Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle NT
How can I change the type of an ebook to book

I have some books that have Personal Document type. How can change it to book so I can sync the last page read?
Oletros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Convert in Calibre and remove the [PDOC] tag.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Oletros
Connoisseur
Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Oletros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have done this but it recompresses all the images and I was trying to change only that metadata
Old 12-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
You don't have to remove the pdoc to be able to sync last page read. You must however upload the book to the cloud - either per your kindle email or the send-to-kindle pc program. You also need to enable syncing (it is on by default).
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
To only change the metadata, use the Java Mobi Metadata Editor. There, remove the old CDE type header if set and put a new CDE type header EBOK in there. I have not specifically tested this, but I was able to successfully remove various headers from multiple mobis so far. The only caveat: Once I had edited a file's headers, subsequent header edits of that edited file broke the file, so better keep the original, just in case.

BTW, here is a known header list for reference.

This will allow syncing without uploading it to Amazon (where they strip the EBOK CDE type header anyway).

Last edited by Dylan Tomorrow; 12-29-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Dylan Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
wait - won't the paperwhite sync to last page read on side-loaded books? that's what #4 seems to imply, and if so, that totally lets out a PW for me - I side-load everything viaCalibre.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
wait - won't the paperwhite sync to last page read on side-loaded books? that's what #4 seems to imply, and if so, that totally lets out a PW for me - I side-load everything viaCalibre.
If you mean sync to last page read between physical seperated Kindles, then yes, the only way to do that is to use the document storage on the Amazon server. But that is not any different from before the Paperwhite arrived. Calibre does have the option to use email to send your books to your Kindle. If side-loading for you means that you push the books over the usb-cable directly from your computer running calibre to the Paperwhite via the "send to device" option, then you can't sync over whispersync feature between Kindles and Kindle apps. Some see side-loading as ANY means to get non-amazon books onto the Kindle.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #8
Oletros
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Tomorrow View Post
To only change the metadata, use the Java Mobi Metadata Editor. There, remove the old CDE type header if set and put a new CDE type header EBOK in there. I have not specifically tested this, but I was able to successfully remove various headers from multiple mobis so far. The only caveat: Once I had edited a file's headers, subsequent header edits of that edited file broke the file, so better keep the original, just in case.

BTW, here is a known header list for reference.

This will allow syncing without uploading it to Amazon (where they strip the EBOK CDE type header anyway).
Thanks, I will try that

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If you mean sync to last page read between physical seperated Kindles, then yes, the only way to do that is to use the document storage on the Amazon server. But that is not any different from before the Paperwhite arrived. Calibre does have the option to use email to send your books to your Kindle. If side-loading for you means that you push the books over the usb-cable directly from your computer running calibre to the Paperwhite via the "send to device" option, then you can't sync over whispersync feature between Kindles and Kindle apps. Some see side-loading as ANY means to get non-amazon books onto the Kindle.
No, you can sync between devices without uploading to Amazon servers, they sync sending them through the USB
Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
No, you can sync between devices without uploading to Amazon servers, they sync sending them through the USB
Oh well, I am doing something wrong then. I get everything from "unable to retrieve the furthest location read" to not even have syncing to push. When I do have sync and it says uploading last position, then trying to sync it on different device tells me that I am already on last page read (but that is only for that device). The only books that sync for me are the ones that are also on the cloud.

I am done with trying to sync. And really glad I did not get the 3G version of the PW. All books on the Kindle Touch synced nice - but those were incidentally all also on the cloud.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Please explain how.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Please explain how.
Any book that has an "ASIN" defined (Amazon's code which identifies a book) will sync. This can be a book actually bought from Amazon, but copied to your reader via USB, or you can use Calibre to add a "fake" ASIN to any book you wish.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote