Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
swanson37
swanson37 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Odd Behaviour...

Yesterday I go to turn on my 500 and it won't turn on..I try a few times and the screen stays blank, occasionally flashing something up (far too fast to be read) So I reset the device and nothing happens, finally after much button pushing and head scratching I pull the 1 Gb SD Card out, at which point the screen goes nuts, turning on and off and finally resetting, which I guess implies that all the button pressing was buffered. I turn the device off again and re-insert the card. When I try to turn the device on again, I get the same behavior, it won't run until I pull the SD card. I put the card in my newly acquired 505 and it works fine. So I take another 256Mb card I have with nothing on it and put it in the 500 and it starts. I copy my books on to the 256Mb card and it works. I go to read a book on the card and it opens another book that is one the reader itself. I look and now the card is not recognised, turn off/on and reset don't help, it just doesn't see the card.
This morning I put the card I was using in my 505 (before I swapped in the one from the 500) into the 500 and it works OK, I can open a book on the card, no problems at all. The original card I had in my 500 has worked fine since I got the device (August this year). The only thing I can think of is that prior to the thing going haywire I plugged the 500 into a machine that didn't have the Connect software on and then turned the 500 on.

Any ideas? Should I be trying to send it to Sony for a fix (can I even do that since I am based in Oz and bought the device through BHP)

Cheers
swanson37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you plugged your 500 into the AC adaptor to give it a fresh charge? Sometimes if the battery is too low it act up. Using the memory card does draw more power then without.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2007, 12:59 AM   #3
swanson37
swanson37 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
yeah, that's what I thought it may have been at first, but when I finally got it to turn on the charge showed three blobs..
swanson37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:08 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Go ahead and plug it into the wall and leave it until the charge light goes out, sometimes it gets confused (especially when it's new, and the circuitry may not have fully calibrated properly) as to what a full battery really looks like.

I suggest this just to firmly rule out a low battery. If nothing else, it'll help you know what you're not dealing with.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've found the charge meter to be completely unreliable. The only reliable information you can get about the battery it is full or not. The way you do that is by connecting a charger. If a charging light doesn't come on in the next 5mins, its full.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert