Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 09-10-2007, 10:22 AM   #136
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD doesn't support tables. The option Patricia suggests will prevent them from being stripped out, but BD will convert them into plain text when the book is created.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #137
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use html2lrf
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2007, 12:55 PM   #138
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Well, you're right, Harry. Changing the setting didn't work. I've been working on Thoreau's Walden and he's got 4 or 5 lists in there showing expenditures and income and you can tidy that up all you want but when the book is made, the regular columns you've created disappear.

What we need in BD is the ability to highlight text and then click a command that tells BD to leave it the hell alone.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #139
aphil
Avid Reader
aphil began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Stuck in BookDesigner

Had trouble with Harry's BookDesigner tutorial because I didn't realize I needed to update Ver. 4. DUH! Did that and got going again. Until ...

HELP HELP! Somehow while working on the tutorial again, I lost the menu and toolbars at the top of the page. I think I hit the "R" box in the upper left-hand corner of the screen by mistake while editing the example book. I think I've figured out that now I'm in "Reading" mode. But ... how to get back to the editing screen with the Menu and toolbar? So far I've tried CTRL E and Esc with no luck. I can't even check out Help, as that's on the menu. (F1?). When I close the program and reload the file, the same "Menu-less" screen comes up.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this problem, but it eludes me. Anyone else run into this? I WILL conquer this program and make an .lrf file to send to my Reader. I've never considered myself computer/software illiterate, but I'm beginning to doubt myself at this point.
AP in NC

Last edited by aphil; 09-10-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: extra word
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #140
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
Had trouble with Harry's BookDesigner tutorial because I didn't realize I needed to update Ver. 4. DUH! Did that and got going again. Until ...

HELP HELP! Somehow while working on the tutorial again, I lost the menu and toolbars at the top of the page. I think I hit the "R" box in the upper left-hand corner of the screen by mistake while editing the example book. I think I've figured out that now I'm in "Reading" mode. But ... how to get back to the editing screen with the Menu and toolbar? So far I've tried CTRL E and Esc with no luck. I can't even check out Help, as that's on the menu. (F1?). When I close the program and reload the file, the same "Menu-less" screen comes up.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this problem, but it eludes me. Anyone else run into this? I WILL conquer this program and make an .lrf file to send to my Reader. I've never considered myself computer/software illiterate, but I'm beginning to doubt myself at this point.
AP in NC
I hate to make you feel foolish, but the answer really is very simple. Just right click in the book and select editor mode from the menu. It's the first item in the menu.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 AM   #141
aphil
Avid Reader
aphil began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Not a reply ... a plea for HELP! .... I've lost my BD menu header and toolbar. Hit the "Reading" mode idon by mistake, I think ... how to get back?

Not sure how to navigate these forums either, so maybe my plea is going to cyberspace. Didn't think I was computer-stupid, but I'm beginning to wonder.
AP in NC
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:29 AM   #142
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Jon has already given you the answer. Right click anywhere in the BD window, and select "editor mode" from the pop-up menu.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil View Post
Not a reply ... a plea for HELP! .... I've lost my BD menu header and toolbar. Hit the "Reading" mode idon by mistake, I think ... how to get back?

Not sure how to navigate these forums either, so maybe my plea is going to cyberspace. Didn't think I was computer-stupid, but I'm beginning to wonder.
AP in NC
So what was my reply? Chopped liver?
Old 09-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #144
lanekko
lanekko doesn't litterlanekko doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500
SPAM REMOVED!

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-11-2007 at 10:15 AM. Reason: SPAM
lanekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #145
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanekko View Post
SPAM
What a rip-off!
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #146
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
Harry:

First thanks for the great BD guide, it really got me started with my own experiments. I have created a few good looking books and they don't have the slow loading TOC problem of html2lrf.

There are two things you may want to include in a new version of the guide:
1. Insert toc into text automatically.
There is no need to manually type in Contents and create the links. Just use "insert toc" or "insert toc(all)" in the menu. A nicely formated TOC is inserted just after the book author. When you make some changes to the titles, just use "delete toc" and then insert it again.

2. On options page of "Make Sony Reader File", there is a drop-down list under misc/toc. Choose "all" instead of "short". It will create a full TOC even two titles are very close to each other, which causes problem some people had discussed in this thread.

- Mark

Last edited by mdhuang; 09-17-2007 at 03:22 PM.
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 PM   #147
phrodod
Enthusiast
phrodod began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhuang View Post
Harry:

First thanks for the great BD guide...

- Mark
I'll second that. In the guide, there's a plea for help converting italics from PG text in a way that doesn't take hours. I've posted a link to a program (GutenMark) that converts PG texts to HTML. See the thread at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14034 for a more complete discussion.

Phrodod
phrodod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #148
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But there is also a simple search/replace in Word we know know of to do the italics.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #149
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But there is also a simple search/replace in Word we know know of to do the italics.
In Word we have to find every single word with _word_ and change every single word. Their programs will find all the words and change them into italic by itself?
Say we have _bad_, _goblin_, _bull_
How can you use replace function if all the words are different. If all 3 words were goblin then yes it would be very easy.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 PM   #150
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
How to use search and replace in Word to change all _words_ to words was explained a while ago in a post by ricdiogo to another thread (Macro help - itals from text). I don't know how to make a link to it--I've pasted it below:

Quote:
Use _(*)_ (wildchars enabled) in the "Find" field. Then place your cursor in the "Replace" field and hit the More/Format/Font and select "Italic". Don't type anything in that field. Then "Replace all".
Then, write _ in the "Find" field (wildchars disabled). Be sure you remove the formatting instructions from the "Replace" field and that you haven't hit space bar in the field. "Replace all".

(Edit: )
If something looks wrong after you did this properly, probably the problem is that one of the _italics was not closed in the *.txt. The number of underscores in the *.txt must be a pair. Please report it to PG using errata (at) pglaf (dot) org email address.

Project Gutenberg
Fine Literature Digitally Re-Published
Last edited by ricdiogo : 08-23-2007 at 09:23 AM.
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote