Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-21-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
hsiddharta
hsiddharta began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Onyx Boox and protected pdf

Hello,
I have a problem with a protected pdf. I just bought an ebook to read it on my Onyx Boox 60 which is supposed to be supported and support adobe digital editions.
On my PC, I can read the book on ADE: everythings fine.
I can copy the book to the Onyx Boox 60 from ADE interface, but when I want to read it on the e-book:
I get the following error message:

Cannot open the document.
E_ADEPT_NO_VALID_LICENSE

I do have authorized both my PC and boox.
Then I deleted the pdf files on my boox, and when I tried to re-copy the files from PC (using ADE), I get the following error:
No permission to copy document here

Has any one get idea how to solve this problem? I suspect this is related to proper authorizing my boox, but I don't know how to do it.

Thanks in advance,
hans
hsiddharta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
HNW
HNW began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Hello Hsiddharta,

I have exactly the same problem with my Boox. Have you already found a solution?

Thanks in advance,
Harald
HNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
hsiddharta

Dear Harald,

No advices nor responses leading to solution. Therefore I finally took an un-elegant solution.
I stripped the DRM from the protected pdf. Since I bought the ebook, and I didn't distribute the file, I hope I did not break any rules :-)

regards
hans
Old 05-31-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
HNW

Dear Hans,

Thanks for the prompt reply, I will follow your way! Just for my understanding, that means that we will not be able to read any pdf with DRM without problems? Or do you think the problem is related to any special pdf or ebook seller or something similar?

Harald
Old 05-31-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
hsiddharta

Dear Harald,

I really don't know about this because that was my first experience, and I haven't bought other protected pdf yet. I believe this is something related to ADE (DRM in pdf) and Onyx communication. Once they can fix the issue, then everything will be OK; but I don't know, I am just a user here :-)

regards
hans
Old 05-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
I'm able to read pdf's downloaded from the library with no problem on my boox. So it definitely doesn't affect all protected pdf's.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Same here: no problems with protected PDFs from the library on my Boox.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
HNW

Thanks for the feedback. I went for Hans´s solution to strip DRM. At least I able to read the books now!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:26 AM   #9
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

Device: Onyx Boox 60, iPad
Hello

I had a very similar experience to yours. I contacted the firm that sold me the book (The Book Depository) who got back to me almost immediately. It seems that this is a known problem with ADE - and I have since found other users talking about it on the web. The message from the Book Depository suggested I look at this thread on the Adobe Help forum.

For me, this did not work, as ADE does not seem to recognize the command Cmd/Shift/E, which is supposed to allow you to de-authorize the Book. However, this may have something to do with my using a French keyboard on a Mac. If you are on a PC you may get it to work.

Since then I have been looking into stripping the DRM; unfortunately I am unable to install any of the required programs. I am in a passage full of little twisty error messages, all the same.
TimMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
Serif
metempsychosis
Serif began at the beginning.

Device: number 9, number 9...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMason View Post
For me, this did not work, as ADE does not seem to recognize the command Cmd/Shift/E, which is supposed to allow you to de-authorize the Book. However, this may have something to do with my using a French keyboard on a Mac. If you are on a PC you may get it to work.
I do have a MacBook with a French keyboard, but I seem to remember that it worked. If not, can't you try to change the keyboard mapping on the System panel (International menu) just for this? That way I remember it did work for me. The E key is at the same place in the AZERTY and in the QWERTY layout. Just my two cents

(this said, some combos simply won't work on OS X with that keyboard, which is still a mystery :O)

I have another error to signal:

Cannot open the document. Load Error.

Yet I authorised the Boox, unauthorised it, reauthorised, copied the files into another location and resetted the unit, and it's still giving me this message. UHM. (Plus it seem not to recognise the metadata, now that I think about it.)

Last edited by Serif; 06-12-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Serif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
TimMason
Big Ears
TimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it isTimMason knows what time it is

I think I've found out why it doesn't work: according to this thread, if ADE does not recognize the keystrokes, it may be because the reader is not authorized - even though you think it is. So you have to go into 'manifest.xml' and edit the device out, and then authorize it again (see thread before doing this). Unfortunately, on Macs the device registration does not appear to go through 'manifest.xml', so the problem remains. Anyone with this problem needs to find out how OSX stores ADE device scripts. So far, I haven't found out.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
There is a member here on Mobile Read named Jim Lester who works for ADE support. Send him a private message. Im sure he can get this fixed for you . He has helped int he past with other ADE issues.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
TimMason
Big Ears

Thanks for the suggestion. I've already encountered Jim Lester on the Adobe form, and he is indeed very helpful.

However, I think the only step left is to sweep ADE out and reinstall, then reset the Boox before trying to get them to talk to each other again. I have to say that the episode has set me against ever purchasing DRM crippled books again. Just imagine if you had to go through this every time you bought a paper-back!