Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
rceee
rceee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question sigil_split_marker and other CSS definitions; where are they?

First of all, thanks for producing Sigil; top-notch, *outstanding* piece of software that has SAVED my Pages-to-(epub to)-Kindle revision process.

Just wondering, when editing an already produced epub (e.g., exported from Pages or the like), I tried inserting a page split marker, and I get the line

Code:
<hr class="sigil_split_marker" />
Yet no CSS definition for it. No external file was created, no inline CSS was added to the xhtml file I added the line to, and no CSS was added to my externally linked stylesheet for this document (which happens to be ../Styles/book.css). As a side note, using the Create HTML Table of Contents command worked beautifully and *did* create a ../Styles/sgc-toc.css file with the appropriate styles.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
rceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It is an internal class for Sigil. You can use it to split a file into separate files, where the split is at the marker. So, there is no style definition for it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
rceee
rceee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
It is an internal class for Sigil. You can use it to split a file into separate files, where the split is at the marker. So, there is no style definition for it.
Thanks for the tip.

When I saved the epub with that <hr> tag, it didn't split that file. Is this part of a larger series of steps? I guess what I was really looking for, was the answer to the "single page break definition" I've heard an epub can have, that is separate from a chapter break/new file. That is, a Page Break, in word processor terminology. Does this do anything along that line or is it completely different?
rceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Use edit, split at markers.

Page breaks can be inserted as css or style commands. You can check out http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/pr_print_pageba.asp, for one. They don't always work as expected (like what else is new?) And if the page is resized, you end up with a break where you may not want it.

If you gotta have page breaks and are into formatting, you are probably more into PDFs, where everything is fixed, rather than epubs where darn little is fixed, and is designed to reflow based on resizing the page when the user presses the S, M, L button.

From what I understand, not being a Kindle guy, not all of the epub stuff translates especially for the earlier Kindles.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The CSS page-break-(before|after) attributes will be honored when converting an ePub using Kindle(gen|Previewer).

HTML
Code:
<div class="page_break"></div>
CSS
Code:
.page_break {
  page-break-before: always;
}
Most epub readers should honor it (no guarantees), but some readers may not honor the margin-top property assigned to such a page-break element. The technique is often used to give footnotes their own "page" even though all the footnotes are part of one html file.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
sellew
Enthusiast
sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-T2
@rceee, if you just want to split one HTML file into several files (which may coincide with different chapters, or not, that's up to you), after inserting the split markers you must use Edit→Split At Markers.

You can find detailed instructions for this (and all the other Sigil features) in the User guide:
http://web.sigil.googlecode.com/git/...d_merging.html
sellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rceee View Post
First of all, thanks for producing Sigil; top-notch, *outstanding* piece of software that has SAVED my Pages-to-(epub to)-Kindle revision process.

Just wondering, when editing an already produced epub (e.g., exported from Pages or the like), I tried inserting a page split marker, and I get the line

Code:
<hr class="sigil_split_marker" />
Yet no CSS definition for it. No external file was created, no inline CSS was added to the xhtml file I added the line to, and no CSS was added to my externally linked stylesheet for this document (which happens to be ../Styles/book.css). As a side note, using the Create HTML Table of Contents command worked beautifully and *did* create a ../Styles/sgc-toc.css file with the appropriate styles.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
It is used as a Marker for a future Split (which manually launched when you are ready: F6 is the keystroke).

The split marker is also handy when you want to ADD it to the file(s) via a Search and replace for later use.

Typical S&R usage:
Code:
<p class="foo">CHAPTER (\d+)</p>

<hr class="sigil_split_marker" /><h3 class="chapno">CHAPTER \1</h3>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, epub bookmarks, markers, sigil, split