Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll nominate Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand.

From Amazon:

Quote:
Amazon Best Books of the Month, November 2010: From Laura Hillenbrand, the bestselling author of Seabiscuit, comes Unbroken, the inspiring true story of a man who lived through a series of catastrophes almost too incredible to be believed. In evocative, immediate descriptions, Hillenbrand unfurls the story of Louie Zamperini--a juvenile delinquent-turned-Olympic runner-turned-Army hero. During a routine search mission over the Pacific, Louie’s plane crashed into the ocean, and what happened to him over the next three years of his life is a story that will keep you glued to the pages, eagerly awaiting the next turn in the story and fearing it at the same time. You’ll cheer for the man who somehow maintained his selfhood and humanity despite the monumental degradations he suffered, and you’ll want to share this book with everyone you know. --Juliet Disparte
I usually don't read non-fiction, but I'll give this a read if it wins.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
For my last nomination, I'm suggesting Christ Stopped at Eboli. Carlo Levi was a doctor subjected to banishment for anti-fascism in the mid 1930s. This is his powerful account of his time in exile in a primitive area in southern Italy.

The Italians in the club have no doubt read this, but perhaps they can weigh in.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
My call would be that this is more in the historical fiction category. It's up to sun surfer though. I don't feel strongly about it at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
As for Hadrian, it's a book I've meant to read for decades, so an incentive would be a good thing! I think that non-fiction is non-fiction, though, and we don't have many windows for it. So while I'll read it happily, if sun surfer says no perhaps we could nominate it in a more appropriate month?
Guys you are right - rules are rules, there will be other months, and the book does not even exist in electronic format, so while I thank Beppe for his support, so let me take it back, it would be unfair to put sunsurfer on the spot, and I can keep this nomination up my sleeve for another month.

Christ stopped at Eboli is a great book, which I read eons ago, so glad to second it.

Now I've got to think carefully about my third nomination...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Vandy has been keeping a nice tally of nominations in prior months; I'm not sure where s/he is now (perhaps on August vacation?). I will tally when I can but if anyone else wants to help out if it's been awhile since the last tally, then that would be great.

Here's a tally of the nominations so far:

People Of The Abyss by Jack London - 5
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote - 1
Insurgent Mexico by John Reed - 4
Letters by Heloise & Pierre Abelard/Historia Calamitatum by Pierre Abelard - 2
Garden Of The Beasts by Erik Larson - 1
Unbroken: A World War II Story Of Survival, Resilience, And Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand - 1
Christ Stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi - 2

Please let me know of any corrections/mistakes.

Last edited by sun surfer; 08-24-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: fixed carlo levi
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #20
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
September Nomination Results

Hey, All.

Vandy is still here and kicking. HE has written up the nomination choices and will be keeping it up to date.

*** NOMINATION RESULTS FOR THE SEPTEMBER BOOK CHOICE ***

Choices are shown in Vote order first then alphabetically.

NOTE: Nomination will continue until 27 AUGUST or when five books receives five votes each.

Nominations . . . . . Book Title / Author(
(5) . . . . . . . . . . . Christ Stopped at Eboli by Carlo Levi
(5) . . . . . . . . . . . Insurgent Mexico by John Reed
(5) . . . . . . . . . . . People of the Abyss by Jack London
(5) . . . . . . . . . . . Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survial by Laura Hilenbrand
(3) . . . . . . . . . . . Letters by Heloise and Pierre Abelard and Historia Calamitatum by Pierre Abelard
(2) . . . . . . . . . . . Covering Islam: How the Media and the Experts Determine How We See the Rest of the World by Edward Said
(2) . . . . . . . . . . . In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
(1) . . . . . . . . . . . Bardo Thopal, aka The Tibetan Book of the Dead edited by W. Y. Evans-Wentz
(1) . . . . . . . . . . . The Garden of the Beast by Erik Larson
(1) . . . . . . . . . . . The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age by Frances Yates

Last edited by Vandy; 08-26-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Create Nomination Results for September, 2011
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Christ Stopped at Eboli by ? (Carlo Levi?) - 2

Please let me know of any corrections/mistakes.
Carlo Levi is correct.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:59 PM   #22
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll nominate Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand.

From Amazon:

I usually don't read non-fiction, but I'll give this a read if it wins.
I withdraw my nomination (It seems a little early to label Unbroken as "literature"). I thought this was the other book club thread.

Sorry for the confusion.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #23
Vandy
...always be humble.
Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vandy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s, iPod Touch 3rd Gen, Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle Fire
Post #20 contains the current nomination results.
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #24
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I will second In Cold Blood.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:39 PM   #25
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
For my last nomination, I'm suggesting Christ Stopped at Eboli. Carlo Levi was a doctor subjected to banishment for anti-fascism in the mid 1930s. This is his powerful account of his time in exile in a primitive area in southern Italy.

The Italians in the club have no doubt read this, but perhaps they can weigh in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
Guys you are right - rules are rules, there will be other months, and the book does not even exist in electronic format, so while I thank Beppe for his support, so let me take it back, it would be unfair to put sunsurfer on the spot, and I can keep this nomination up my sleeve for another month.

Christ stopped at Eboli is a great book, which I read eons ago, so glad to "second it.

Now I've got to think carefully about my third nomination...
Thank you Issybird, it is always a pleasure to see an Italian book considered in an international contest. Indeed Christ stopped at Eboli is a great book! As Paola affirms.
Driving South from Naples, there is a place, more or less around where Eboli is, when one perceives that Europe stops, and something else starts. Even now. It is more noticeable driving from South to North, as one can see, after endless miles in a panorama that belongs to Homerus' times, the fertile fields, the factories, the power lines of modernity.
So the tale of Carlo Levi is very true. He was a great man, a father of the country, although always kind and modest.
He tells of his time in this God forgotten corner. Tells the story of the humbles, the violence that they suffer from the powerful, divided in the modernistic - on the side of the current government -and in the old fashioned - on the side of the brigants, the bandits - divided in factions but always united in taking advantages, in spoiling. Exactly like now, literally.
Unfortunately for us, the artist Levi tells the story, with much human warmth and sympathy for the humbles. He touches our heart, rather than our minds. I consider it a novel. A narrative. An example of minor neorealism ( the early Calvino and Pasolini belonging to the major, with Carlo Emilio Gadda leading by far).
I reread it quite recently as EBook. I enjoyed it, I liked the fresh prose, the warm humanity. But, being in Italy, I became so used to the drama of our deep South, to its hard crust, to its inclination to complain, and its resistence to change, that I could not finish it for the second time. A dejavu.

That is why I do not third it.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #26
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I nominate The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age by Frances Yates.

It is a while that I am reading by Frances Yates the Art of Memory, that I would have happily nominated, but there is no clean ebook that I know. so much knowledge of our past, so many occasions to learn, to deviate toward unexpected marvels. (I got a PDF somehow, somewhere).
Here is the description of the book I am nominating.

Spoiler:
The Occult Philosophy in the Elizabethan Age by Frances Yates

(6 reviews at Amazon.com)
Subjects: Education, Philosophy, Teaching Methods & Materials, Occult Sciences
Description: 'Among those who have explored the intellectual world of the sixteenth century, no one can rival Frances Yates. Wherever she looks, she illuminates . . . No one has done more than she to recreate, from unexpected material, the intellectual life of past ages.' – Hugh Trevor-Roper 'A welcome new edition of this classic work ...' – Network It is hard to overestimate the importance of the contribution made by Dame Frances Yates to the serious study of esotericism and the occult sciences. To her work can be attributed the contemporary understanding of the occult origins of much of western scientific thinking, indeed of western civilization itself. The Occult Philosophy of the Elizabethan Age was her last book, and in it she condensed many aspects of her wide learning to present a clear, penetrating, and, above all, accessible survey of the occult movements of the Renaissance, highlighting the work of John Dee, Giordano Bruno, and other key esoteric figures. The book is invaluable in illuminating the relationship between occultism and Renaissance thought, which in turn had a profound impact on the rise of science in the seventeenth century. Stunningly written and highly engaging, Yates' masterpiece is a must-read for anyone interested in the occult tradition. (from Amazon.com) « less

Last edited by beppe; 08-24-2011 at 05:18 PM.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #27
Condillac
Condillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmosCondillac has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3
I'll third Letters by Heloise & Abelard
Condillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #28
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Thank you Issybird, it is always a pleasure to see an Italian book considered in an international contest. Indeed Christ stopped at Eboli is a great book!
I read it maybe 20 years ago and it made an ineradicable impression on me as one of the truly great books of the mind and the spirit that I've encountered. I would like to revisit it (as with so many other books, where's the time, alas?) and nominated it as a goad to myself.

I'm out of ammunition, so I have to sit back and watch as this month plays out.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I withdraw my nomination (It seems a little early to label Unbroken as "literature"). I thought this was the other book club thread.

Sorry for the confusion.
Unbroken is literature. So I'll nominate it.

A book doesn't have to be old to be literature. It is literature because it is. Age is irrelevant.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:50 AM   #30
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
My first pick would be Montaillou: Promised Land of Error but it's dead tree only.
I'll nominate the first English translation of Bardo Thopal, aka The Tibetan Book of the Dead edited by W. Y. Evans-Wentz. Most are probably passingly familiar with this text, intended to be read aloud to the dying as a guide through the experiences accompanying death.

I'll also add a nomination for Christ Stopped at Eboli, and reserve one nomination, but I'm pulling for the Jack London book.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, literary, literature, nominations, non-fiction