothing.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote