Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Pengo
Pengo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PRS-505 in Canada - best deal?

Hi,

I was going to buy a prs-700 a while back but, after seeing some reviews, it doesn't seem worth the extra cost for a worse screen (though the extra speed and memory would be ok).
It appears that the prs-505 is at least $100 less.

The Sony Canada site prices have gone up for all models recently
The 505 was $300, now showing $350.

It looks as though I missed out on the Expansys refurb deal - as they now seem to have no stock.

Ncix.com has the silver or red 505 on for $279, and the lighted cover for about $60.
Is this the best deal in Canada right now?
Also, the dark blue model doesn't seem to be available anywhere in Canada?

Will Plastic Logic be releasing something this year? Will the Astak 9.7" model be released soon?

Is it worth waiting to see what the prices will be for those new models or if they will drive the prices down for older models like the 505?
It seems like the prices are going up, not down for these things.

Any input for deals in Canada appreciated.

Edit: maybe this belongs in the Which One Should I Buy area?

Last edited by Pengo; 02-17-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Interesting. I've bought 2 PRS-505s at a physical Sony Style store in the past 6 weeks - one just last Friday. Both of them were only $299.99. I don't know why they are selling for $50 more online. In the store, here in Burlington, Ontario (yes, I know that my profile says Toronto - but nobody outside of the area has a clue where Burlington is...), they are (or very recently were) still at the lower price.

The other thing I find slightly odd is that the sale person I talked to the first time told me that, in Canada at least, they are only sold in the Sony Style stores. So, either he was misinformed, not telling me the truth, or there's something else going on with nix.com. In any case, I just looked at that site, and they're now listing at $349.99 there.

I suppose it's conceivable that prices went up by $50 in the past 4 days?

Last edited by JasonB; 02-17-2009 at 11:05 PM.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
Pengo

Well, I just noticed today that the price had gone up at the Sony Style Canada website and also at the ncix site. It was $299 just a day or two ago. I don't know if they have done this at the physical stores but it seems likely.
Maybe they're reflecting the beating the Canadian dollar has been taking.

Ncix had a sale price of 279.99 up until 11pm (Pacific Time?) tonight. I'll be watching to see if the 505 is in their next sale.

Incidentally, did you happen to notice if they had any blue 505's at the physical store? (and have you seen the 700's screen to compare?).
Old 02-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
Dell.ca has the silver PRS-505 listed at 279$ (canadian dollars) with free shipping. It says out of stock at the moment so you'll have to wait longer but if you order it now, you'll get it at that price. For some reason, the red one is listed at 299$.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Anthuzad
Jester
Anthuzad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS 700
I'm also looking for a sony PRS 700 for about 400CAD. I'm going to Canada on March 18th and am extremely pissed to see that they upped the prices... I already sold my prs 505 to pay for my new 700 and it would've worked like a charm because I got so much out of my 505 in € to cover the 700. Now it comes in at an extra 40 or so € and I'm extremely pissed at sony for pulling this. Any chance they'll be dropping any time soon ?
Anthuzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Shiren
Connoisseur
Shiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enoughShiren will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505/iPod Touch
To be fair, it's not the prices that have gone up, but the value of the Canadian Dollar that has gone down recently.

399 USD is now 502 CAD. 279 USD is now 351 CAD. Buying the PRS700 at 439 CAD or the PRS505 at 299 CAD is still better than ordering from the US.
Shiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Tectonic
Tech Lust
Tectonic began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700, HP iPaq 210
$279 is by far the best and rarest deal for a 505 in Canada. The price is already $349 in many stores for this model so it's a matter of days before everyone follows suit.
Tectonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:55 AM   #8
Pengo

Agreed - it is not looking like things will be getting any better too soon.

With that in mind, I jumped on the 'deal' at ncix.com at the last second. While it still shows the same price at Dell, (279.99 - thanks for pointing that out Shiren - it still shows no stock), it was in stock at ncix and I had a deal for free shipping. GST was applied, no PST (different province) - don't know what's applicable with Sonystyle.ca and Dell.ca.

It's unusual to see an electronic device that costs more now than it did when introduced a year previous (in Canada) and with a new model released in between. This particular market is moving quite slowly compared to other electronics. Unless you're really patient, it may not be worth waiting for better prices/newer models.
That being said, I'll be happy to finally have an e-ink device (should see it in a day or two).

Edit: ...and I still have yet to see a blue one available anywhere in Canucksville

Last edited by Pengo; 02-19-2009 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Wal Mart online is showing the silver and red at $274
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengo
Incidentally, did you happen to notice if they had any blue 505's at the physical store? (and have you seen the 700's screen to compare?).
As far as I know, we can only get silver and red here in Canada. The store I went to didn't have a 700 on display, just the 505. But my own reading preferences put display at the top of my importance list - and I don't really care about / need the extra features of the 700 - so, in my own case anyway, it was an easy decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver
Wal Mart online is showing the silver and red at $274
That's walmart.com (US), not walmart.ca (Canada). The Canadian Walmart online site doesn't list readers at all.

Last edited by JasonB; 02-20-2009 at 11:44 AM.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote