Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #106
AwesomeM
AwesomeM began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 nonTouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
*facepalm*

Assuming diags, mmcblk0p1 & the userstore are mounted:

Code:
rm -rf /mnt/us/screensaver
rm -rf /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600×800
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600×800.alt /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600×800
(Which is more or less what the uninstall instructions said, so, yay for reading 'till the end?).

Reboot, then refrain from installing something you don't actually understand. (Hint.).
Now I got what you meant, but I already tried to do the steps you wrote down or these from the tutorial in german. This is what comes out:

Quote:
login as: root
root@192.168.15.244's password:
Access denied
root@192.168.15.244's password:
#################################################
# N O T I C E * N O T I C E * N O T I C E #
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# rm -rf /mnt/us/screensaver
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# rm -rf /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x8
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]# mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.a
lt /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
mv: can't rename '/mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.alt': No such file or directory
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]#

Seems to me like the third step is not possible because 600x800.alt is missing. What to do now? Oh and something else I noticed right now, copy and paste dont function very well in PuTTY, x turns to ? when doing so, I hope that this not the problem.
AwesomeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #107
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@AwesomeM: Means you forgot to do a backup during the install.

Enjoy doing a full debrick .

EDIT: Before rebooting, do recreate the default folder though, and put at least one correct file in there, or shit will happen.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #108
AwesomeM

Come on NiLuJe, is there nothing that can be done without such a terrifiyng step? There is nothing broke exepct the one folder that is missing.

Is doing a debrick risky & complicated? I really dont have that much knowledge...

edit:
Look and there is sill this point I dont get. The blank standby screen is there since I added new picture to the folder and disconected the kindle just to early. AFTER this I tried to do a new de/installation of the hack. But the problem stayed the same, so I cant have bricked my device.

Last edited by AwesomeM; 10-30-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #109
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@AwesomeM: Not necessarily. Extracting the default screensavers from a full rootfs dump to restore them should be enough, but since you apparently failed to follow simple instructions in the first place, there's no telling what other kind of mess might be lurking around. Hence the Big eFfing Gun solution: clean slate .

As for your question: it's truly a hack in the purest sense of the term. The framework handles it very, very badly at the first sign of stuff it doesn't like. It's known to cause a pile of weird shit to happen when stuff goes wrong. (Hence my personal crusade against it, and why I might seem a bit pissed to you ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #110
AwesomeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@AwesomeM: Means you forgot to do a backup during the install.

Enjoy doing a full debrick .

EDIT: Before rebooting, do recreate the default folder though, and put at least one correct file in there, or shit will happen.
Before rebooting after what step? The debricking step is out of my range of knowledge I think. But if you mean that I could try to restart my kindle after the disabling of the hack, there is still no point because I created this default folder and it is everytime empty. When I put in a original file like "01N.png" it stays in there but the white standby screens stays as it was before.

edit: Wait a moment. I find it difficult to understand everything you say. I think you mean that debricking is not neccesary, god. But how do I extract the default screensavers from a full rootfs dump?

Last edited by AwesomeM; 10-30-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Advert
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #111
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@AwesomeM: I meant before rebooting from diags after the few rm commands.

As to why go the whole debrick route: since you're obviously lost at the first hint of a CLI, I don't feel particularly inclined to hand-hold you through the whole 'extract some stuff from a backup and restore' thing (And, as I said previously, there's no telling that it's the only issue on your device). At least the debricking stuff is fairly well documented in a bunch of different ways, and given its track record, is apparently clear enough, even for CLI impaired people .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #112
AwesomeM

I dont know why you are pissed on me. There wasnt realy something that I have done to "broke" the kindle. Everything I ask is how can I manage this problem. Please NiLuJe give me some help.

Here are the points I already know.
-The Backup that I should have is lost, because of an HDD crash two months ago.
-I really need your help because like you already said I am lost at the first hint of a "CLI" Wtf ist that?
-Oh and the screensaverissue IS the only thing that doesnt function. Its just about so far I know the missing of some folders that dont allow me to update or to recreate the normal status.

Last edited by AwesomeM; 10-30-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #113
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@AwesomeM: Not at you particularly, just tired of this popping up over and again. Don't follow stuff blindly without understanding the implications... :/.

Since you don't have any backups, on device or otherwise, you're left with few solutions, of which a full debrick will probably be the easiest/safest and most likely to actually help.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #114
AwesomeM

Ok If got your point. I can deeply understand how much of a pain in the ass it is when every second thread is about something that someone could avoid easy just by beeing more caution about what one is doing. I prommise you I will never ever do this again in my whole life. Look I think that I am sitting here now whole 6 hours and there is no end.
I dont think that I like to spend my time more often like this, so I promisse you I will be carefully next time.

Ok. So you mean debricking would be the best way and you already sayd that it is well documented. I dont think that I am able to do this, but I am very good at following orders
Old 10-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #115
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@AwesomeM: Hang on.

Just writing about it made me realize that it's actually taking me more time to rant about it than to do something useful to fix it.

So, I'm working on a simple update package that should exterminate those crappy hacks, and restore the 4.0.x screensavers.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #116
AwesomeM

Im proud of you. Not because you write such a package (this is something I am very thankfull for ) but I like this type of thinking.

How long do you think that will take?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #117
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Here goes.

As always, assumes a JailBroken Kindle. Put the .bin file on the root of your Kindle's USB drive, eject & unplug, then run via the 'Update Your Kindle' link in the Settings page's Menu, not by rebooting.
Only run on a device running FW 4.0.x. (Unless I messed up, it shouldn't even run on 4.1 anyway, but, still).

Might not cleanup every crappy hack out there, bit it takes care of at least three, and at the very least should allow a clean update to 4.1. Worst case scenario, you've got a backup folder left on the rootfs and/or a now useless folder in the userstore.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #118
AwesomeM

There two things that I like to take care of.
1. Restoring functionality.
2. Going on 4.1.

Do you mean with Jailbroken, maybe this: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle4NTHacking. I have done this in the past hours, the file named "you are jailbroke" or something like that apeared also.

What do I do then with your file? Send it to my kindle-mail maybe?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #119
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@AwesomeM: Good, at least it's jailbroken.

It's an update package, so, the usual way: put the .bin file in the root of your Kindle's USB drive, eject & unplug, and click on the 'Update Your Kindle' link in the Settings page's Menu.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #120
AwesomeM

and what is with the "src & build" folder?