Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 05-19-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Franklin, Ben: Autobiography v1.1 - 20 May 07

I am not happy with this version. (Better I say it first than wait for others to say it.) While the footnotes all seem to work, the chapter titles -- with a few exceptions -- do not work. I will (hopefully) get it right and post a revised version soon. Until then here is Ben Franklin's Autobiography.

While most school children and older in the USA know who he is, some of the MobileRead readers may not. He was one of out founding Fathers and a champion for freedom of the press. As a scientist he confirmed that lightening is electricity, developed the Franklin stove (very energy saving for the day), and was the first to create bifocals (glasses that can correct distance and near vision problems at the same time.) As a business man he ran a successful newspaper in Philadelphia and published Poor Richard's Almanac. As a diplomat he helped secure the French support for our war of independence from the British. As a patriot he helped guide Thomas Jefferson in the Writing of the Declaration of Independence.

Today most people know him as the picture on the $100 bill. (The largest USA currency in circulation.)

Enjoy the book. I have only read it about 20 times since I first read it in my teens. It inspired me then and continues to inspire me to this day.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin.lrf (2.52 MB, 1431 views)
File Type: lrf Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin (v 1.1).lrf (2.52 MB, 1741 views)

Last edited by RWood; 05-20-2007 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Added corrected version 1.1
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Thank you very much!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks! This book also had quite an effect of me when I read it. It makes one think about how often we waste this short life and how much can be done if we just had more discipline and focus on the right things. I'm sure it would similarly effect me if I were to reread it.

And don't forget one of his more interesting contributions... he pushed for the creation of libraries! I don't remember if it was through private book lending clubs or if he was the first to suggest public libraries, or what, but I do seem to remember something along those lines.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A fascinating man. I've always admired him. Thanks for posting this!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have posted version 1.1 that fixes all items cited as wrong in version 1. I did get BookDesigner working again after removing and reinstalling it from the beginning. I still want to change the formatting of the captions under the pictures a bit but the current presentation is quite acceptable on the whole.

If you read nothing else in the book, please read Chapter "IX: Plan For Attaining Moral
Perfection" wherein he sets out the 13 virtues he wants to make a habit of following. And the rest of the book is great. As I have said, I have only read it about 20 times.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert