Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Kindle 2 Crashed In Sleep Mode

Very odd, but I just happened to look over to my K2 (maybe it flashed) and saw it was rebooting. It had been in sleep mode with the screensaver up, and wireless turned off, and it had indexed all its books, so it shouldn't have been *doing* anything. But nevertheless it rebooted. Seems fine now, though.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
It's having indigestion from all the titles you force fed it.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I've noticed that happening on mine from time to time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
It's having indigestion from all the titles you force fed it.
She's been relatively stable at 1100 books and 50MB free; search and text-to-speech all seems to work. I did notice after the reboot a book that had been previously indexed had to be reindexed; perhaps it periodically reindexes books?
Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #5
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

or burps
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Mine restarts for no apparent reason once in a while. Irritating.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

K2 is a very problematic younger sibling to a K1.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've had this occasionally with no ill effects, so I haven't given it much thought. Having said that, I would be curious to know why it does it.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
girlzilla
Lizard in a Tutu
girlzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, MSI Wind
What is Kindle doing when you say "indexing?"
girlzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlzilla View Post
What is Kindle doing when you say "indexing?"
When you put a new book on the Kindle, it has to scan the book through its memory and create an index file so searches on the book are much faster. It takes anywhere from 15 seconds to 2 minutes per book to index.

If you add several books to Kindle at once, then do a search for a word, you'll get a list of matches followed by a listing of "Not Yet Indexed". You can click on that and see which books are not yet indexed and watch the Kindle index them one-by-one.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #11
girlzilla
Lizard in a Tutu
girlzilla began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, MSI Wind
Red face

Thanks!

Also, is it bad for the Kindle 2 to keep turning it completely off, let's say every night?

Right now I just let it sleep, but I'm wondering if I should be turning it off at night, on nights when I'm not charging it.

I keep the wireless off to conserve power.

I use it every day.
girlzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur

There's no real reason to turn it off; just let it go to sleep.