Notices

Old 08-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
parryl
Enthusiast
parryl began at the beginning.

Device: iliad / nokia 6600 slide
iliad for office doc

hi,

i am looking towards purchasing the iliad for classified office doc ?

using the iliad book edition with some DRM type of doc controls and RFID tagging the device to monitor the movement of the device in the office .

any comments ?

parryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #2
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
What kind of documents are they? Word documents? The only way to currently open those in native format is through ABIWord. Which, honestly, isn't all that great on the iLiad. And I"m not sure it supports any DRM or protection.

I'd assume an RFID tag could be attached to the iLiad without a problem.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
parryl
Enthusiast

internal office doc , mostly open office doc and ms office doc . some will be in PDF.

there are lot of papers moving in the office ,some i feel should not be out of the office buildings . but some time senior ex tend to print them out and bring them home for reading and work .

which i think is a source of information leak. does any one has any update on the iliad used for library ?
Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
parryl, you could convert all your classified documents to PDF, put them on USB sticks with RFID tags on them and view them in your iLiads without loading a 3rd party reader.

You can use fingerprint authenticated USB sticks in iLiads, if you need extra security. You can't use password protected USB sticks in iLiads.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbell View Post
parryl, you could convert all your classified documents to PDF, put them on USB sticks with RFID tags on them and view them in your iLiads without loading a 3rd party reader.

You can use fingerprint authenticated USB sticks in iLiads, if you need extra security. You can't use password protected USB sticks in iLiads.
Interesting. I had not heard about these before. I did a search and unfortunately this was the first hit: Easy to crack
Still, I'll look some more at these. I don't recall if anyone has tried porting gpg to the iliad. I wonder if that would be possible. If so I could imagine having encrypted files on a usb key, and a contentlister entry on the iliad that decrypts/re-encrypts the files. Or perhaps truecrypt. I'm not able to port stuff, but perhaps others have some idea?
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
Ovydake
Ovydake began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
And what happens if one takes the USB stick home... or is the RFID offering enough protection when trying to get out of the building?
Ovydake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 07:46 AM   #7
parryl
Enthusiast

tagging the usb drives is a great idea . thanks guys