Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
nicktf
nicktf has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
First post and it's a disaster...

...I'd had my Kindle 2 for about 15 days and decided to show it off to my Father in Law. Of course, I fumbled the removal of the device from its neoprene wallet above the only non-carpeted floor in their house and it plunged 2.5 feet, landing on a corner. So now I have a Kindle 2 with an arc-shaped portion of the screen which is scrambled beyond repair, and no extended warranty. At some point, I will have to pay another $200 to get it fixed, though as it's still readable (though I can't see the wireless and battery indicator and I lose a few words from the first lines), so I may just live with it for a bit (or until the price of repairs drops).

I can't begin to tell you how annoyed I am with myself!

Cheers

Nick

(Currently re-reading all the Sherlock Holmes stories in order).
nicktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Sorry for your bad luck Nick, I doubt the price of repairs will drop, in fact I believe they just swap units
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Oh, thats awful! I'm sorry it happened to you.

Erv server is right......repairs won't be going down.

Hope it at least stays readable for you........
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

For the cost to go down the cost of screens will have to drop. Last I heard they were in the $150+ range.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Check your credit card's policy - just on the wild chance you have some protection.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Call customer service. Surely they will replace it, even if it is your fault. Just be very nice and polite, and ask them if they can do anything to help you. Mention that you were showing it to another potential customer when it dropped.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
Check your credit card's policy - just on the wild chance you have some protection.
Yes, that is an excellent idea.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #8
nicktf
nicktf has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 2
As a recent UK-US immigrant, I can't be trusted with a credit card yet, apparently, so it was paid for by Visa Debit. I had a lovely chat with the customer support lady, and although sympathetic and appreciative of my efforts to evangelise, could only make the $200 offer. To be honest, it was my stupid fault, though I'd dearly have loved it to be *slightly* more robust. Anyway, if a badly taken picture from a mobile phone speaks a thousand words...

Last edited by nicktf; 03-30-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Sorted picture link...
nicktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Not good but could be a worse failure, still quite a bit readable. Maybe you can hold out for the Kindle III
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've been exxxttreeeeemly lucky, as I've dropped my 505 twice onto hard surfaces (including asphalt) and the screen has survived. I'm sorry to hear about yours
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
That sucks! After you get the replacement, buy the extended warranty! (I've dropped my K2 once, onto the sidewalk, from about 3 feet, but it landed on its back and despite a little ding on the back was otherwise fine.)
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #12
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I feel for you. We all have accidents (that is why they are called accidents) and it could have happened to any of us. Probably will (knock on wood).

It's just things.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
Thomas Ryan
Connoisseur
Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Thomas Ryan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktf View Post
.... I had a lovely chat with the customer support lady, and although sympathetic and appreciative of my efforts to evangelise, could only make the $200 offer. [...]
Perhaps you should consider to point out to the customer service representative that the drop test video at amazon.com/kindle (scroll down a ways) shows a Kindle 2 falling just about the way you suggest, from the height you suggest.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mpd/permalink/m4HCF5T8XAN4K

Is this part of the overall advertisement for Kindle 2? I think so.

Hence, if I bought Kindle 2, I wouldn't expect the screen to break after a 30" fall to a hard surface. If it did break, I might think it was a defective unit. Perhaps they left the shock-absorber out at the factory? Or a screw is loose somewhere? Or maybe the internal helium chamber is defective and leaking? It's worth a try.

Unfortunately, if you prevail, Amazon will probably yank the video; which is a shame since it's fun to watch. On the other hand, Amazon has really smart lawyers, e.g. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41929, and they must have looked at the video, so maybe you are indeed stuck.

Last edited by Thomas Ryan; 03-30-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Thomas Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
That's horrible.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Whether or not the Kindle 1 or 2 breaks after a fall depends a lot on just how and where it hits. Sometimes they are fine, sometimes toast. They are electronic instruments, you just have to treat them as such.

However, its not Amazons responsibility to replace a device broken by our own carelessness.

The $200 offer, is more than fair, altho I understand not being able to shell it out two weeks after purchase!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote