Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
niagara94
Enthusiast
niagara94 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note Pro
Adding Book Descriptions, Missing Covers

Hi - I'm pretty new to Calibre. I noticed that some of my books from Amazon are missing the photos of the covers and only a small number of books include descriptions. Is there and easier way to get the photos of the covers other than copying and pasting them from the website? Is there a way to get descriptions for all of the books instead of just a small number of books? Thanks!
niagara94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This should be of help...

http://dearauthor.com/ebooks/dear-ja...-with-calibre/
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
niagara94
Enthusiast

Thank you for the link. That did help. However, there were a few books that meta data or covers weren't able to be retrieved for. Is there a solution for that? Also, how do I add books that have been purchased since the first time I connected my tablet to Calibre? Thanks again.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You might also try the Search the Internet plugin. You'll still have to copy and paste from a website, but it makes it easy to look up an author and/or a book.

I use it so frequently to find covers that I almost never even use Calibre's built-in metadata downloader for covers, but you might prefer to use the metadata downloader first and Search the Internet only when that fails.

My favorite searches are FantasticFiction for author, Google Images for title, and (because I mainly read SF and Fantasy) ISFDB for author. Between those three, I've found decent quality covers for 99% of my books.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
niagara94
Enthusiast

Thank. youfor your reply. Can you paste in or edit descriptions and if so how? Also, how do you add books that have been added to your Kinndle library since you last connected to Calibre?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Usually copy image and paste works for covers though occasionally not in my experience. You can always copy and paste in the description. If you have older books without descriptions/covers just highlight them, go to edit metadata and download covers and descriptions. This can be done in bulk if you want.

I have found that often when Calibre has not been able to find covers and/or metadata it's because there is something wrong with the title, author or isbn number in the metadata. Checking title author are accurate, and deleting the isbn number can help.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
niagara94
Enthusiast

Rachel, Thanks for your reply. Do you know where in Calibre you would go to to copy and paste the description? Also, do you know how to find the new books in your collection on your tablet when you connect instead of it trying to download all of the books (or will it automatically just get the new books)? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Wherever you want to. It's commonly on the Comments field, but nothing prevents you from creating your own column. Just not all types of columns accept long text.
Hit 'e' and happy experimenting!

In case of Kindle I'd look at the settings (and read the manual!). Or search the Kindle thread.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by niagara94 View Post
Rachel, Thanks for your reply. Do you know where in Calibre you would go to to copy and paste the description? Also, do you know how to find the new books in your collection on your tablet when you connect instead of it trying to download all of the books (or will it automatically just get the new books)? Thanks.
The Bulk mode has a Search and Replace.
Don't let 'Replace' limit your thinking.
You can 'Replace (without destroying the Original) into an empty field.
S&R is very powerful. Take time (AND BACKUP your Library before you experiment. 1 wrong apply and ) You have Queries, patterns and modifiers all at your disposal. Very powerfull, it just takes time to learn

I have a 'User comments' field, for notes and things that I don't want to appear in the 'Jacket' ( the regular 'Comments' )

Your Kindle can sort by Date added (so you can see).

Kindle Automatic get? I don't know the Fire. But the books on the K4NT show in the 'device' list when it is connected. Nothing (books) Moves between Calibre and the K until you do something to make it happen.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
niagara94
Enthusiast

Thank you both for your help. I don't actually have a kindle but have a tablet running a kindle reading app. How would I go about backing up my library?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by niagara94 View Post
Thank you both for your help. I don't actually have a kindle but have a tablet running a kindle reading app. How would I go about backing up my library?
Just Backup the entire (Calibre) Library folder (include All contents)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
niagara94
Enthusiast

Ok - thanks!