Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #61
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I bought a Kobo touch around mid 2011.
I have since given it to my son as I recently upgraded to a kobo glo, but it's still going strong with absolutely no problems and the battery still lasts for ages.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #62
jessicalynn
Zealot
jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jessicalynn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Nook First Gen (broken), iPad, Kindle Touch SO
My first generation nook lasted about a year and a half until the screen died (half the screen just stopped working) and I've had my Kindle touch for a little over a year now and it still works fine.
jessicalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #63
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I have a kindle keyboard and a Nook for 2-3 years. No problems. Batteries are still fine as well. The only kindles I have known to not work have been dropped. It's easy to replace the battery.

I prefer dedicated readers. If I wanted a tablet, I'd buy one. The dedicated readers are far easier to read.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #64
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I got my Sony 650 in 2010. A little piece of the plastic case just broke off, near the volume button (which I never use), so now there is a sharp edge there. This happened JUST as I was seriously thinking about upgrading to a front-lit reader... The touchscreen and battery, however, are still going strong, no problems.
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #65
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
My husband's Kobo packed it in - the power switch simply broke. We went to Staples and I waved an iPad mini under his nose and the not-all-that-techie SO went for it. The Kobo was only - so a bit disappointed in the wear and tear on that. So far the mini is like crack and the most beautiful to play with and read display. Sigh, I am soooo trying not to drop my Vox....
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #66
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I've been an ereader for about three years and although I'm 71 I still think I have a few years left as an ereader.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #67
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I've been an ereader for about three years and although I'm 71 I still think I have a few years left as an ereader.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #68
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
From the PW user guide - so I would assume a similar range for other models
Operating temperature: 0C to 35C (32F to 95F)
Storage temperature: -10C to 45C (14F to 113F)
I've used a Kobo Touch well outside of those temperature ranges. The performance of the battery and the screen degrades when it gets extremely cold (say -20 C), but it has always bounced back. I don't see why Kindles would be any different. The screens are virtually identical. The batteries probably have a similar chemistry. Semiconductors are pretty tolerant of the cold.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #69
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I've had my Kindle keyboard since 2010. It hasn't failed me yet, though I did drop something on it and put a microscopic dent in the screen.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #70
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The reason stores sell warranties is the fact that they can be one of their most profitable items. The majority of people who purchase in store warranties never use them. And the stores that are warranting the product themselves, are selling a product that does not cost them anything up front. It is a win win situation for retailers.
Agree. We've always avoided them since Visa doubles the manufacturer's warranty at no cost. We've only had to use it a couple of times, but I remember being amazed at the hassle-free customer service.

I'm hoping for a long life for my Pocket Edge. I bought it on sale for practically nothing in September of 2010 and it's by far my favorite gadget ever!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #71
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
I bought 2 Libre Pro's in Dec., 2010. They are both going strong - if battery time has lessened, it isn't obvious. My husband read his for hours every day from the time of purchase - about mid-Dec, 2010 until he died last Oct. (22 mos.). I just checked my list of books he read and it numbers 602. There were probably 50 books before I started keeping a list for him, and probably another 50-60 that were ordered from the library. So I figure somewhere between 700-750 books.
I have also purchased a Nook Glow for myself and am extremely pleased with glowlight. So much better than any book-light I ever tried. But I carry the Libre when I'm out and about as I feel it has already paid for itself and if it is ever broken or lost, I can't complain.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #72
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
My kindle keyboard died after two years. Screen is unbroken, battery is still good; don't know what went wrong, but it's dead.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #73
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I've had my Kindle Keyboard since December 2010. It sometimes locks up when I try to wake it up from the screen saver. Sometimes holding down the button doesn't reset it, but plugging the Kindle into a computer wakes it up.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #74
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Just passed my 3 year old Nook classic on to my niece, still going strong after some pretty heavy use.

The battery seems to hold its charge for just as long as it always did. Will say that the touchscreen seems to be a little slower to respond than it originally did though.

Hoping my used Sony 350 lives forever, because I love that light little machine.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #75
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
For those of us over 60, the real question will be the life expectancy of the reader, rather than the ereader that will be the major concern.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote