Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Is anyone going to buy the DR800?

Now that it's listed on Best Buy's website, is anyone going to get one?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
At $449 nope. I know all the benefits of an ereader but at that price I am tempted to get a $800 tablet notebook and take my chances. I want to read PDF manuals and not many books. Don't get me wrong I am a gadget freak and really like the idea of e-readers. I ordered the Nook because the price point is low enough for me to give it a try. I know my wife would use it. So hopefully Irex reads this stuff and will correct the pricing.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have one on order. I almost bought the DR1000S when it first came out, but I held out for the WiFi version that never arrived. I wish the DR800SG included a web browser (and WiFi), and I am concerned that iRex may still not understand power issues, but overall this still seems the best device out there (at least on paper).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Why would I buy a smaller reader? Oh, and looking at Best Buy's site, it's already backordered, somebody ordered them!
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
8" is the best fit for carry.
I am not sure Best Buy made some mistake on that price or it is increased.
The comparison matrix from IREX shows $399.
http://www.irexreader.com/pdf/IREX-c...on-readers.pdf
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 AM   #6
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
8" is the best fit for carry.
I carry a satchel (notebook, ipod, etc.) most everywhere anyway.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
It would have a lot going for it if it worked in Europe.
I like the 8" format for general reading. I find 6" a bit limiting and the DR1000 too big for gerneral reading. I'd like the wifi and or 3G connection to get books without being tied to a computer. I like the annotation ability in the DR and as I am certain the DR800 will be based on the same platform, I am assuming the Xournal can be ported which is a far more useful app than the companion software that comes with the DR1000 which is no use to Mac owners and doesn't work very well on Windows.
So I would consider it, however, as I have a DR1000 & Sony 505, I think it prudent to see how things develop and see what format develops for a single e-book reading experience. The present DRM debacle is confusing for newcomers and even ourselves as the wording of what works with what and how is a nightmare. B&N with a book share feature would be a more realistic way forward in my view, but that sounds like yet another format...

Howard
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
Why would I buy a smaller reader? Oh, and looking at Best Buy's site, it's already backordered, somebody ordered them!
I suspect that Best Buy hasn't started shipping them out yet, which is probably why they are calling them "backordered".
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
I am not sure Best Buy made some mistake on that price or it is increased.
The comparison matrix from IREX shows $399.
iRex's MSRP is $399. Retailers don't always follow the MSRP, especially when one store has exclusive rights to sell a product. There is no competition from other stores for them to keep the price down.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:07 PM   #10
Bert
Enthusiast
Bert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with othersBert plays well with others

Device: iRex iLiad, PRS-600
I'd buy one immediately, but I can't. I broke my iLiad several weeks ago, and I really miss it. But repairing it costs €275, which is almost as much as a new DR800.

I'm from Europe, and like most other ebook reader manufacturers iRex doesn't sell its new reader in Europe for several months (if at all). Importing one from the US seems difficult, because Best Buy doesn't ship to Europe, and doesn't even want to ship to freight forwarders.
If there were any other 8" devices available over here, I'd probably buy that one, just out of annoyance.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
dek
Enthusiast
dek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600, iPod touch
It would have been a difficult question if the price was not revealed at BestBuy.

Even with the price of $399, I couldn't make a final decision. DR800SG has a larger screen with touch screen, but no note taking yet. Sony PRS-900 will have a notetaking feature, but has a smaller screen. Kindle DX has much larger screen, but no touch screen. PlasticLogic is very attractive, but so much delayed...

Now, with the price of $449, my answer is NO. I am more interested in Sony PRS-900 or PlasticLogic. I also hope that Kindle DX has a touch screen with international access.
dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
My biggest hesitation with the iRex is the need to use the stylus. I plan to check it out, along with the Nook, when it becomes available at my local Best Buy. So, no, I'm not preordering, but I am open to buying it. But if I had to place a bet today, I'd bet that I'll end up with either the Sony Daily Edition (which I also need to handle before buying) or the Nook.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #13
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I was on the fence at $399, but it sounded like just what I needed for my college passworded textbooks. However, at $449, no way. I feel like they are just trying to milk it, so I'll pass. At some point a better reader will come along, or the price will drop.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #14
dek
Enthusiast
dek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600, iPod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
iRex's MSRP is $399. Retailers don't always follow the MSRP, especially when one store has exclusive rights to sell a product. There is no competition from other stores for them to keep the price down.

I don't know whether the price in the chart is MSRP (http://www.irexreader.com/pdf/IREX-c...on-readers.pdf). Even so, the prices of other products in the chart are the ones for customers. Kindle is sold by one vendor (Amazon) which has exclusive rights. Kindle 2 even has a lower price now than the one in the chart.

In sum, I don't see any justification for the price increase by BestBuy or iRex...
dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dek View Post
I don't know whether the price in the chart is MSRP (http://www.irexreader.com/pdf/IREX-c...on-readers.pdf).
If you look at the original press release, iRex specifically says the MSRP is $399.

Quote:
Kindle is sold by one vendor (Amazon) which has exclusive rights.
In that example, the Manufacturer is also the Retailer. So there's no reason the MSRP and retail price would be any different. The same company is setting both.

For all I know, iRex really did raise the wholesale price recently. I'm just speculating about BestBuy setting their price above the MSRP, but it would kind of make sense.