Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #46
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hey,

my brightness sensor doesn't work anymore - did anyone else notice that? Do I have a particular problem or did they mess something up?

Thanks!

Edit: Forget it. I'm rolling back to an older SD image.

Last edited by hieronymos; 03-03-2012 at 12:38 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #47
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
my brightness sensor doesn't work anymore - did anyone else notice that? Do I have a particular problem or did they mess something up?
Interesting. I was just reading a book in Aldiko and when I switched from night mode I was using last night, I went to adjust the brightness up, but the slider was unresponsive, as it is quite often. However, it went to automatic, so I just left it, being prepared to see the screen brightness fluctuate wildly, like it usually does. But it didn't fluctuate, even when I put my thumb over where I believe the sensor is (to the right of the indicator light). I wonder if the sensitivity has been reduced, because it used to fluctuate all over the place whenever I moved the device while reading.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #48
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

My sensor didn't work at all. Nothing to do, no 'strange behaviour', just not working.

I took out the SD and went back to an old backup. And it's working again.

Last edited by hieronymos; 03-03-2012 at 03:06 PM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #49
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
This update has really motivated me to make a system backup of this type. I just ordered an 8gb card so I can clone my existing setup and in the event of a future meltdown, open up the vox and swap the cards. I don't want to get forced into an upgrade to this or a future kobo update.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #50
sbrick
sbrick began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
I've been trying to root (since march 2 update) and I seem to be stuck at the step where I am supposed to install the driver from adb. Windows automatically loads the plug and play drivers. I have tried to manually install the driver within the device manager with no luck. Anybody have any advice? ps I'm running win7.
thanks
sbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #51
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Not Happy!

Well, as much as I hate to say it, I'm not at all happy with this so-called upgrade. SOD was NOT fixed on my Vox. To be clear, when wifi is on, I can sleep the Vox O.K. When wifi is off, it'll sleep for a short time period (minutes) and awake O.K. but anything close to 30 minutes to an hour and I need to hard reset. This is a pain! The recommended reading widget is a nuisance - adds nothing to my Vox. My son just brought his Playbook with OS 2.0 and I'd trade 3 Vox's for a Playbook.

Also, as someone said earlier in this post, sensitivity seems to have deteriorated. Frequent attempts to "unlock" are required to get started. Frankly, I'm a little pissed with what was delivered.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #52
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
Oh, I'm not rooted, never have been.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #53
farside268
farside268 began at the beginning.

Has anyone else had trouble rooting with SuperOneClick on Linux? If I use the regular root command, it hangs on Waitfordevice. If I use shell root, it hangs on push busybox. I'm running superoneclick with mono on linux mint 10 (ubuntu maverick).
farside268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #54
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside268 View Post
Has anyone else had trouble rooting with SuperOneClick on Linux? If I use the regular root command, it hangs on Waitfordevice. If I use shell root, it hangs on push busybox. I'm running superoneclick with mono on linux mint 10 (ubuntu maverick).
I rooted mine with zergrush v4, no problems what-so-ever!

Btw, I also have tested OogleVox against the latest version and there is no problems. Plus, I've released a newer version of OogleVox that automatically restarts and gives indication as to what's going on, so everybody should use that instead going forward. Here is the link to the thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169942
Enjoy the new version! PS, so far it appears that the screen light-up has been fixed, which really has affected the battery life in a VERY positive way

Way to go Kobo team!
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:36 PM   #55
farside268
farside268 began at the beginning.

Everything is working for me until I try to use root access in any apps. Every time I try to use something that requires root, such as ES File Explorer root access, Titanium Backup, or Oogle Vox, I'm told that superuser access is denied
farside268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #56
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
I rooted mine with zergrush v4, no problems what-so-ever!
Can you give a bit of incite of how to go about this? I downloaded Zergrush, but it dosn't seem to be able to find my device. I'm pretty sure it's a USB driver issue, but I can't seem to update the driver as per the instructions on page one of this post. Any help would be appreciated, as I had become used to using my Vox the way I want, and not the way Kobo wants me to

Cheers
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #57
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
Can you give a bit of incite of how to go about this? I downloaded Zergrush, but it dosn't seem to be able to find my device. I'm pretty sure it's a USB driver issue, but I can't seem to update the driver as per the instructions on page one of this post. Any help would be appreciated, as I had become used to using my Vox the way I want, and not the way Kobo wants me to

Cheers
I've created a little bit of a package, and here are some instructions:

1) Download the package ZergRush-forKobo.zip
2) Extract the files from the package
3) Make a new folder in your user profile ( %USERPROFILE% ) and call it .android
4) Copy the file adb_usb.ini to the new .android folder
5) On the Kobo: Turn on USB Debugging under the development options
6) Connect the Kobo to the Windows PC
7) Go into Device Manager, and double-click on the K080 device, it should be listed under unknown. Choose "Update Driver" and pick "Let me choose a driver for this device", point it to the usb_driver package (in my instance I extracted the package to C:\temp, so my full path name was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver ). A list of devices will appear, choose ADB Interface
8) Restart the computer
9) Open up the zergrush runme.bat script and let it do it's magic, in my instance it was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush\runme.bat
10) Install OogleVox
11) Donate!

haha, had to throw in that last one I've spent more time with Kobo and MobileRead forums in the last 24 hours than I have with my partner!

Last edited by danifunker; 03-11-2012 at 12:19 PM.
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 PM   #58
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure about anyone else, but had a hard timefigguring out how to get past the USB driver step. I tried on two computers now, one with win7 x64 and one with win7 x32. The x64 bit one would give an error every time I chose the android_winusb file, but the x32 one finally worked. Anyone confused about the steps in Device Manager should take a look at this video and scroll to 2:25 and watch from there. Finally got my Root back! Danifunker, I can't thank you enough!

Last edited by Kboland; 03-04-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #59
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
PS, so far it appears that the screen light-up has been fixed, which really has affected the battery life in a VERY positive way
I take it you mean the "wake from sleep" problem? (as opposed to sleep of death) I think it's hilarious (ie: ridiculous) that everyone has a different experience with these frigging updates. "Fixes sleep of death but not wake from sleep". "Does not fix sleep of death". "Fixes wake from sleep".

mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #60
Kboland
Zealot

My wake from sleep is most definitely not fixed. Not sure about SOD yet though.