Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #15841
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Finished up Ransom by David Malouf. What a beautiful interpretation of the last books of The Iliad. Achilles' despondency/atrocity, Priam's grief, shared loss, and storytelling itself are explored in Malouf's wonderful prose. Achilles—shortly after he defeated Hector and began the defilement of his body while the people of Troy looked on:
This is going on my TBR list! Thanks!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #15842
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I am about half done with Angel Fire East by Terry Brooks. It is the third book in the Word & Void series.

Quote:
As a Knight of the Word, John Ross has struggled against the tireless dark forces of the Void for twenty-five years. A rootless wanderer scarred as deeply by the magic he wields as by the unspeakable horrors he has witnessed in its service, Ross is driven by dreams that show the world reduced to blood and ashes by the Void and its minions. The grim futures he dreams each night will come true unless he can stop them now, in the present. But for all his power, John Ross is only one man, while the demons he hunts—and which hunt him in turn—are legion.

Then Ross learns of the birth of a gypsy morph, a rare and dangerous creature formed of wild magics spontaneously knit together. If he can discover its secret, the morph could be an invaluable weapon against the Void. But the Void, too, knows the value of the morph, and will not rest until the creature has been corrupted—or destroyed.

Desperate, Ross returns to the town of Hopewell, Illinois, home of Nest Freemark, a young woman with magical abilities of her own. Twice before, with the fate of the world hanging in the balance, the lives of Ross and Nest have intersected. Together, they have prevailed.

But now they face an ancient evil beyond anything they have ever encountered, for a demon of ruthless intelligence and feral cunning awaits them in Hopewell. As a firestorm of good and evil erupts, threatening to consume lives and shatter dreams, Ross and Nest have but a single chance to solve the mystery of the gypsy morph—and of their own profound connection.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #15843
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
This is going on my TBR list! Thanks!
I hope you enjoy it! This was my first experience with David Malouf... and it certainly won't be my last.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #15844
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I am enjoying Live Free Or Die by John Ringo. I have the others in the trilogy as well.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #15845
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Patricia Briggs & Carolyn Keene (Mildred A Wirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I very much enjoyed reading The Message in the Hollow Oak. But Dana Stabenow's Though Not Dead was just plain extrordinary! Wow!

I enjoyed Though Not Dead so much so that I'm already a good way into Restless In The Grave which is the 19th of the Kate Shugak novels as well as the 5th of the Liam Campbell novels and it's quite engrossing so far.
Restless In The Grave was really good and I also read the 2nd novel in Tom Corbett Omnibus, Danger in Deep Space by Carey Rockwell which was a quite nostalgic and very enjoyable read.

Now on to the 7th Mercy Thompson novel, Frost Burned by Patricia Briggs. I'm also reading the 13th Nancy Drew Mystery, The Mystery of the Ivory Charm.

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #15846
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm currently reading Kenneth Grahame's classic The Wind in the Willows. It's a lot of fun.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #15847
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
I'm currently reading Kenneth Grahame's classic The Wind in the Willows. It's a lot of fun.
Funny thing about WITW it got written because Mr. Grahame's son couldn't go without his bedtime stories about Mr. Toad and his friends. He went on holiday with his nurse and so Mr. Grahame wrote down the stories in letter form so that the nurse could tell the tales to his son. The nurse kept the stories and later they were published as the book we know now.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #15848
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Funny thing about WITW it got written because Mr. Grahame's son couldn't go without his bedtime stories about Mr. Toad and his friends. He went on holiday with his nurse and so Mr. Grahame wrote down the stories in letter form so that the nurse could tell the tales to his son. The nurse kept the stories and later they were published as the book we know now.
Interesting. I didn't know that.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:19 PM   #15849
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'm about 10% into Ready Player One and really enjoying it. It's odd how distant and "historical" the 80's seem nowadays.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #15850
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "Death of a Gossip" by M.C. Beaton; the first book in the "Hamish Macbeth" series. A quick read, but very enjoyable. An odious woman who seems to know the darkest secrets of everyone else is murdered while attending a fishing course in the Scottish Highlands. Everyone wanted her dead, but who actually killed her?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #15851
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Death of a Gossip" by M.C. Beaton; the first book in the "Hamish Macbeth" series. A quick read, but very enjoyable. An odious woman who seems to know the darkest secrets of everyone else is murdered while attending a fishing course in the Scottish Highlands. Everyone wanted her dead, but who actually killed her?
I really enjoy the 'Hamish Macbeth' series. I've read the first four, and look forward to reading more. I've also watched the first season of the TV show and enjoy it as well, but it's so different from the book that it's as if they are about two very different groups of characters. I can't 'see' the TV Hamish as the book's Hamish, though I like them both equally.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #15852
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree; they're very different. Equally good - but very different.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #15853
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Funimation does offer free (and legal) viewing of the second Fullmetal Alchemist series on YouTube, both in the subbed and dubbed versions, if you want to get a head start on watching the series before your edition gets delivered. I've watched the first 10 episodes or so.
I have seen both the first Fullmetal Alchemist series and the second one. At first I preferred the first series (without any spoilers...it has to do with how Maes Hughes was portrayed) but after finishing both shows I like the second one better. I have never read the manga.

I'm back on my plan to read all of the Bible straight through, cover to cover. How to say this tactfully... parts of Leviticus and Numbers make for less than compelling reading.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #15854
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next is The Second Ship, book 1 of the Rho Agenda, by Richard Phillips. I am guessing this is more of a YA title, but it sounds like a decent read and is what I am in the mood for.
Finished that up at lunch and time to move to the next one, Immune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Amazon recommends this to me relentlessly. I've resisted every temptation so far. I would be interested to read what you thought of it.
I am going on to the next one, so I suppose that tells you something.

It is definitely a YA book. It feels somewhat Harry Potter-ish in that it basically follows the protagonists through one year of school and stops right at the end of that year while leaving the story line very open and the main plot lines unresolved. I wouldn't call it hard science fiction since it doesn't attempt to describe how the technology works beyond some background information even though the technology is very prominent. It is a fast read (less than 5 hours for me) and the pacing was good.

All that said, I did enjoy it and will continue on in the series but it probably won't go into my to-be-reread pile.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:43 AM   #15855
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Just started The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce. A slow start so far but I've read that it gets much better once the protagonist embarks on a quest which I'm assuming is going to be a strange one.
Just finished reading it. I loved the author's writing and the way she describes things. The many different characters Harold meets during his journey across the English countryside were very interesting and fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson. Really enjoying it so far.
I've yet to finish this book. I started this one the day after I started The Unlikely Pilgrimage. I usually read two books at once but I couldn't for these. I had to stop and continue after I've finished The Unlikely Pilgrimage because they were so similar and I kept forgetting whether this happened in this book or the other.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote