Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 AM   #166
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And for someone who has this problem: If you set a bookmark by pressing the top right corner, is it on the right page when you come back? If you bookmark the page and close the book, what happens to the bookmark and the page you reopen to?
I tried this with the Blindsight epub (as downloaded from Feedbooks, not edited in any way): I open the book and use the arrows to advance, then a few page turns to reach page 160 (the Einstein quote at the top of the page). I set a bookmark and close the book by going to the home screen. Then I open the book by tapping on its cover on the home screen, and the page number at the bottom of the page shows 160, but it has actually opened to page 158. I turn a few pages to get to page 160 and the bookmark is exactly where I put it.

I repeated this a few times: Open book, set bookmark, close book. Reopen book, set bookmark, close book. I don't turn any pages, but the result is a series of bookmarks on page 160, 158, 155, etc. So the bookmarks work fine, it is just opening the book at the wrong page.

Edit: When I go to the annotations menu for this book, all the bookmarks are listed as "0% into chapter", which is incorrect. When I select "show on page" for a bookmark it takes me to the wrong page, a few pages before the bookmark. So the bookmarks are all located on the page I put them on, but going to the bookmark suffers the same problem as opening the book, the wrong page.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-21-2012 at 01:08 AM.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #167
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Regarding testing... We've gone over this before with v2.0.0+. Kobo seems completely content to keep passing us half-assed firmware and unable or unwilling to change their beta testers or at least open up the beta testing to the public for those of us who want to willingly beta test as opposed to their current testing model.
You can ask. I asked a couple a months before (I PM to a member in this forum as some OP suggested and I went into the group).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
You open an ePub, read a few pages, hit the homescreen button (on the Touch), then reopen the book - wrong page. Everytime with every single ePub I've tested.

It's a bug, not a user failure...

And I'm not the only person with this problem, so I can't really believe that it couldn't be reproduced.
If you are able to reproduce it in my Kobo... it never happens, neither the problem with the sleep cover, and automatically change the sleep cover when I finish a book, going to the next REALLY read, not the mixed dates you have for ordering.

So, no easy solution. I have the problem with the moving into chapters, either, but...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #168
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I don't have either book (I do have "A Civil Campaign" in paperback), so David Weber's "On Basilisk Station" sounds like a good test (but I really have to read it someday). I have my Touch and Glo sitting next to each other, one upside down, and just tapping the screen like you are. I haven't gotten all the way through yet, but haven't had the problem.

What did occur to me is that I use a smallish font size. So, I upped it by two steps on each device. And it could be font related. I user Georgia, size is 17 on the Touch and 23 on the Glo and the margins and line spacing are at the minimum. I could see the font and size affecting this. What are you using?
I've used Century Schoolbook, Charis SIL and Georgia (two added fonts, one built in) and it has happened with all three. Line spacing and margins are set to their minimums. Font size on the Glo is 28. I could kidnap the Touch back from my daughter so I could be more exact but will settle for saying she uses a font size about 3 steps smaller than I would use.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #169
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've used Century Schoolbook, Charis SIL and Georgia (two added fonts, one built in) and it has happened with all three. Line spacing and margins are set to their minimums. Font size on the Glo is 28.
I went through "On Basilisk Station" at least twice on both devices. For one pass on the Glo, I changed to Caecillia and the size is probably about 28.
Quote:
I could kidnap the Touch back from my daughter so I could be more exact but will settle for saying she uses a font size about 3 steps smaller than I would use.
Why do I have the feeling that if you tried to get the Touch from your daughter, that you would come out of it worse?

She is probably using 16 or 17 on the Touch. That looks about the same as 23 or 24 on the Glo.

This and the reopening position are bugging me. It feels like we are running different versions. There is a slight possibility the firmware didn't apply properly. Doing a manual install over the current firmware for a device that isn't working might be an idea. That would be safe and can always be fixed with a factory reset.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #170
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I went through "On Basilisk Station" at least twice on both devices. For one pass on the Glo, I changed to Caecillia and the size is probably about 28.

Why do I have the feeling that if you tried to get the Touch from your daughter, that you would come out of it worse?

She is probably using 16 or 17 on the Touch. That looks about the same as 23 or 24 on the Glo.

This and the reopening position are bugging me. It feels like we are running different versions. There is a slight possibility the firmware didn't apply properly. Doing a manual install over the current firmware for a device that isn't working might be an idea. That would be safe and can always be fixed with a factory reset.
That's why I guestimated the font size. Colour me yellow. Anyhow, moving on to re-reading the 500 Kingdoms series and took a couple of photos of the screen when the glitch happened. Hopefully, I can attach them here though taking pictures by the light of a fluorescent lamp doesn't give the greatest results.

So far, I've found changing font or font size triggers the return to the correct font size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini_1.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	98024   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini_2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	98025  

Last edited by DNSB; 12-21-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Attach correct files.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 AM   #171
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetMan View Post
I have Kindle and Kobo .. but I think Kobo has to reach out and get some Hi-Tech engineers on board to compete with Kindle and others.. but as far as reading a book, I like the Kobo the best.. but as far software etc.. they need to STEP IT UP.. they need to hire some better engineers.. maybe some ex Apple, Google or Microsoft folks.. what ya think?
Yep, my Sony 650 is a workhorse and does a very good job with annotations and highlighting and constancy of firmware. Also of course the PRS + enhancement is just the icing on the cake.

I've owned the Glo for a week now and my first impression has yet to change - it feels cheap with not much depth to it's firmware.

There's only intermittent results with annotations and highlighting - they just disappear, and sometimes some of them come back. The font changing itself problems with this new update, and page rendering issues as well are some of the issues.

The fact that is is lit is the only plus for me, because I need to use 2 book lights (one on either side) to enjoy reading on the Sony in a lot of indoor lighting situations.

But - one would expect Sony to get it right because they are a company that has been working in computers and software/hardware technology for years. Kobo is new to the hardware/software line and it shows, eh!
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:07 AM   #172
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
But it does return to the right page. Or at least that is how I interpret some of the reports. The problem is the definition of page.

And for someone who has this problem: If you set a bookmark by pressing the top right corner, is it on the right page when you come back? If you bookmark the page and close the book, what happens to the bookmark and the page you reopen to?
Okay, I tried this - I set a dog ear bookmark on page 38 of a book, and then exited via the house emblem, top let of the screen.

I waited maybe 30 seconds and then opened the book again and it opened at another page 38, there are 2 page 38's, and the page that I dog eared was on the second page 38. I tried this at another page location, and the result was repeated.

So, it seems that in my case that the font I'm using, Georgia, which was the font that was preset by the Kobo (and book itself?) and the size - maybe 11 - means that there are two Kobo pages to one book page.

That would explain why the dog eared page opens on the first of the 2 pages.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:19 AM   #173
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
The bookmark is on the correct page, but I'm one page (or tap) before that bookmark.

So the easy way to work around the problem is to set a bookmark and turn the pages until you reach it. Not very satisfying but at least not as annoying as trying to find out where you left off if you don't set a bookmark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If you are able to reproduce it in my Kobo... it never happens, neither the problem with the sleep cover, and automatically change the sleep cover when I finish a book, going to the next REALLY read, not the mixed dates you have for ordering.
What I was trying to say is that Kobo knows they have different hardware configurations and they should at least have a model of each to test the problems with.

And if that was the case, they should be able to reproduce the problems and bugs somehow.

I was already aware that different Kobos have certain problems others don't have before Kobo officially confirmed that. For example I had a zone that was dead to taps with firmware... 1.9.17, I think... I know of one other person who had the same problem. And still her Kobo reacts not completely like mine and has problems which my Kobo never had.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #174
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
That's kinda like saying that the navigation on the Titanic was spot-on.
Hey, halfway across the atlantic without a single problem, how good is that
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:57 AM   #175
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Okay, I tried this - I set a dog ear bookmark on page 38 of a book, and then exited via the house emblem, top let of the screen.

I waited maybe 30 seconds and then opened the book again and it opened at another page 38, there are 2 page 38's, and the page that I dog eared was on the second page 38. I tried this at another page location, and the result was repeated.

So, it seems that in my case that the font I'm using, Georgia, which was the font that was preset by the Kobo (and book itself?) and the size - maybe 11 - means that there are two Kobo pages to one book page.

That would explain why the dog eared page opens on the first of the 2 pages.
Same effect here on my Glo.

My book is epub format, DRM removed by myself. Not a big issue as I don't tend to travel back and fore to the home-page on a regular basis, but a clear (to me) bug in the Kobo software.
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 AM   #176
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lynx-Lynx, Jaden,

That is very interesting. I would have expected that the same code was used to generate bookmark and the current reading position and put them back. But now I want a copy of a database to look at. Or the rows from it for the book and the bookmark. Anyone willing to send me a copy?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #177
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
. But in more controlled conditions where I know nothing touched the screen, reopening a book has never gone to the wrong page.
Wrong page EVERY time here.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:31 AM   #178
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Just noticed my Touch has decided to show no covers at all. In sleep and in power off mode, the last couple of times, it has showed a blank screen (well just a sleepy kobo face on a graphic of the Kobo) with large text saying Sleep mode or Power off etc.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:47 AM   #179
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Wrong page EVERY time here.
Well at least it is consistent Is it always out by the same amount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Just noticed my Touch has decided to show no covers at all. In sleep and in power off mode, the last couple of times, it has showed a blank screen (well just a sleepy kobo face on a graphic of the Kobo) with large text saying Sleep mode or Power off etc.
I looked at the details page for a few books today and found the default text cover was used. This is simply the book title and type. The sleep and power off cover has been right so far.

Last edited by davidfor; 12-21-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #180
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkodk View Post
Thank you for clarifying Mrs_Often!

And a BIG thank you for this tip!
As it happens I am actually on Mac OS X. If you had not pointed this out, I probably would have walked right into that trap.
Great, glad I could help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
Also, I never noticed this before, perhaps it's always like this, but if page numbers in margins is enabled, it messes up text...

Attachment 97996
I don't really understand the function of this side-margin page number. It seems to only be for epubs... but, the page numbers the Kobo puts at the bottom of the page seem to work the same way... For me at least, the side margin and bottom margin page numbers are always the same...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote