Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #46
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Well said, montsnmags, and without any finger-pointing. Especially Bravo for that.

eGeezer
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #47
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
What an incredibly ridiculous discussion going on this thread. I can't decide whether to award some type of medal to those posters who are so...intelligent as to never need an occasional reference or to direct the posters who don't know of the nook's built-in dictionary to

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/features/

Oh well, I guess I'll do both. Now, where do I keep my metallurgy equipment?
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #48
llurgy
llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badandy View Post
What an incredibly ridiculous discussion going on this thread. I can't decide whether to award some type of medal to those posters who are so...intelligent as to never need an occasional reference or to direct the posters who don't know of the nook's built-in dictionary to

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/features/

Oh well, I guess I'll do both. Now, where do I keep my metallurgy equipment?
You dont exactly 'need' equipment to practice metallurgy. Metallurgy is the science about the properties and functions of metals.
I didnt even look this up in the dictionary, my hubby is a metallurgist

Mandy
llurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by llurgy View Post
I too am looking for a new ereader WITH an inbuilt dictionary. It is going to be for my 'just' 13 year old daughter. She has just started to really read her way through the young adult books and is coming across vocabulary that she sometimes doesnt know, even when reading it in context she is sometimes still puzzled.
The Sony PRS-600 has a really nice dictionary built in. Just double tap the word and the definition pops up at the bottom of the screen and you can see the full page if you want from there. It is nice and fast too.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #50
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I would like to add my nod to the PRS600's dictionary. With the touch screen it is as easy as touching (twice) the word you want. With others without the touch screen, I imagine that navigating to the word to look up or typing the word is a bit more cumbersome.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #51
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a 505. It works well. So no need to spend the money on a Nook. Besides, I'm waiting to find out about the QUE, The PRS-900, and the DR800SG (sp?).

Me too.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #52
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Well, my apologies if the fact that I don't need a dictionary to hand to read a book insults anybody (which seemingly it does). Also, apologies for perhaps phrasing my opinion (which is all it is) too strongly.

By the way, I did have to look up "obnubilate" tompe.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #53
Badandy
Connoisseur
Badandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blueBadandy can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by llurgy View Post
You dont exactly 'need' equipment to practice metallurgy. Metallurgy is the science about the properties and functions of metals.
I didnt even look this up in the dictionary, my hubby is a metallurgist

Mandy
My apologies to misrepresenting your husband's profession. I do have a question though: I was under the impression metallurgy was involved not just with the studying metals but also with producing and purifying them (which I thought needed some kind of equipment). I haven't used the word much, so I'm obviously not as familiar with it as you are.
Badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #54
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
My apologies to misrepresenting your husband's profession. I do have a question though: I was under the impression metallurgy was involved not just with the studying metals but also with producing and purifying them (which I thought needed some kind of equipment). I haven't used the word much, so I'm obviously not as familiar with it as you are.
If you were reading this on an e-ink device with built in dictionary, you could have looked that up! I would have gotten it wrong if I would have tried to infer the meaning! :b
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #55
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
I just wanted to say that I have a degree in English, work with writing in my job, and I use a dictionary quite often.

Yes, I can infer a word's meaning by context clues, but why just guess? You'll be surprised how many people think they are using a word correctly, but are misinformed. I see that a LOT in business writing.

I think it's silly for people to look down upon those that need a dictionary, no matter the book they are reading.

Even the book "Twilight" was well-known for having quite a lot of SAT words in it.
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #56
TuxGirl
Groupie
TuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the huskTuxGirl can grip it by the husk

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well, proper nouns like the names of birds and fishes won't be in a dictionary anyway (by the way, I'm interested in the fact that you only have problems with the names of birds and fishes and not, say, reptiles or mammals?).

Not sure why you'd find adjectives any more difficult than any other aspect of language.
Lots of proper nouns aren't in dictionaries, true. Came across a few unfamiliar ones while reading some pretty cool scholarly works not too long ago, and was extremely excited to have Wikipedia available to me on my kindle...

As for the dictionary itself, I have always been one to infer the meaning of words from the context. Usually have done it pretty well in the past, too. However, since getting my kindle, I've found that I am learning much more from actually looking up the word in the on-board dictionary than I did from just inferring the meaning. Sometimes, I'm able to get a better idea of where the world comes from. Other times, it's a secondary meaning (not the one used in the sentence that I'm looking at) that catches my interest. And at times, it's just a better understanding of what situations it's likely to be used in.
TuxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #57
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Rather arrogant, that remark.

I wasn't impressed by the Kindles built in dictionary until I started reading more. Thought I knew just about every word or could infer their meanings by use in a sentence.

Read many pd books lately? From Doyle to Christie to Wells, there are many words that haven't been used for decades. Even before my time.

Even in contemporary reading, most of us occasionally run across words we aren't familiar with.

Instead of just ignoring them, we like to know their meanings.
I didn't think I would use the dictionary, either. But it is amazing how many words I skimmed over, and now I know the exact meaning, out of context.

However, no folders, no order.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #58
llurgy
llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.llurgy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
LOL....I was only joking with you, hence the smiley face, and yes, you do produce and purify metals in Metallurgy, but the metallurgy bit is the science, to put the science into practice you need the processing equipment.
My hubby can work with or without the equipment, all he needs is his brain, but then again, his brain is his equipment
Old 10-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #59
llurgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
I just wanted to say that I have a degree in English, work with writing in my job, and I use a dictionary quite often.

Yes, I can infer a word's meaning by context clues, but why just guess? You'll be surprised how many people think they are using a word correctly, but are misinformed. I see that a LOT in business writing.

I think it's silly for people to look down upon those that need a dictionary, no matter the book they are reading.

Even the book "Twilight" was well-known for having quite a lot of SAT words in it.
The Twilight saga's were the books my 13 year old was reading when she found that she needed the dictionary....lol.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #60
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Well, my apologies if the fact that I don't need a dictionary to hand to read a book insults anybody (which seemingly it does). Also, apologies for perhaps phrasing my opinion (which is all it is) too strongly.

By the way, I did have to look up "obnubilate" tompe.
Your opinion is not the issue, you should be apologizing for insisting that a forum member "go back to school" for wanting to look words up in a dictionary. The insult is what people found insulting, not your humongous vocabulary.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote