Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #1
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Device: PRS500 (great UX and BQ), DR800SG (great screen and features)
Strange flipbar behavior

I'm experiencing weird issue with my DR800SG from the beginning. Sometimes, when i flip a flipbar, reader goes not to the next page, but to the current+2 or +3 or even +5 (that is, if i'm reading page #100, after flipping a flipbar reader may present me page #102 or #103 or #105).
Has anyone experienced such a problem?
penartur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Which way do you have your flipbar setup? The default of flipping right to go to the next page seems to be more reliable than setting it up to flip left. Something in the way the bar is designed. I prefer mine setup left, but have to be a little careful in how I flip it. There are spots that work better than others, IE pressing towards the bottom of the bar doesn't work as consistently as pressing closer to the top/middle.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
penartur
Groupie
penartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the roughpenartur is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Which way do you have your flipbar setup? The default of flipping right to go to the next page seems to be more reliable than setting it up to flip left. Something in the way the bar is designed. I prefer mine setup left, but have to be a little careful in how I flip it. There are spots that work better than others, IE pressing towards the bottom of the bar doesn't work as consistently as pressing closer to the top/middle.
I've tried to configure it in both ways.
Currently, i'm pressing it exactly in the middle; however, i've tried different positions. Will try it again
Old 08-04-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it jumps +5, that's the software doing it. A "long" press of the flipbar will cause the plugin to turn 5 pages. The iLiads used to have an issue where normal presses would erroneously show up to the software as a long press. I haven't seen that problem on the DR800 though.

If it jumps +2 or +3, etc, that's probably the bar not being pressed firmly or in a position that causes it to register funny. The bar tells the app that you hit it twice, three times, etc. Could be a hardware design issue, and it seems to happen more when pressing left. Pressing right doesn't seem to have as much of a problem.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
I have a similar experience with DR800SG, which occurs so often. When I flip, it doesn't go to the next page and just stay in the current page. So I flip again, it goes to the next next page, that is, it turns 2 pages at once. It makes me miss the 'original' next page and do flip back once again. I don't know any of the condition at which it occurs - just any time suddenly. So inconvenient error to use the device.
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2010, 03:04 AM   #6
penartur
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokjeid View Post
I have a similar experience with DR800SG, which occurs so often. When I flip, it doesn't go to the next page and just stay in the current page. So I flip again, it goes to the next next page, that is, it turns 2 pages at once. It makes me miss the 'original' next page and do flip back once again. I don't know any of the condition at which it occurs - just any time suddenly. So inconvenient error to use the device.
It seems you have a different problem - for some reason, it takes so long for irex to draw the next page that you're thinking it missed your flipping.
In my case, it just sometimes turns 2 or 3 pages at once. It never missed my flipping.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #7
penartur
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
If it jumps +5, that's the software doing it. A "long" press of the flipbar will cause the plugin to turn 5 pages.
Yes, i know about this; however, this sometimes occurs to me with short presses as well.
Quote:
If it jumps +2 or +3, etc, that's probably the bar not being pressed firmly or in a position that causes it to register funny. The bar tells the app that you hit it twice, three times, etc. Could be a hardware design issue, and it seems to happen more when pressing left. Pressing right doesn't seem to have as much of a problem.
This is sad, as pressing left seems to be the only convenient way when holding irex with one hand. With pressing right, one should hold irex just to the thin part of the edge... definitely not enough.
I miss PRS500 hardware buttons.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
This is sad, as pressing left seems to be the only convenient way when holding irex with one hand. With pressing right, one should hold irex just to the thin part of the edge... definitely not enough.
I hold it from the bottom, and use my thumb to press the bar either left or right.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #9
bokjeid
Addict
bokjeid began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by penartur View Post
It seems you have a different problem - for some reason, it takes so long for irex to draw the next page that you're thinking it missed your flipping.
In my case, it just sometimes turns 2 or 3 pages at once. It never missed my flipping.
Maybe not exactly the same problem is it, but just another flip bar related problem did I mean. And it's not long page loading time what I indicated in my case. When the problem which I mentioned occurs, the device ACTUALLY doesn't go to the next page EVER, whatever seconds I wait for. I've seen this case so many times, using my DR800SG. At this situation, finally I flip once again, then it turns 2 pages at once, skipping 'the next' page.
bokjeid is offline   Reply With Quote