Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 05-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #1
Metapath
Metapath began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Strange error downloading from content server

I've not seen this error discussed in other posts. I don't think the Calibre software is causing it, but don't know where else to seek help.

On my wife's gen 4 iPad mini, when clicking on "Download" for a book, it tries to download <book_title>.epub.txt which of course doesn't exist. The server is running on Windows 10 Pro 64bit. Rebooting the iPad doesn't help, nor does rebooting the server.

She can go to my backup server running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 and the download works fine. My older iPad mini works fine to both servers.

I see similar problems when using the Edge browser on my Windows Surface tablet, but the error reads "couldn't download - no permissions". Googling this error yields many different "fixes", none of which helped. Logging into the Surface tablet with a different user works fine!

Using Calibre release 5.17, but it has happened at various times with earlier releases. Any clues?
Metapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It will be some setting somewhere in your browser. Try a clean profile. Other than that not a lot of clues.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2021, 07:11 PM   #3
Metapath

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It will be some setting somewhere in your browser. Try a clean profile. Other than that not a lot of clues.
Thanks Kovid. A clean profile does work (I created a new Windows user, and that user can download books without errors, regardless of browser).

Now if I can just figure out what happens in the browser. Funny that Edge, Firefox, and Safari (on IOS) all exhibit the same problem.

I wonder if I added secure certificate to my server (HTTPS) would that eliminate the errors? I suspect the browsers are marking the download as unsafe.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:47 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Worth a try, nowadays all the browser vendors are extremely hostile to individuals running http servers.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
Metapath

Okay, I was able to reset the Safari browser on IOS by going to Settings / Safari / and selecting Clear History and Website Data (took 2 tries). I was also able to reset the profile in Windows Edge browser by selecting Settings (... 3 dots) and logging out of the profile in use. Haven't figured out Firefox yet, but you're right about browser settings causing the problem.

I'll save adding a secure certificate to the Content Server for a rainy day project.

Thanks again!
Advert