Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Nurmart
Nurmart began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Creating an E-book

Hi everyone
my name is Martin and I am an Englishman living in Bonn, Germany, with my partner Nur.
Nur has wrote several novels and has handed them over to me in manuscript form to convert to e-books. I am having trouble finding-out how to do this.
Can this be done through "Calibre" or do I need to find special tools to do this?
Can anybody help me here!!
Kindest regards
Martin
Nurmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If you're using Windows you can run yWriter5 and export to a Calibre-friendly ebook file in HTML format.

Instructions here: http://www.spacejock.com.au/HowToPublishOnKindle.html

On the other hand, if you're using a Mac then Scrivener might be the way to go.
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurmart View Post
Hi everyone
my name is Martin and I am an Englishman living in Bonn, Germany, with my partner Nur.
Nur has wrote several novels and has handed them over to me in manuscript form to convert to e-books. I am having trouble finding-out how to do this.
Can this be done through "Calibre" or do I need to find special tools to do this?
Can anybody help me here!!
Kindest regards
Martin
I'll leave it to others to recommend the tools for converting various word processing formats to the various e-book formats. What I recommend is looking under the hood at what is involved in the process; learning about the various files and functions that go into the conversion. For example, here is a pretty straightforward tutorial that describes the process in detail for creating your own epubs:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xm...tut/index.html

I was pretty surprised at the level of complexity and the number of standards involved in the process. It took me a few days to re-familiarize myself with xml/xhtml protocols, but the experience was well worth it: false starts notwithstanding.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
welcome to MR!
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Martin and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
Nurmart

Hi everyone thank you for your welcome. A special thankyou to "Spacejock" your recomendation worked well, except for the cover, I had designed a cover in "Word" with a photo with the title over the photo, It would not download to the book. I can download just the photo, but it would not have the title on it. Any ideas!!
Martin
Old 10-07-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Nurmart

Hi Spacejock Everthing worked a treat, (promotion deleted - MODERATOR) Thank you for all the help, I can highly recomend "How to Publish on Kindle"
It was quite easy in the end. Once again thank you.
Martin

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-17-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #9
Nurmart

Poetry

Hi once again
Can anybody tell me how to formatt a poetry book for "Kindle" bearing in mind it has no chapters, just one poem per page.
Thankyou
Nurmart